PDA

View Full Version : Hello from MA

Turboomni
01-10-2020, 08:50 PM
Hey guys and gals. New member here. Long story short ,had a CB in the 70's early 80's then life got in the way. I was looking at CB radios on the internet recently for kicks and my daughter saw this,,so guess what I got for Xmas? A Uniden Pro 505XL I think it is called. Seems decent and I got a mag mount for my car. It ain't like the old days! But the reason I am back and considering exploring this further is I was always fascinated as a kid and now with long range. Even studied and practising morse code when in High School then girls got in the way. Seriously considering getting together a nice SSB Base station together and attempt this. No linears in mind ,just stock or tweeked legal power and have some fun.
Looking forward to reading the forums here for info.

whiteastro
01-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Welcome back to our Nightmare. There is a lot of us who have returned to our roots and there is many who never left. They are the real sick ones. LOL I am at the point I want to start leaning about doing a little peak and tune for myself. Lot of people throwing out old CBs so there should be some sacrificial lambs out there. Welcome aboard!

Turboomni
01-11-2020, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome. I have been contemplating building my own base station antenna. Would love to know how to peak and tune but will leave that for the experts. Maybe someday. Do most guys doing dx on ssb run amplifiers??

whiteastro
01-11-2020, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately yes if you want to be heard a amp will help. When skip rolls in it is a mad house of operators all competing for air time and a barefoot operator will be covered over. When I first got back into cb radio and tried to talk skip on SSB I only got acknowledged once while I was running barefoot. You can get a cheap little mobile amp for around $70.00 at Cooper Electronics that will boost your wattage up around 200 watts and you will be heard. But wait for the Pros in here to chime in and they will set you straight. Mike

Turboomni
01-12-2020, 06:22 PM
Ok thanks ,I won't rule out an amp. Got to keep up with the times!