PDA

View Full Version : first contact

Mrmagoo
02-22-2020, 08:51 PM
had my first chat on UK 40(fm) today with a guy down the road he was doing 5w I was doing 4w my antenna is a telescopic whip his is an external antenna but when the channel became more active I wasn't having any luck getting out of picking anyone else up but could be his far out they are as his can go up to a fair few watts I'm set at 4 but hopefully next time we will have a guy 3 miles out joining in but at least now I now it's active in my area and all I need to do is set up a better antenna or possibly just get a house with an upper level and if the weather is ok poke the whip out the window.

But you know what the hour I had in cb was much better then the hours and hours I used to spend on Facebook Twitter Instagram ect

03-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Congrats on the first contact! Portable radios are a lot of fun.

Sticky Fingers
05-07-2020, 05:50 AM
Congrats on your first contact , FM is a bit limiting due to needing to have a fairly substantial signal for anyone more than a few km to hear you especially on a hand held radio....... save some more pennies and buy an export radio with AM FM SSB etc and a good antenna and you will make a whole lot more contacts...... Be aware that this hobby makes money mysteriously disappear lol...... My money has been vanishing for 47 years haha.