PDA

View Full Version : MFJ-260B 300W Dry dummy load

whiteastro
02-24-2020, 10:48 PM
I picked this Item up tonight for $25.00 with some other CB stuff a guy was selling. Any body had any experience with these dummy loads, are they any good? I thought the price didn't sound too bad and might be alright for occasional use.:help:

mjd420nova
02-26-2020, 07:35 PM
If you're looking for a space heater while Dx'ing, a dry dummy load will work well but probably won't last long. Use the old tried and true method, a Heathkit dummy in a can filled with mineral oil. Good for a KW at least.

whiteastro
02-26-2020, 07:44 PM
If you're looking for a space heater while Dx'ing, a dry dummy load will work well but probably won't last long. Use the old tried and true method, a Heathkit dummy in a can filled with mineral oil. Good for a KW at least.

Well I know I have a lot to learn but I figured I would only use it testing stock radios running 4 watts while making a few minor adjustments. But maybe I'm all wet! LOL

BOOTY MONSTER
02-28-2020, 10:48 PM
i know nothing about them , but this may come in handy .

http://www.wirelessgirl.net/Projects/MFJDummyLoad.html

whiteastro
02-29-2020, 05:49 AM
i know nothing about them , but this may come in handy .

http://www.wirelessgirl.net/Projects/MFJDummyLoad.html

Thanks BM for the good info on this home owner grade dummy load. It looks like it it will be at home with the rest of my home owner grade equipment on my bench. Now I'm sorry I didn't take a Re-interest in this hobby when I was younger and learn the technical and buy good equipment because it would be a good retirement job for a Old guy setting at a bench. There is a lack of good CB techs. all over so you wouldn't have a lot of competition and it would be easier on the old arthritis bod. My shop is full of good welding and fabrication equipment but the Old Bod just doesn't like crawling and climbing anymore so it is limited to saving me money. LOL Thanks again for your knowledge and help. Mike

BOOTY MONSTER
02-29-2020, 11:30 AM
you're very welcome . but i only provided a link .

yea , getting older sucks .

whiteastro
02-29-2020, 02:28 PM
you're very welcome . but i only provided a link .

yea , getting older sucks .
Don't underestimate the value of a link, all information and knowledge is priceless when you don't have it! I can spend a lot of time on the internet searching and getting frustrated so all help is great and it was a site I didn't see when I did my brief search. Awe yes so much to learn and do and so little time! LOL Thanks again

BOOTY MONSTER
02-29-2020, 03:21 PM
well .. if you like links to info this one might give you wood

https://www.eham.net/reviews

mjd420nova
02-29-2020, 05:49 PM
One quick and easy dummy load for the 4 watt units is the old style bayonet type 57 lamp. File down the nibs on the side and it will slide right into a PL-259. It offers a 50 ohm load.

whiteastro
03-01-2020, 07:58 AM
One quick and easy dummy load for the 4 watt units is the old style bayonet type 57 lamp. File down the nibs on the side and it will slide right into a PL-259. It offers a 50 ohm load.
Thanks that is interesting info and I have to laugh because I have learned there is tricks to every trade that you don't know unless you work in that field. That is why I'm happy for all the different people I have known and worked with, they have all shared a piece of their pie! LOL