PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy (DX 2547) Advice

whiteastro
03-10-2020, 07:33 AM
I am considering making a final purchase of a Galaxy DX 2547 base station from Bob's cb shop with a tune up but would like to hear from everyone if Galaxy base stations drift also. I grow tired of fixing problems with Old equipment but I don't want to buy into New junk either. I figure if I took a trip to pick it up I could take my 2 ea. DX 979 in to have checked for alignment. Anybody have experience with this Galaxy base station? Thanks in advance from a Dreamer LOL:welcoming:

Turboomni
03-10-2020, 01:46 PM
This isn't Bob's CB shop in Saratoga NY is it??

whiteastro
03-10-2020, 02:07 PM
No this is Bob's CB shop in PA. He's kind of pricey but they say he is good! https://www.bobscb.com/shop/home.html
Check it out.

Turboomni
03-10-2020, 03:02 PM
I read that the galaxy base station even though it is a 959 is less prone to drift because it is a base station and doesn't go through the temp swings as a mobile

whiteastro
03-10-2020, 03:51 PM
There is probably some truth to that thought because of a more stable environment but I just watched a video by cbradiomagazine.com and they did say it drifted a little at warm up. Not anybody really left making CB base stations so the picking is slim. I have a guy checking on getting my Washington re-capped but I bet the price on that is scary! The Galaxy DX2547 is actually made by Ranger from what they were saying. I might have to use a mobile as a base station like so many of my brothers.

Turboomni
03-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Base stations are cool! Although I would love to have one I just wanted to get back into CB DX as cheaply as possible without getting junk. So thanks to you and the many others here I think I made some wise economical choices.
So I got my used Uniden 980 for 70 bucks that had been gone through ,50 ft of coax for 53, Bazooka antenna for 50 and my KL 203 for 55. I have power supplies. So 223 bucks to give it a go! Not bad. I bet Ham would cost a lot more.
A Uniden Washington would be very cool to have. How much you figure it will cost to re cap?

whiteastro
03-10-2020, 04:45 PM
Base stations are cool! Although I would love to have one I just wanted to get back into CB DX as cheaply as possible without getting junk. So thanks to you and the many others here I think I made some wise economical choices.
So I got my used Uniden 980 for 70 bucks that had been gone through ,50 ft of coax for 53, Bazooka antenna for 50 and my KL 203 for 55. I have power supplies. So 223 bucks to give it a go! Not bad. I bet Ham would cost a lot more.
A Uniden Washington would be very cool to have. How much you figure it will cost to re cap?

I don't know on the recap job, he hasn't got back to me yet. The parts don't sound like much but the labor will be a killer at what people want to make today. Yes you don't have much in your system. Now all you have to do is keep yourself under control. LOL I could stop right now if I decided to use my 980 as a base. Maybe I'll call Bob's CB shop tomorrow and see what a recap job would cost.

Turboomni
03-10-2020, 07:12 PM
Uniden washington in good working order I have seen on ebay for at least 200 bucks + ridiculous shipping. I can't imagine it could cost much more than 100 bucks to re cap it. I don't know for sure. But what a radio that is. Has a cult following.

whiteastro
03-11-2020, 05:38 AM
Uniden washington in good working order I have seen on ebay for at least 200 bucks + ridiculous shipping. I can't imagine it could cost much more than 100 bucks to re cap it. I don't know for sure. But what a radio that is. Has a cult following.

The problem is my locale CB repair guy has to send the Washington to the guy who is teaching him the repair business. So you have Parts, Freight, and labor of 2 middle men, then what next will it be with that Old Washington. I am starting to get impressed with Cobra radio Ears. ( I have 3 Cobra mobiles but no SSB ) They all seem to have good ears. Too many decisions in having fun! LOL

BushHawg35
02-27-2022, 10:47 PM
I've owned many Galaxy SSB radios over the last twenty years and have never had one drift on me, but I've heard folks say they know of one that has done this. Anyway, it always seems to be for the first 15 minutes after turning on when they could, until they warm up.
I leave all my rigs on 24/7 so, there is no warm up time, they already there and fully ready to work when the DX starts.