PDA

View Full Version : This might be of interest and good for discussion!

whiteastro
05-09-2020, 04:13 PM
Found this article on the internet and thought some might like to read it and throw in their 2 cents. Didn't sound like the guy was well educated on the subject to me, but I'm no expert either! Have fun!

https://thetravelinsider.info/2003/0815.htm

JesseJamesDallas
05-09-2020, 05:05 PM
Didn't read the whole article...(mainly because I have little to no experience with the other type radios) But what he had to say in regards to CB, sounded pretty much right on the money...(with maybe a exception to the "ideal" length of a cb antenna being 15'...not sure where he came up with that figure but 21-24' I would agree with)

whiteastro
05-09-2020, 05:35 PM
Didn't read the whole article...(mainly because I have little to no experience with the other type radios) But what he had to say in regards to CB, sounded pretty much right on the money...(with maybe a exception to the "ideal" length of a cb antenna being 15'...not sure where he came up with that figure but 21-24' I would agree with)
Yes the 15' had me scratching my head also and wondering where he got his info from. But anyway some guys talk about using other radios besides CB so it is a source of info. I do use the other radios for Hunting radios and they do have their good points ( Quite ) and bad points ( Range ) Mostly range is affected by our Hills & Trees!

Foxtrot
05-11-2020, 01:51 AM
Part 4 of the article goes into talking about murs which is a game changer. Channels 1-5 are near what 2 meter ham is also its 2 watts of power.

whiteastro
05-11-2020, 06:26 AM
murs is the only one I haven't dabbled in so I don't know much about it, but 2 watts doesn't seem like much. But it looks like a good google search option for a slow day. Ham is starting to interest me a little but first I'm going to change the location of my M400 Star Duster antenna and raise it to the Max my coax will allow.

mjd420nova
05-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Trying to remember the wavelength formula but if I remember correctly, one wavelength for 27 megacycles(old school) is 27 feet and 7 inches. Matching coils and gamma feed designs can make any length work.

whiteastro
05-13-2020, 11:46 AM
Trying to remember the wavelength formula but if I remember correctly, one wavelength for 27 megacycles(old school) is 27 feet and 7 inches. Matching coils and gamma feed designs can make any length work.

I have to laugh because your in over my Head. LOL

JesseJamesDallas
05-13-2020, 02:57 PM
Actually....36' for 11 Meter.

whiteastro
05-13-2020, 05:52 PM
I had to check to find out megahertz and megacycle are the same because I'm not a trained electronic man. LOL

JesseJamesDallas
05-13-2020, 07:14 PM
I had to check to find out megahertz and megacycle are the same because I'm not a trained electronic man. LOL

I like this explanation the best:

As nouns the difference between megahertz and megacycle is that megahertz is a unit equal to one-million cycles per second while megacycle is megahertz.

Sticky Fingers
06-22-2020, 09:04 AM
Hmmmm read that article and from my use of PRS (personal radio service ) here in NZ (477mhz) it's not quite as bad as he makes out. I have a friend about 5 miles from my home to his and we can talk simplex on handheld baofeng radios no problem at all.... he's in the country and i'm in town.... might be different in a city though. And CB radio 5 miles..... you have got to be kidding me. I regularly talk to a mate from my mobile to his mobile, we are 60 miles apart with a mountain range between us and we can talk just fine on SSB , AM is a total waste of time at that distance. I don't know where they come up with the stuff in these articles but I think it must be the worst case scenario there talking about. If all I could do is 5 miles on my CB radio I wouldn't bother with it. Even when I go to the city (Wellington) here in NZ I can still talk 20-30 miles on my CB .

whiteastro
06-23-2020, 06:21 AM
When I read that article I thought that guy wasn't well versed in radio because there is too many different factors that control range of signal!

mjd420nova
06-23-2020, 06:12 PM
Sun spot cycles, which is at a minimum now, affect even short distances. Tricks can be played using the solar energy to propel or even back scatter a signal to areas unreachable any other way. Two good clean 100 watt PEP SSB will get a good 120 miles, mobile to mobile and 200 miles base to base on omni antennas and whips. Beam antennas can enlarge an area of borderline signals and enhance solar effects during peak cycles.