PDA

View Full Version : Got the bug

Pumpkinhead
07-11-2020, 08:05 AM
I joined to read more threads and pick up advice. Back in the 90s as a kid we all had radios and it seemed easier with less interference using cheap mag mounts and mostly stock radios. Now as a local aggregate hauler it's becoming a useful tool and a bit of a hobby.
I'll probably be getting a ham license and definitely setting up a little base station for SHTF between a few family households. Currently running a galaxy 959 with a wilson antenna on the truck. Thanks for posting over the years, I've learned just from reading other people's questions.

Turboomni
07-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! I had one as a kid in the 70's 80's and just picked it up again this year. What is different for me now is I am into SSB and skip. Couldn't afford a SSB radio when a kid.

Pumpkinhead
07-13-2020, 02:36 AM
I'm also trying SSB thinking its an easy way to cover more distance. Bought my dad a bearcat 980 for Father's day and have been able to get faint contact at 15 miles. ( I know my local topography, I was elevated) I'm wanting to set up a base station but after having ground issues on my truck there is some reading to be done before I ask dumb questions.

whiteastro
07-14-2020, 05:42 AM
welcome aboard and good luck!