PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Linear can damage vehicles computer?

Josh904
07-23-2020, 05:56 PM
Anyone ever heard of installing a linear amp in a newer vehicle being a risk to damage to the vehicles computer?

JesseJamesDallas
07-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Newest vehicle I have installed one in was a 2017 Chevy cargo van...(4-pill) no issues with it...

They "can" interfere with the computers, causing weird things like motor stalling, or bucking, lights flicker, wipers turn on when talking, but never heard of one actually damaging the computers...That's not saying they won't, just depends on the install, the radio, vehicle...Just no way to tell if your going to have problems...lot's of variables...

I would say, if your not comfortable installing one, then you may want to just run the radio as-is...Running Amps with CB's is a gamble anyway you look at it...

07-24-2020, 09:41 AM
I've heard of higher power HF amps damaging car computers. I remember reading about a case where a guy was running a kilowatt amp on 75 Meters, transmitting while passing an 18 wheeler. Signal reflected back from the side of the truck and killed his computer.

Buzzweiser
10-20-2020, 12:47 AM
A small amp (4 pills or less) shouldn't be an issue if wired correctly and placed away from the computer. The metal box on a car computer is a faraday cage to prevent interference. Now I probably wouldnt want to put an old mobile tube amp in a newer vehicle of any wattage but the transistor amps arent too bad unless you got a garage built class C. I did briefly have one of those and it would trip my wipers.
73's