PDA

View Full Version : Which antenna do I need ???

Wizard1962
08-20-2020, 04:07 PM
Okay, going to put my Cobra 29 LTD in my new to me, 2018 Ford F150. I have heard conflicting stories on what antenna to use because these trucks are all aluminum. Some say only a no ground plane antenna system like firestick NGP will work. Others say a standard Firestick will work.
So fill me in with some of y,all's wisdom.

Thanks !

Heretic
08-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Okay, going to put my Cobra 29 LTD in my new to me, 2018 Ford F150. I have heard conflicting stories on what antenna to use because these trucks are all aluminum. Some say only a no ground plane antenna system like firestick NGP will work. Others say a standard Firestick will work.
So fill me in with some of y,all's wisdom.

Thanks !

There is no reason an aluminum body vehicle doesnt serve as a suitable ground plane, except grounding. There is some talk that aluminum body component grounding to the frame is at issue. Corrosion issues. I expect supplementing the factory grounding with a few well placed wide braided copper grounding straps onto both cab and box will solve the issue. Placed so that periodic (annual) inspection is easily performed.

Enjoy the Cobra 29. I have an LTDC.

Wizard1962
08-22-2020, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the post and information. I decided to try one of the firestick NGP antenna systems. The SWR is 1 but it doesnt seem to transmit or receive very well. Not sure what the issue is, might try a standard antenna system and see if it works any better

JesseJamesDallas
08-22-2020, 07:21 AM
The truck is aluminum....Most antennas are "ALUMINUM"...why would you think a aluminum antenna wouldn't work on a aluminum truck?

We're not talking about a plastic truck...And even then, like allot of Big Rigs now days that are mostly plastic or fiberglass, they still run regular aluminum antennas....

NGP antennas are for things like boats and RV's.

Wizard1962
08-22-2020, 07:44 AM
Good point Jesse James, I got caught up in the hype that these aluminum trucks needed the NGP plane antenna. I'm gonna go standard, has to work better than this crap.
Thanks

JesseJamesDallas
08-23-2020, 07:23 PM
Good point Jesse James, I got caught up in the hype that these aluminum trucks needed the NGP plane antenna. I'm gonna go standard, has to work better than this crap.
Thanks
Now granted your going to have a hard time finding a "magnet mount" that will work on that aluminum truck! :hurt:

But should have no problem using a hockey puck type mount or ball mount.