PDA

View Full Version : GE CB handheld advice

whiteastro
08-25-2020, 07:28 PM
Been thinking about modifying my GE CB with it's Rubber Duckie antenna with a adapter so I could change it to a BNC (?) Steel extendable Cb antenna like on other hand helds. It would be nice to be able to throw it in my motorcycle backpack or on my ATV for those mountain top excursions when I want to play. I have all the adapters for external power and CB antenna but don't want to deal with external antennas for my toys. Anyone ever do this and do you know where to get a adapter to change it to BNC (?) The male thread on the Rubber Duckie antenna looks like 5/16 but I haven't checked that out close yet either, could be metric. Haven't located too much fine detail on the radio. Hopefully some one has been down this road and willing to share. Thanks in advance and PS the radio is already bought and paid for so I don't want to buy another.

mjd420nova
09-05-2020, 09:30 PM
That whole threaded piece is the antenna, a BNC would put the emitting on the outside of the connector, not the center conductor. Soldering in the end if a telescoping antenna would work but take some work to get a good hot joint so no cold joints arise.

whiteastro
09-06-2020, 04:23 AM
Been thinking about modifying my GE CB with it's Rubber Duckie antenna with a adapter so I could change it to a BNC (?) Steel extendable Cb antenna like on other hand helds. It would be nice to be able to throw it in my motorcycle backpack or on my ATV for those mountain top excursions when I want to play. I have all the adapters for external power and CB antenna but don't want to deal with external antennas for my toys. Anyone ever do this and do you know where to get a adapter to change it to BNC (?) The male thread on the Rubber Duckie antenna looks like 5/16 but I haven't checked that out close yet either, could be metric. Haven't located too much fine detail on the radio. Hopefully some one has been down this road and willing to share. Thanks in advance and PS the radio is already bought and paid for so I don't want to buy another.

Thanks for the comeback and confirming some of my fears. I'll probably just forget the whole idea because I have bigger fish to fry. That GE walkie talkie works great when it is hooked to a external mag-mount antenna and I get good reports from people on it and it has all forty channels. Hard to make a silk purse from a sows ear. I do have a Radio Shack walkie talkie with a long telescoping center load antenna but it's only 6 channels and channel 19 is the only commonly used channel on it. Back to the drawing board! LOL