PDA

View Full Version : New user,maybe!

Sonoma99
12-31-2020, 06:30 AM
Have been out of radio since mid 80's.Thinking about setting up a base again.Mainly ssb.Are there a lot of users out there like back in the 80's.Is it worth the money to set up again?

K4NRK
12-31-2020, 05:14 PM
I was given a Bearcat 880 as a Christmas Gift from my son. I Like you gave up CBing in the 80's due to the uncontrolled Vulgarity. I then went into Ham and got a General Lic in 2013. Due to wife's health & Passing I haven't any Radioing in several years. I would like to set this Bearcat up as a base station but I can't remember enough to know if I need to ground it.

Sonoma99
01-01-2021, 12:11 AM
Good question.I can't remember much either.I'm thinking about getting back on since Severe Rheumatoid Arthritis has made my usual hobbies extremely hard to do.

whiteastro
01-01-2021, 09:00 AM
There is a lot of us old timers that have got back into cb again. I'm 70 and there is no such thing as a day without pain so sometimes you need to change your hobbies to take your mind off of things. I don't believe grounding your radio ever hurt anything. Welcome back but the CB isn't as active as it use to be but the challenge is still there especially if you get into Side-band.

Turboomni
01-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Ground your base antenna. Welcome back.

whiteastro
01-02-2021, 07:09 AM
My old Palomar 300A has a ground lug on it and it was put there for a reason.

mjd420nova
01-02-2021, 09:45 PM
YES, above all else, be sure you have a good ground. Don't rely on the ground from the outlet. Lightning protection is needed too. Some surge protection would be a wise investment also.

JesseJamesDallas
01-03-2021, 03:36 PM
Have been out of radio since mid 80's.Thinking about setting up a base again.Mainly ssb.Are there a lot of users out there like back in the 80's.Is it worth the money to set up again?
Short and to the point "NO"...And there never will be again either!

But there are people (mostly older people who like yourself, get back in)

Like back in the 70's and 80's, when skips rolling you won't be able to get a word in inch-wise, and to get your name called your going to need a amp in most cases....not so much on ssb, a good base antenna and set-yp is all you need on the ssb channels usually...of course a little fire-n-the-wire doesn't hurt...

Just don't expect skip (dx) to be rolling every time you turn on the radio.