PDA

View Full Version : Old School Antenna's

karfk
03-30-2021, 04:28 AM
Hi all

Were do you get old school antenna's now, who makes them here in AUS any one know, I've only found one site so far Shock Wave Antennas. Any info on them, I haven't heard back from them yet.

Looking at buying a V Quad and a station Master, I have few old school rigs at home

any info would be great

cheers

Cedar Mountain Radio
04-05-2021, 01:09 AM
V-quads are excellent performers but I prefer a diamond (or square) quad for selectable dual polarization because horizontal will slam DX but for working locals, many of who will only have a vertical on the base as pretty much ALL local mobiles, you'll need vertical polarization.
You can do like many operators do and also have a vertical omnidirectional like an Antron99, Imax(Max)2000 or Shockwave 5/8 but you won't have the advantages of having a beam in the vertical polarization if you only have a horizontal beam.
A diamond configuration quad can typically be switched from one to the other polarization.

BOOTY MONSTER
04-12-2021, 08:13 PM
very politely asking folks who have antennas that look like they've been up for a few decades or more if they still use them may get you where you want to be . if they don't use them and want them down you may get it for free outside of your labor to get it down . but be careful to ask only where you think you can do it safely and don't mess with anything near power lines . i've had my eye on a astroplane for 3 years now , but i know it's way more than my back can handle :( ....... ya gotta choose ya battles .

hfgrinder
04-13-2021, 10:21 AM
Depending on the area, if it's flat a 1/2 Lambda is great. Surrounded by hills a 5/8 with radials can be better. For more juice I like J pole Antennas because if something got messed up its simply can be made more stable without messing with coils inside the rod. Quads and horizontal Antennas like 3 elements or more are awesome for dxing. Old antennas which are outside for decades sometimes have contacts issues but can simply be disassembled and put some grease on where the elements connect. If you get some aluminum elements in the right sizes you can make a jpole very easy but it sucks to get the right swr the first time. .