PDA

View Full Version : New BearTracker 885...

Shindig
06-04-2021, 03:01 AM
Hello everyone! I’m new to CB radio. I started by getting a handheld Midland 75-822, and thought it was cool as heck. Shortly after, I decided I had to get a dedicated unit for my truck. After about a hundred YT videos, and still not knowing a lot about CB radio I bought and installed a Uniden BearTracker 885. So far I’m pleased with it, except for one thing. I could do with a better antenna set up too; but that’s a different story altogether...

So I read and reread the manual till I became familiar with the features and operation. The Scanner part, seems to work just as Uniden claims. A stripped down scanner, by comparison to a dedicated unit, I know... But still, it does what they said. Here’s my newbie problem...

I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get the unit to scan the CB stations. Being that the unit is a CB/Scanner hybrid, I assumed that surely this feature is present in this CB radio. So I reread the manual. Again, and again... Still seeing no mention of how to get the unit to do this. My Midland handheld scans, stops for a second when it hears traffic, and gives me the chance to PTT, and join the conversation. So I can’t imagine that this higher dollar dedicated unit doesn’t have a similar feature. I have to be missing something. Don’t I..? The manual doesn’t help. Can’t find any videos, or threads on this particular feature; and random button, knob, combo pressing, and spinning has yielded nothing...

Any ideas?

whiteastro
06-04-2021, 04:56 AM
From what I read at the Uniden site is the Scanner is FM only.

https://uniden.com/collections/cb-radios/products/beartracker-885-hybrid-cb-radio-digital-scanner

Shindig
06-04-2021, 05:19 AM
So... It’s as I suspected. It can’t scan the CB frequencies... Seems like an oversight for a hybrid scanner/CB... Not necessarily the answer I was hoping to hear; but much appreciated none the less. I was really hoping I was having a big dummy moment...

whiteastro
06-04-2021, 06:54 AM
That isn't the only oversight on their part. I might have been interested if the CB had Side-band also.

Shindig
06-05-2021, 05:48 AM
Yeah, you live you learn I guess. Still it’s what I’ve got, and for now it gets me started in the hobby. Now if I can learn to understand the relationship between the squelch, and the RF gain dial...

whiteastro
06-06-2021, 06:56 AM
Yeah, you live you learn I guess. Still it’s what I’ve got, and for now it gets me started in the hobby. Now if I can learn to understand the relationship between the squelch, and the RF gain dial...

Someone posted a article about that relationship and I thought I bookmarked it but I can't find it so I might have removed it from my bookmarks. As far as I know RF gain controls the strength of the receive signal your radio will allow, and squelch control the noise thresh-hold your CB will allow to break thru. But I could be wrong !

whiteastro
06-07-2021, 05:37 AM
Hello everyone! I’m new to CB radio. I started by getting a handheld Midland 75-822, and thought it was cool as heck. Shortly after, I decided I had to get a dedicated unit for my truck. After about a hundred YT videos, and still not knowing a lot about CB radio I bought and installed a Uniden BearTracker 885. So far I’m pleased with it, except for one thing. I could do with a better antenna set up too; but that’s a different story altogether...

So I read and reread the manual till I became familiar with the features and operation. The Scanner part, seems to work just as Uniden claims. A stripped down scanner, by comparison to a dedicated unit, I know... But still, it does what they said. Here’s my newbie problem...

I cannot for the life of me, figure out how to get the unit to scan the CB stations. Being that the unit is a CB/Scanner hybrid, I assumed that surely this feature is present in this CB radio. So I reread the manual. Again, and again... Still seeing no mention of how to get the unit to do this. My Midland handheld scans, stops for a second when it hears traffic, and gives me the chance to PTT, and join the conversation. So I can’t imagine that this higher dollar dedicated unit doesn’t have a similar feature. I have to be missing something. Don’t I..? The manual doesn’t help. Can’t find any videos, or threads on this particular feature; and random button, knob, combo pressing, and spinning has yielded nothing...

Any ideas?

Do yourself a favor and get a Cobra HATA Extendable antenna for your Midland 75-822 like I did for mine. It will extend your range considerably. I got a radio check from About 15 miles with it on channel 19 but I was high on a mountain. I bought 2 antennas from Walcott Radio so I would have a spare, at a fair price compared to other places. You can also get rechargeable NMHD batteries at 2600 MAH in a set for your radio which should last longer. Them rubber ducky antennas are a bad joke.

Shindig
06-07-2021, 09:33 AM
When I bought the handheld, I also bought a 30” mag mount, and this 4’ foldable one ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07VF563FB?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title ) I have been using the mag mount on my porch with fairly good results. I’m contemplating a 108” whip. I just started a thread on it. I’m gonna look into your antenna, and battery suggestions though. The rechargeables I have now don’t last to long if I get chatty...

whiteastro
06-07-2021, 06:18 PM
The antenna from amazon looks interesting for short emergency use, but might get unruly for long casual use.

Shindig
06-07-2021, 06:29 PM
The antenna from amazon looks interesting for short emergency use, but might get unruly for long casual use.
Agreed. I keep it in my “Get Home Bag” that I keep in the work truck. Not really meant for day, to day, but... If I gotta take the shoe leather express home... It’s an option...