PDA

View Full Version : Stryker 490hp help

Chevyboy89
02-02-2022, 06:46 AM
Hello all, new user here from the Bluegrass state with a odd problem. I was given a 490 Stryker still in the box by a family member who doesn't use any form of cb, how he got it I'll never know. While in use I noticed when I talked the meter will stop swinging and I'm no longer able to hear the Roger beep through the TalkBack speaker. I can cycle the power once or sometimes many and it might work for 3-4 minutes and will stop swinging mid conversation. What could the problem be? My standing wave is below 1.5 on 1 and 40. I appreciate any and all help.

JesseJamesDallas
02-03-2022, 08:54 PM
Not sure how your powering the radio, sounds like the power source is being drained to the point the radio stops transmitting...

The 490 is a 100watt radio and takes more to operate than a standard CB, so it could be just too much radio for however your powering it.

Could also be a bad solder joint problem, could be a bad Mic or mic connector, hard to say not having the radio sitting right in front of you on a bench...

Chevyboy89
02-04-2022, 08:24 AM
I have it powered directly from my battery (mobile). Where should one start looking in regards to solder joints? The talk circuit? I have reflowed the mic male connecter solder joints and no change when it happened after I got it in November.

JesseJamesDallas
02-04-2022, 10:05 AM
Take the bottom cover off so you can see the bottom side of the circuit board, then get a pincel and using the eraser end, start rubbing around the solder joints where components are soldered in, while also keying the mic and watching the meter...

If there's a lose connection somewhere you should notice on the meter a change...have the volume turned up so you can hear the speaker also for any changes...while your at it, look for any scorched spots on the board or breaks in the trace's...

Be sure to have either your antenna or a dummy load hooked up so not to damage the radio any further also...

Chevyboy89
02-05-2022, 12:05 PM
I did find a potentiometer that only has one leg soldered to the board, I can push in that area of the board and it seems like it solves the issue. I have photos but can't seem to post them from my phone.

JesseJamesDallas
02-05-2022, 06:18 PM
stick a soldering gun to it, and that may solve your problem!