PDA

View Full Version : Wind Load Causes variance in SWR

Alabama Buckeye
03-12-2022, 12:06 AM
Am I correct in my understanding that Wind Load causes a + variance in SWR?

I'm not terribly concerned, unless the increase is significant, but if the variance true I should expect such with my Imax 2000. Surely the angle toward the horizon will change but I don't understand how that would influence reflected power?

JesseJamesDallas
03-12-2022, 03:54 PM
Unless your talking about hurricane or tornado strength winds...wind should not have any affect on SWR.

Alabama Buckeye
03-12-2022, 04:15 PM
I swear I read it here, or misread it. Which raised my question, really?

JesseJamesDallas
03-13-2022, 05:50 PM
"surroundings" can affect SWR readings...

What you may have read probably had to do with people who check SWR while driving around town...

Wind bending the antenna over while driving some think causes a SWR meters needle to jump all over the place, when actually whats happening is your constantly driving past things that cause a SWR meters needle to dance all over the place...

Antenna's like the 102" whip that flops all over the place when moving down the highway would cause a SWR meter needle to jump all over the place if you were checking SWR while driving, because the whip would be moving closer to metal parts of the car (or truck) then back up...Wind itself has no electrical value that would mess with SWR.

Alabama Buckeye
03-13-2022, 08:42 PM
There's got to be a law against that. Like Texting while driving:ballchain:In some States is illegal to drive and drink your McSlurrpy, like Alabama. And "Blue" laws are still on the books. "In Texas, for example, blue laws prohibited selling housewares such as pots, pans, and washing machines on Sunday until 1985."

Thanks for the feedback.