PDA

View Full Version : Uniden BEARCAT 980

LowtechJD
12-31-2022, 08:45 PM
My rig:

Radio:
Uniden BEARCAT 980 40- Channel SSB CB Radio with Sideband NOAA WeatherBand

Power supply:
Pyramid PS9KX Universal Compact Bench Power Supply-5 Amp Linear Regulated Home Lab Benchtop Converter w/ 13.8 Volt DC 115V AC 70 Watt Input, Screw Type Terminal

Antenna:

Nagoya CB-72 28" CB Antenna (26-28 MHz), Center Coil-Loaded Heavy Duty Spring with Magnetic Mount, Includes 18' of RG-58A/U Cable with a PL-259 Connector

I am using this radio as a base station.
The problem… I’m getting a strong signal as soon as I turn on the radio. Even with the squelch turned all the way up, I still hear a clicking noise. This signal is constant, on all channels 1-40, including upper and lower sideband. The only thing that comes in clear is the NOAA weather station, but I know that’s in a different frequency range.

Also, according to the built in swr meter (I’ve read its unreliable) my swr’s are running from 6 to 8+. I’m out of ideas guys and I don’t know what to try next. Thank you for any help.

LowtechJD
01-01-2023, 06:52 PM
So, I turned on my radio with the antenna unplugged and all was quiet. I'm returning that antenna and am now looking for recommendations on antennas. Thanks guys.

mjd420nova
01-20-2023, 04:55 PM
Be careful with your grounding. Station ground should be common, even to the negative supply of your DC source and all gear in line with the coax.

Fistfulladirt
02-06-2023, 09:41 PM
I’d go with a vertical dipole antenna meant for base stations. Get it up outside as high as you can.