PDA

View Full Version : The best base antenna in my opinion !!!!!

707 Lumpy Delaware
04-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Over the years I have seen many base antennas. When I first started talking on the radio, like maybe 30 years ago, possibly 35 ( I know Jimmy Carter was just elected President). But anyway, I always liked the Sigma 5/8 wave groundplane, because that's what my father had hooked up to his station, I was amazed when he talked to my Uncle who lives in Australia on 26915, back then he ran a 10 tube D&A Phantom. When I got older and more into the hobby the Sigma had started seeing major rusting and the top aerial had bent after hurricane season which was bad, so I had to find my own antenna of choice and wanted another Sigma, but was struck down when I found out Sigma went out of business and was told the closest thing I could get would be an Alpha 5/8 antenna so I ran that with the same old D&A 10 tuber. After reading all that I guess you can see I always loved the Sigma 5/8 wave. 73's :o

hotrod
03-02-2013, 12:40 PM
sigma 5/8 was a great antenna . a penatrator 500 i think is very close to it ,if not the same if that helps

SPRINTERLIGHT
01-16-2015, 10:54 PM
Hey there Lumpy,

You might be able to help me. Guy down the road selling a 5/8 omni antenna. $50.00 It looks to be about 20 ft. tall
with 4-5 ft. radials. On the top there are three diamond squarish looking wire shapes. All he can tell me is it is 35 years old. I would like to try and find specs on this unit. Any help appreciated. I screwed up and also posted in
Commercial mobile antennas
Thanks

JesseJamesDallas
01-18-2015, 12:11 AM
Over the years I have seen many base antennas. When I first started talking on the radio, like maybe 30 years ago, possibly 35 ( I know Jimmy Carter was just elected President). But anyway, I always liked the Sigma 5/8 wave groundplane, because that's what my father had hooked up to his station, I was amazed when he talked to my Uncle who lives in Australia on 26915, back then he ran a 10 tube D&A Phantom. When I got older and more into the hobby the Sigma had started seeing major rusting and the top aerial had bent after hurricane season which was bad, so I had to find my own antenna of choice and wanted another Sigma, but was struck down when I found out Sigma went out of business and was told the closest thing I could get would be an Alpha 5/8 antenna so I ran that with the same old D&A 10 tuber. After reading all that I guess you can see I always loved the Sigma 5/8 wave. 73's :o
If all you have used in the past 30-35 years are 5/8 ground plane antenna's...You would shit a brick if you ever used a Quad beam antenna! Like night and day from ground planes...

ARCHBISHOP
10-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Lighting Antennas 6 Element Quad. Best QUAD on the market, Many a day I would shut the power plant down and shoot skip barefooted.