PDA

View Full Version : Two Hot or Bounceback? What would you do and why?

noisemaker
12-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I started this post on another forum a couple years ago and it became the most popular and informative post on the entire board. There were so many opinions from the most knowledgeable people in the hobby. So, I will start it again on CBJUNKIES...
2 hot or bounceback? what would you do and why?

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-05-2011, 01:16 AM
well i love talking on the move all the time so i will say i like dual hotts , i love the gain and strong signal you get with them . its ok if ya facing north south east or west , your gonna kick ass without pulling over and pointing to another station to beam lock with someone . lol

bounce back system can be way to tight , depends on ya antenna's or antenna system , mounts , grounding etc . after about 10 miles in back of someone that has a bouce back system you dont here them that well they go from 30 dbs to about 2 dbs or even less to zero sometimes .

just a choice you really have to make, its all up to the cber operator , lol lol

if you have 2 magnet mounts you can do tests for ya spacing choices from 5 to 7.2 feet spacings before on deciding when you drill ya holes . not every antenna are going to be spaced that wide for a good tuning .
if you are going to go 7 foot 2 inches spacing you will need taller antenna's preferly 55 or a longer stinger antenna . i remember i did a truck with 2 black alcapones and they needed to be another 4 inches higher to make them a 1.0 . so ya got to ask the old school cb operators what they prefer and make ya choice of antenna 's and have fun putting the maul down . in the end its all fun bullshit anyway . alot of hard work and trial and error , dammit , lol lol

:mah (chilling):

noisemaker
12-05-2011, 08:56 AM
Now I wouldnt mind going 2 hot, but for some odd reason, My back door on the bounceback is "opened". I am talking out the front and according to the FS Meter, im seeing just about 4db foward, but if im headed down 46 west in fairfield (for example- i know you out of stater's dont have a clue where this is), i can hear the ch11 crew in Newark as plain as day, but they aint gonna hear me. I didnt use any caps or anything other than grounding braid on the rear stick. I did however mount a stick on the rear with 3/4" wrap, and a 1/2" wrap on the front (spaced at 86) - that is the only difference. I am also super wide-banded. 1.0 @ 26.9xx up to 27.6xx and 1.1 up to 28.700.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-05-2011, 12:12 PM
nice Noismaker that is widebanded !!! that is awsome . its nice to talk on other channels beside channel 6 and 11 . you dont have to worry about ya swr's going higher on one side of the band with your tuning , thats a perfect tune noisemaker. :)

noisemaker
12-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah- i dont think i can get it any better but certainly wasnt expecting that. i still like the idea of 2 hot, but not the fact i have to pull the headliner again to do it! hahaha

D-MAX 2112
12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Im going to go with Dual hots on the "dinosaur burban project"... for myself i think i might get a little frustrated with the high degree of directitvity. I will be happier with the duals.
Ive been talking skip on 28 from my flim flam honda and Nasty boy.. tells the person im talking to ..to say hello to me.. i couldnt here him and we were maybe 25-30mi away..im betting it was his directivity choppin my lips off without hearing him.
Im new to this so i cant share the experiance of noizy and HV. But im learning fast!!

Take care

Keith-D-MAX 2112 NJ

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Im going to go with Dual hots on the "dinosaur burban project"... for myself i think i might get a little frustrated with the high degree of directitvity. I will be happier with the duals.
Ive been talking skip on 28 from my flim flam honda and Nasty boy.. tells the person im talking to ..to say hello to me.. i couldnt here him and we were maybe 25-30mi away..im betting it was his directivity choppin my lips off without hearing him.
Im new to this so i cant share the experiance of noizy and HV. But im learning fast!!

Take care

Keith-D-MAX 2112 NJ

fooooooooooooooo 10 roger and check !!!!!!!:)

coolbreeze
12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
I find the comments of super tight patterns with a bounce back.. my truck as max fwd gain still tx in all directions.
if its that tight, its tuned wrong.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
I find the comments of super tight patterns with a bounce back.. my truck as max fwd gain still tx in all directions.
if its that tight, its tuned wrong.

with a bounce back system you will have a diamond shape array radiation in front of ya . it is very tight.

dual hott . figure 8 radiation pattern but very wide , niceeeeeee daddy i like that !!! :)

time to get the phazer out !!!!! lets try this again . :zomg:

coolbreeze
12-06-2011, 07:14 AM
I dont know what you had for a pattern, thats not what all of us are getting.

noisemaker
12-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Hey breeze- whats up with my results? My back door receive inst closed off but my transmit is 4db forward. Im not complaining, but like i mentioned above- I wasnt expecting the results I got. We set sidewinders burb up same way. His back door is closed off completely. Only difference between mine and his is his truck is newer, im using 1/2" andrews and he has 217, Im running gunny's and has FatGirls.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
hey noisemaker it depends how far back your rear mount is to the end of the roof. the radiation will fall off about 10-20 miles off the back of the truck . holding a field strength meter is just an average way of seeing where your signal is the strongest .

doughboy
12-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Thats interesting my truck is a 97 with fatgirl antennas also 217 coax back door is real tight i turn around i can knock a 9 to 10 db reading down to a 1 1/2 to 2 also my antenna is just in front of the brake light way back

noisemaker
12-06-2011, 08:45 PM
my rear is 14" in off the barn doors and my front stick is almost over the drivers seat.

coolbreeze
12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Thats interesting my truck is a 97 with fatgirl antennas also 217 coax back door is real tight i turn around i can knock a 9 to 10 db reading down to a 1 1/2 to 2 also my antenna is just in front of the brake light way back
thats more then I see. I get about 5 s unit difference, but thats at only 10 miles. Obviously more is coming out the front, but i can still talk out the back, as can you. The ones who turn around or turn around or 45* and flat out vanish are the real overly tight ones which is due to tunning issues.

coolbreeze
12-06-2011, 09:28 PM
one reason alot like 2 hots is due to the bubble pattern created from it. the 6ft spacing with coax from the rear to hot puck to creat the phasing. this is not optimal gain, but they think its working

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-06-2011, 09:38 PM
its got nothing to do about what you think is not working !!!!! i no it works because ive had it and most of my friends have the dual hott hook up bro . i dont bother with 6 foot spacings . we go wide or go home !!! lol lol

plus i run 1/2 hardline . we run 2 pieces of 8 feet heliax 90 degress out of phase from each antenna. it works very good for me and everyone else ! bubble pattern or mushroom radiation might be , but it works like a figure 8 radiation and you can acheive 4.5 dbs real forward gain. and your angle of radiation will still be lower with a dual hott than a bounce back .

coolbreeze
12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
anyone who has half a brain knows that 135* phasing is where max gain is.

keep talking. And I KNOW not NO. dont talk ignorant please. and my friends have it comment is about the most 3rd grade thing I have heard or seen you say. good grienf band camper.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-06-2011, 09:55 PM
breeze i no about 135 degrees to , but there a downfall for running like that !!!!!!! your signal will have to be locked down on the station real tight and pointed right on them . and those high degrees are better for keydowns for higher gain. makes you very narrow banded which is very awsome . now relax and stop being a bitch with me already , i no more that you can imagine . :innocent:

coolbreeze
12-06-2011, 10:11 PM
one who has to make a point to tell someone they know something, is nothing but a fool begging for respect.

and no 2 anntenna system is that tight.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-06-2011, 10:32 PM
it sure is breeze ask people who run bounce backs . most all of them are tight .

D-MAX 2112
12-08-2011, 11:21 AM
So hopefully.. "im not going home"!

doughboy
01-09-2012, 08:29 AM
My bounceback is tight and i love it!!! unless im driving :(

D-MAX 2112
01-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Tight is good!!.... Especially when im drivin her
"b-double-o-t-y!

High Voltage Mobile NJ
01-09-2012, 08:05 PM
double penetration baby !!!!!!!

noisemaker
01-10-2012, 09:08 AM
it sure is breeze ask people who run bounce backs . most all of them are tight .

Mines loose.. (heh heh). i can hear just fine out my ass end. maybe 1db loss.