PDA

View Full Version : Matched Pills?

Gordon Gekko
04-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Let's discuss the value of matching pills. Does it really matter? Some say it does, others say it does not. Floor open...

doughboy
04-30-2012, 07:24 AM
i have not seen it make enough difference to matter considering when you have to double your power to gain an s unit even if it did give another 100 watts by matching all transistors in the box does it really matter?
weak and new mixed i have seen problems

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
did you guys even read what i posted or am i ghosttalking !!!!!!!!! it matters if they are the same batch yes . in time if u have a transistor of different resistance it will bring the other transistor to fry . they will fight each other like using a good battery with an ok battery in a paralel configuration . the one stronger with more resistance will always win .

and rule of thumb Getto gorden or what ever your name is , we dont no you . so why dont you tell us whats your real cb handle and tell us your one of the bandcampers of RDX. your a bandcamper right ????? and your leader is 241 . lol
you got some dam nerve asking for information here and then trying to fit in here.
pack ya bags mudduck . :attention::300 (264):

Gordon Gekko
04-30-2012, 04:21 PM
So, are you saying that if someone has a 32 pill and blows 6 pills for whatever reason, then all 32 pills need to be replaced?

Furthermore I am not asking for information at all. I actually find it hard for me to care less than I already do. However John Doe raised some good points unfortunately he raised them in the wrong venue. Doughboy removed his comments, but since it would make for a good radio-related discussion, I started this thread. That's all.

Quit getting all defensive, this is not some RDX conspiracy to get you and I am not some under cover RDX agent conducting surveillance on you LOL. Relax.

Thank you for interjecting your thoughts regarding transistors of mixed batches.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-30-2012, 04:35 PM
like i stated up there before, who are you , whats your cb handle . i no everyone out in new york friends and foooos , and i no where everybody shits to . stop being an information whore out here on this site its bad for our forum . just tell me you were u one of them ducks that tryed to hook up a 32 pill and atemp to key on 300 foot of steel using a row boat . lol lol no you do not have to replace all 32 pills . first you have to be technical to understand how they are used in a circuit . either in 2 pill , 4 pill or 8 pill configuration combined . live learn it and love it .
we are still waiting for you to tell us who you really are . lol

its ok the ip address tell me everything i need to no . :proud:

doughboy
04-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Well with the 32 pill it depends if some that are still working in the pairs are really weak and you pair those with new it could cause combiner resistors to cook if it were me i would take the remaining good pills in those sets and pair them then pair the new six with each other

doughboy
04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
High volatage your talking about what you said before but that was a different thread that since been deleted and this is a new one he started because i had to delete the old one because it was spinning off in the forsale forum no ones getting hostile just relax brother lol bump bump

noisemaker
04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Best of my knowledge youre supposed to change the pair with a "matched set" - not matching to the rest of the banks. I only have a few boxes that are truely matching. I have one amp that does have 1 match in it and its fine and actually screams.

doughboy
04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
yes your supposed to change the pair with matching either old or new not mix old and new in a pair but they dont have to be from the same production lot or purchased as a matched set although you do see some performance gain when you use electrically matched sets

Gordon Gekko
04-30-2012, 05:50 PM
High Voltage, I will come say hello to you this weekend. Only if you promise NOT to do any cartwheels. LOL!

My little 5 pill does not have matched pills and it does just what it's supposed to do according to the Bird.

I would agree that having all matched pills looks nicer and probably serves a purpose for stability but for example if you bought 4 brand new pills from different vendors (different lot numbers) I don't see how that would negatively affect performance.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-30-2012, 07:09 PM
High Voltage, I will come say hello to you this weekend. Only if you promise NOT to do any cartwheels. LOL!

My little 5 pill does not have matched pills and it does just what it's supposed to do according to the Bird.

I would agree that having all matched pills looks nicer and probably serves a purpose for stability but for example if you bought 4 brand new pills from different vendors (different lot numbers) I don't see how that would negatively affect performance.

why . i can do perfect cartwheels !!!! lol lol lol but not that good in the sand , i almost sprained my wrist , lol lol lol
i:stung:

Gordon Gekko
04-30-2012, 07:12 PM
LoL. Ill say hi on Saturday.

coolbreeze
04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Bottom line. matched transistors, or matched tubes are a JOKE!!!! that some moron made up to make himself sound smart

doughboy
05-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Matched tubes make a large difference especially in sets of 2 in a circuit that requires netreulazation suchs as a yaesu ft 101 or the like

coolbreeze
05-01-2012, 07:55 AM
do you really believe that?
there is no way to match pills or tubes. same manufacturing batch is the closest thing.

now if one tube is 80% and the other is new or like new, that would be a problem, but its from dead equipment, not unmatched tubes.

doughboy
05-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Are you familiar with the neutralaztion process in an ft-101 have you ever done it?

doughboy
05-01-2012, 09:25 AM
When tubes are built, there is some value of capacitance between the elements.
When the tube is energized, this capacitance can cause feedback by inducing
Voltage onto the grid. This will cause the tube to oscillate in it's steady
state. This effect is identical with single tube circuits and multiple tube
circuits.

What the neutralization circuit does is to tap off of the oscillating output
signal, invert it and feed a variable amount of it back to the grid or input
circuit, which can neutralizes the oscillation by the two opposing (and if
you adjusted it right, identical) sine waves canceling each other on the
grid, thus negating the capacitive feedback signal. In this state, the steady
state oscillation tendency by interelectrode capacitance is neutral and the
circuit is know to be neutralized.

The tubes do not need to be matched but the closer the internal capacitance is to each other the easier they become to neutralize sometimes if they are 2 different brands it is impossible to neutralize them with out adding caps and other horseshit do they perform better matched well that is usually such a small difference it doesn't even matter

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-01-2012, 09:03 PM
your right doughboy . as a technician i stand for that all the way. you can even solve that as a math equation to . it makes a world of difference. it also has to deal with impedance and internal resistance of the tube or transistor the way it is manufactured . some transistors like motorola use a beta gain factor , and special care has to be made when designing a multiple circuit . balance 100 ohm resistors can only help the transistor so much , but if they are not matched correctly , in time they will not last . :300 (216):

coolbreeze
05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
doughboy your last paragraph is good. and much closer to whats needed then a matched set.

now hv you do realise that you do not need any 100 ohm resistors in a pill box. they are tattle tails for diagnostic, they balance nothing. if they attempt to balance they burn to a crisp.
only the 10 ohm resistors are needed.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
lol you crazy breeze . the only thing the 10 ohm resister is used for is to let you no when a pill is toastedddddddddd . i thought you new that broooooo:300 (128):

coolbreeze
05-02-2012, 06:32 AM
If that is so. Go remove yours and key up. Better have pills ready

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-02-2012, 06:39 AM
hahahahhhahah fooooooooooo 10 rogerrrrrr.:300 (204):

noisemaker
05-02-2012, 08:41 AM
lol you crazy breeze . the only thing the 10 ohm resister is used for is to let you no when a pill is toastedddddddddd . i thought you new that broooooo:300 (128):

Not all the time! I had a few flaky pills that did not blow that infamous 10ohm smoke, but were drawing amperage (15a to be exact) in stand-by. Bottom line- bad pills but no smoke. You dont really need the 100ohm'ers on the combiners either, but as breeze has stated they are there for diagnostics. Those will tell the tale of an imbalance. I have a 1x4 that doesnt have 1 match in the entire box- all mismatched, old style, red dots, all different and that box is rockin! As matter of fact the entire box is made of used parts! Im sure it would run more efficient with matched, but its working good and im broke so its staying the way it is!!! Lol

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-02-2012, 04:22 PM
yeahhhhhhhh if ya hook up power backwards to. or the dam pills are not all the way down properly seated to the heat sink . cocaine charly boxes are very typical for that shit . he uses wood screws to hold them down . or if someone drove past you keying up next to going 111111111111 poof . lol lol lol :violin:

coolbreeze
05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
shakes head

10 ohms only blow if you are keyed when the pill blows. if its right as you get off they wont blow, and wont burn the resistor after that. weird but it is what happens

john doe
05-03-2012, 09:27 PM
heres my take on this .pills dont have to have the same lot number or be "matched" persay ,but when a pill blows you should replace both pills on that transformer .you dont want to put a new pill next to a weaker old pill.will it work?sure,but for how long is anyone's guess .
its like putting a weak battery and a new battery in a flashlight ,the old weak battery will fail that much faster now .whereas had you replaced both with new they would both last the same amount of time .

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-03-2012, 10:16 PM
yes sir and you are right John Joe . nice job :300 (185):