decisions decisions which are better ?
peak reading
average reading
some say one is better than the other ?
and is one kind of watts different than the other

coolbreeze
06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
wow, a multi answer question.
bird typically reads average watts. with a peak kit it will do just that.
now a dosey , well most of them read peak, the ones that read average are usually higher then the bird
in a recent test i found my davemade digital bird to tead roughtly the same peak as the dosey.

Mr.5150cbrn
06-01-2012, 10:26 PM
so a bird meter is made to read avg wattage (rms)
and installing a kit to make it read peak wattage .

it will boost your ego !
like fucking a fatty
similar to riding a MOPED - fun to ride , not fun to be seen on !

Gordon Gekko
06-02-2012, 05:44 AM
so a bird meter is made to read avg wattage (rms)
and installing a kit to make it read peak wattage .

Absolutely. Bird 43 is for RMS and getting, installing and CALIBRATING the pep kit will give you Peak readings. The Bird 43 has no calibration required however when the pep board is installed in the case it will throw off the RMS readings unless you have the meter calibrated. Here's a link: http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/henryradio/the-109/New-Bird-4300-dsh-400-Peak/Detail

Mr.5150cbrn
06-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Absolutely. Bird 43 is for RMS and getting, installing and CALIBRATING the pep kit will give you Peak readings. The Bird 43 has no calibration required however when the pep board is installed in the case it will throw off the RMS readings unless you have the meter calibrated. Here's a link: http://store03.prostores.com/servlet/henryradio/the-109/New-Bird-4300-dsh-400-Peak/Detail

so what your saying is............
spend BIG $$$$$$$ on a Bird 43 , spend more $$$$ on a kit to convert it ?
spend some more $$$$ having it calibrated
then you have big $$$$$$$
in a bird , that coincidentally doesnt read any better than a dosey
and your "ego" is inflated to the size of a water buffalo ?
when you can have a dosey and a Fist full of dollars and still claim as a poser!

whew , an i thought i was goofy lmfao

BOOTY MONSTER
06-02-2012, 12:21 PM
doesy/astatic makes many folks happy . some folks feel the bird is the be all and end all .
a couple of other meters that look interesting ...

http://www.autekresearch.com/wm1.htm

and

(http://www.autekresearch.com/wm1.htm)http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/powermaster.htm#top%20of%20page
(http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/powermaster.htm#top%20of%20page)

Mr.5150cbrn
06-02-2012, 12:41 PM
thats nice information booty, how ever this is about bird watts verses dosey watts
like the title says!
so lets try to keep this on topic

Gordon Gekko
06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
so what your saying is............
spend BIG $$$$$$$ on a Bird 43 , spend more $$$$ on a kit to convert it ?
spend some more $$$$ having it calibrated
then you have big $$$$$$$
in a bird , that coincidentally doesnt read any better than a dosey
and your "ego" is inflated to the size of a water buffalo ?
when you can have a dosey and a Fist full of dollars and still claim as a poser!

whew , an i thought i was goofy lmfao

Well I'm glad you straightened my silly ass out! Thanks! I thought using a Bird was correct because HiDef uses multiple Birds in the Empire State Building, broadcasting for a major national Television Network. I'll let him know that he's stupid too for using Bird equipment. Once he hears that, I'm sure his Network will run out and buy all Dosey meters to monitor their multi-million dollar equipment. Thanks again Brother!

BOOTY MONSTER
06-02-2012, 03:02 PM
thats nice information booty, how ever this is about bird watts verses dosey watts
like the title says!
so lets try to keep this on topic

thank you for correcting me . i know how important on topic replies can be to some folks so i will attempt to reply in kind .

how ever ..... since there is no such thing as a bird watt or a dosey watt i'm not sure that anyone should be replying if your request is to be honored . but i'm thinking you're referring to general associations with regard to their accuracy . the accuracy to dollar ratio of those numbers are often debated though and can make for good entertainment . typically the budget is the deciding factor and then the buyer decides if it is good enough for their use .
but sometimes .........

nobody dies and most recommend their purchase as the one to get .

Mr.5150cbrn
06-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Well I'm glad you straightened my silly ass out! Thanks! I thought using a Bird was correct because HiDef uses multiple Birds in the Empire State Building, broadcasting for a major national Television Network. I'll let him know that he's stupid too for using Bird equipment. Once he hears that, I'm sure his Network will run out and buy all Dosey meters to monitor their multi-million dollar equipment. Thanks again Brother!oh ! ok thats different because hidef uses it it must be right !
birds are industry standard endorsed by the us navy , regardless of what hidef uses.
there are more accurate methods of calculating peak envelope power
bird meters do have a +/-5% tolerance factor built into them ,
thus making them as accurate as humanly possible , but not perfect .

besides its only a claim

as i only asked a mere question about the difference and this wasnt intended to cause you to flame your self
gordon so ...... carry on !

Gordon Gekko
06-03-2012, 07:59 AM
I dont believe i flamed anything, but thanks for the concern. You were busy making yourself look foolish by claiming Bird meters are not so great and they are just as good as Dosey meters. Just wanted to help a brotha out you know.

Glad we can put this thing to bed now. Have a blessed day!

Mr.5150cbrn
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I dont believe i flamed anything, but thanks for the concern. You were busy making yourself look foolish by claiming Bird meters are not so great and they are just as good as Dosey meters. Just wanted to help a brotha out you know.

Glad we can put this thing to bed now. Have a blessed day!
no.... on the contrary. i was only stating that a BIRD 43 is designed to read RMS values , with accuracy.
modifying it to read peak wattage
makes no more reliable than a dosey!

if your gonna spend $$$$ for a meter cool
if your using a high $$$$ meter to read pep thats been modded to do so -
and a lesser $ meter would give similar results
wouldnt it be the wiser to use the bird for the way it was intended and use the dosy for the happy feeling ?

Gordon Gekko
06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
no.... on the contrary. i was only stating that a BIRD 43 is designed to read RMS values , with accuracy.
modifying it to read peak wattage
makes no more reliable than a dosey!

if your gonna spend $$$$ for a meter cool
if your using a high $$$$ meter to read pep thats been modded to do so -
and a lesser $ meter would give similar results
wouldnt it be the wiser to use the bird for the way it was intended and use the dosy for the happy feeling ?

I agree with you about the Bird being intended for RMS values. However I do not think it's perfectly fair to say that the 43 with a calibrated PEP kit is grossly inaccurate. I get the point that you are saying 'why spend $175 for a pep kit when it's roughly as accurate as a Dosey'.

First off, if you want to measue Big Power PEP, will a Dosey take the heat of a 3CX 10,000? Just ask Terry about that LOL. The Bird can of course with the appropriate slug.

Now if you use the Bird 43 for RMS and you want to also measure peak, you'll have to spend another $100 on a Dosey. Now you need to have 2 meters sitting on the bench. It's easier to have one unit and just flip a switch.

Well at least we found some common ground on the issue.

Now let's talk antennas hahahaha

BOOTY MONSTER
06-03-2012, 11:21 AM
the military . goverment , RF industry may use bird meters , but they don't over drive their equipment to 3 and 4 times what it's able to cleanly produce , putting tons of harmonics in the signal expecting their meter to still read accurately .
so why pay big bucks for a meter just to feed it signals that won't let it do it's job properly ?

http://www.hamradiomarket.com/articles/Wattmeters.htm

Mr.5150cbrn
06-03-2012, 11:59 AM
hmmmmm , i'll stick with what i've got and call it a day
no birds here , unless they have feathers
the dosy gives me an idea , of whats going on - forward signal.
the scope clues me in to what modulation peaks are, and relation to dk
and once again - forward signal
though some day yes a bird - just for rms

Gordon Gekko
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
so why pay big bucks for a meter just to feed it signals that won't let it do it's job properly ?

Because egay weens loooooove so see big gay watts. AND...they pay top dollar as well to see them

Mr.5150cbrn
06-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Because egay weens loooooove so see big gay watts. AND...they pay top dollar as well to see them

yes that is very true

Gordon Gekko
06-03-2012, 04:41 PM
yes that is very true

The ebay trifecta: led's, echo, talkback. They go wild for that stuff

doughboy
06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
echo talkback leds and get that big radio trucker sound lol