PDA

View Full Version : For the Hammy's - a cool 6m Mobile antenna

noisemaker
12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
As a hambone, I like shooting skip on 6m. Im on a mission to make the worlds first WIDEBANDED affordable mobile 6m antenna. Yeah a 54" whip works great, hamsticks are ok but nothing on the market is wide banded and handles any power.

anyway- here's a pic of it so far- its not complete and i have some tweaking to do, but im in the ballpark!62

Sweetpea
01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
How is your mission coming along so far, noisemaker? It's a noble mission and the pic looks good. Keep going and you'll get it! I applaud your efforts! :o

BOOTY MONSTER
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
how do you plan to give it more usable bandwidth ? adding a tophat or simply making a good percentage of it a larger diameter ? what's in the pic looks very similar to a 10k with a 6 inch shaft minus a wrap or 2 on the coil . you might have better luck using a NMO mount and duplicating the matching system in a imax with the vertical shortened for the correct 1/2 or 5/8 wavelength for your frequency .

keep us posted on your results . and that's some nice clean work on what you have :)

noisemaker
01-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks booty! Its a work in progress. I did make some different top and lower shafts to play around with things. I want to keep it 3/8 mount but i hear ya on the matching system. Problem with those is there is too much loss, but they do work well. Its all math. 6m ham sticks work great as 1/4 waves but are norrow as hell. Ill figure it out! Lol. Ill have to post pics of the newer pieces i made for it (shafts)

BOOTY MONSTER
01-18-2012, 03:26 PM
ive read many times that antennas are give and take . we try to get a little more in one area and we get a little less in another . in the spring i want to play with a simple open circuit 1/4 wgp vs one with a gamma (which is still OC) . i've often read proper matching systems have no humanly detectable loss , and i know from experience a bad implementation of one can be made :) .

noisemaker
01-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Oh well. 6m antenna got put on hold agAin. Working with a friend that used to work for first rf, on some hf mobiles.

Moonchild 747
05-20-2013, 10:02 PM
As it goes with most builds over here... For every one I start I have a closet full of almost changed history magic antennas that didn't live up to their expectation, haha...1/4 wave whips I've never messed up though too easy to measure and cut then mount...I am interested in your progress and testing of the final project though...looks nice.