PDA

View Full Version : DIY Power Supplies- Transformers! Save $$

noisemaker
12-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Tip- If you have access to old UPS Battery Backup Systems (APC, TripLite) that your company or anyone is tossing to the trash- GRAB EM! Usually the larger units have 1 or 2 BIG transformers in there - 35a/70a/100a - THE SAME ONES FATBOY SELLS and he's pretty much getting them from the same source. I was fortunate to nab 4x 70a transformers from the trash pile. Use them to build an unregulated supply for your amplifier -which will float at 18-20v and hold 14.5 volts under load. All the amp builders use these in their base amps and power supplies (with exception of the Big Peter D transformers).
Another good source for these things are larger power Inverters (usually rated for 1500 watts and above).

Here's a diagram on what all the different wires do. 99% of the transformers that were pulled from inverters/battery backup units will have the same color codes..

doughboy
01-09-2012, 08:56 AM
nice tip i will be looking around for some old ups systems next time i go to the dump

High Voltage Mobile NJ
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Now thats some awsome knowledge right there . thank you .

Sweetpea
01-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Very handy information that I never realized or even thought about before. I think it's time to take a trip to the trash heap this weekend!

john doe
01-17-2012, 02:41 PM
even blown up its still too small to read .

Mistah Gravy
04-08-2012, 05:52 PM
i've got a question-i do have access to UPS systems from time to time.does anyone know of a source that would be willing to purchase the transformer or are they useless to a builder?i ask because i tend to sell them off for almost nothing because the batteries are junk so the people that i deal with don't pay much for them since they will have to replace the batteries.
it would be nice to make a few more bucks at the end of the month.i am not greedy,just curious if i could get a little more for these things.i'd be willing of course,to pull them out and ship them only what they need,if anyone knows.thanks-Gravy626

Birdy
05-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Mistah Gravy what do you have and how much each? I have built many supplies with the pulled transformers and have had great luck with them. They are cheaper than buying NEW units. If you stack them to be a little more than you need they are awesome. I built a 5 pill base box with 2 of the 70a units and never drop below 16.5v with the amp giving all it has.

Birdy
05-12-2012, 08:50 PM
even blown up its still too small to read .

If you go to http://www.icamanufacturing.com/store/Default.aspx and under the transformers you can find a bigger pic.

alonzomerrill
05-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Tip- If you have access to old UPS Battery Backup Systems (APC, TripLite) that your company or anyone is tossing to the trash- GRAB EM! Usually the larger units have 1 or 2 BIG transformers in there - 35a/70a/100a - THE SAME ONES FATBOY SELLS and he's pretty much getting them from the same source. I was fortunate to nab 4x 70a transformers from the trash pile. Use them to build an unregulated supply for your amplifier -which will float at 18-20v and hold 14.5 volts under load. All the amp builders use these in their base amps and power supplies (with exception of the Big Peter D transformers).
Another good source for these things are larger power Inverters (usually rated for 1500 watts and above).

Here's a diagram on what all the different wires do. 99% of the transformers that were pulled from inverters/battery backup units will have the same color codes..

This power supply information is a very helpful for us and i want to read more about it. I have seen that most of builders using it and it is good for them. I am exited to know that how many ways i can use it and how much watts capacity of inverter.

Mistah Gravy
06-27-2012, 11:15 PM
picked up a UPS system at our local transfer station this afternoon.we have one of those "leave something,or take something" tables and i often leave and also take from this table.today was a day to take from the table because there was a fully functioning UPS system on the table.it works so i am not sure what i will do with it but i am pretty sure i need to make a power supply for some equipment i have so i'll be checking out this DIY set of directions tomorrow!!!!

markus82
12-01-2015, 05:05 AM
thank you noisemaker (http://www.cbjunkies.com/members/11-noisemaker) for the very useful information..

iv been having a lot of problems with my home brew power supply, welding transformers aren't that good they drop to much voltage and get hot very fast....

ill be swapping out that out welding transformer once iv sourced a old ups system