PDA

View Full Version : Do I need one of these?

Mistah Gravy
06-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Hello guys,sorry I haven't been around much lately.Last week I was sick with double pneumonia.I had to be rushed out of my home in an ambulance and then brought down to Boston to Mass General for a week.but all is well now.that is just how things go.i have somewhat shitty health at times and the meds i take sometimes cause other issues.i am very much used to it.

anyways,about a month or two i bought a lot from eBay that included two semi-working police scanners and one non-working.along with three or four SWR meters.one which i will keep for myself and the others i am going to list and re-sell on eBay.

in this lot was a Midland "Antenna Matcher".i am slowly setting up a base station at home.i have the antenna up in the tree but i have to have someone come out and maybe put it up higher in this particular tree,or up higher in a taller tree.then i have the lightning supression to do and then send my 2000GTL out for tuning.then i still have to buy coax.so yeah,it's slow going.

do i need an antenna matcher?or should i sell it.also,what do i do with it if i should keep it?where does it hook up in line with a radio/swr meter/antenna/amp(small amp under 200watts peak).

thanks for any help/info.

Mistah Gravy
06-27-2012, 10:58 AM
and also,i have been thinking that i need to save up for LMR 400 coax.i have been thinking-where i don't plan on running more than a couple hundred watts for the forseeable future,should i just go with a good coax and not hold out for the LMR 400.the reason i ask is because the LMR 400 is twice what i could afford right now.if i went with a good coax,i could be up and running within a week.if i hold out for the LMR 400 i don't know when i'll be able to be up and running and i am tired of waiting and don't believe i truly need that kind of coax just yet.i think a good rg-58? would do the trick for now.it's not like i am running more than 200watts right now so how much signal is there for me to lose?

Birdy
06-27-2012, 01:01 PM
How many feet of coax are you looking for?

Mr.5150cbrn
06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
no more than a few hundred watts rg-8 will do fine
for abit more get rg-213 good for a kw or better
always remember the key to getting out lies in your antenna system

Mistah Gravy
06-27-2012, 11:09 PM
How many feet of coax are you looking for?

at least 100 if i go with the tree that the antenna is in now.that tree only gets my antenna up about 35ft to 45ft off the ground though.i may need as much as 135ft. of coax which is probably close to what i need rather than 100ft.

if i can afford to have the antenna guy come out and climb the antenna up a tree,then i would prefer to put it in a tree closer to my room which would get my up at least 65 to 85 maybe even more,ft. up off of the ground.in that case then 100ft would be all i would need at the most unless he got me to the top of the tree but i don't see that happening.

i'd love to eventually go with a tower but because my sister and i both own the house,she wouldnt go for a tower in the yard.she's fine with it being in a tree but no towers.

Mistah Gravy
06-27-2012, 11:10 PM
oh yeah,do i need this antenna matcher thing or can i go ahead and list it and sell it on eBay with other items i sell?

Birdy
07-01-2012, 08:27 AM
I looked and i only have a couple 60ft pieces andrews 240 laying around.

john doe
07-01-2012, 12:53 PM
a antenna matcher only fools your radio into "seeing" a better match .the mismatch would still be there .i say sell it .

unless you want to go out of cb band alot you really wont need it .

Mistah Gravy
07-01-2012, 04:51 PM
nah,i do have extra upper and lower channels but have no plans on utilizing them much at all since the normal 40 plus ssb are not much used in my area since not that many people are on the CB much anymore.i do want to hit skip during the day but won't venture outside of the normal 40 plus the ssb.

so it sounds like it's somewhat of a waste to have and use the antenna matcher so up for sale it is.ought to bring me an extra ten or so buckaroos.thanks for the info JD!

Mr.5150cbrn
07-01-2012, 06:52 PM
the only real need of a antenna matcher
would be if your antenna was real narrow banded , or if you were using a long wire /loop antenna
also would be good for using in a situation where earth grounding use is too far like 2nd story or above buildings etc
or as JD stated out of band use

High Voltage Mobile NJ
07-02-2012, 10:31 PM
a antenna matcher only fools your radio into "seeing" a better match .the mismatch would still be there .i say sell it .

unless you want to go out of cb band alot you really wont need it .

how does it fool the radio ?????? when it actually tunes the feedline of ya circuit . theres a tank circuit in there john . theres no fooling going on there , its a tuner matching network.

Beercanman
08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
how does it fool the radio ?????? when it actually tunes the feedline of ya circuit . theres a tank circuit in there john . theres no fooling going on there , its a tuner matching network.

I thought you were here to help people. Now it's your turn to learn.
An antenna tuner doesn't really "Tune" your antenna or any part of it!
What and antenna tuner does do is transform the impedance at the antenna feed output at the radio to a value that your transceiver can handle, in this case 50 Ohms.
The tuner has no effect on the SWR between itself and the antenna, it is the SWR between the transmitter and the tuner that is changed with the tuner controls.
In layman"s terms (for High Voltage), all a tuner does is act as a kind of adjustable impedance transformer between the radio and the antenna. It will take whatever impedance the antenna system presents and attempts to convert it back to 50 Ohms for the transceiver.
Your rig "thinks" it's seeing a 50 Ohm antenna on it's output.
If you have high loses and a poor excuse for an antenna, you will have a poor excuse for a good signal no matter how well your tuner "tricks" your radio.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
08-02-2012, 07:35 PM
that is far from being true beercan !!!!!!!! back to the books dude !!!!!!!!!! you have no idea what your talking about , getttttttttttt on out of there mudduck !!!!!!!!! :300 (253):

it tunes your feedline and does not fool anything , its part of the capacitance and inductance line . your better do some more reading and doing more tests son !!!

High Voltage Mobile NJ
08-02-2012, 07:37 PM
your so full of shit beer. you will always have 50 ohms , it changes the swr and the feedline capacitance . you do not no shit to argue with me in here .. go to the world wide web and you might just learn something .

Beercanman
08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
your so full of shit beer. you will always have 50 ohms , it changes the swr and the feedline capacitance . you do not no shit to argue with me in here .. go to the world wide web and you might just learn something .

Statements like this are the reason you will always be a duck. The actual facts are all modern transmitters have an output impedance of 50 Ohms. Antenna systems range in impedance of a few Ohms to several thousand Ohms. There are several ways to match them such as pruning the length of the antenna, matching the antenna with a length of transmission line called matching section, or use one of several matching systems at the antenna feed-point.
Now tell me who knows their shit.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
08-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Match is done by fixed the swr , not the impedance . The impedance should always be close to 50 ohms as long as your swr is under a 2 . Dont you talk anymore you dont no your shit at all .

doughboy
08-03-2012, 04:31 AM
The beercanman is right in how they work It only tunes feedline between radio and antenna tuner to make the radio happy and not over heat it creates losses in the tuner and the radiator still is not effective swr is still the same between antenna and tuner

doughboy
08-03-2012, 06:23 AM
http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications/Downloads/antennas101.pdf

BOOTY MONSTER
08-03-2012, 11:27 AM
http://www.sgcworld.com/Publications/Downloads/antennas101.pdf

you link posting food dumpster ! :300 (245):

doughboy
08-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Lol thats right

Beercanman
08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Match is done by fixed the swr , not the impedance . The impedance should always be close to 50 ohms as long as your swr is under a 2 . Dont you talk anymore you dont no your shit at all .

So you'r going to tell us that an antenna systems impedance doesn't matter? Your telling us that every antenna is 50 Ohm's right out of the box? Note in your statement above you say close to 50 Ohm's. But in post #14 you say You will always have 50 Ohm's. Which is it?

High Voltage Mobile NJ, master of bullshit.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
this is why i cant explain anything to u and some other people in here . now ya twisting my words around.
if your going to get personal but putting down that stuff , i make sure you suffer dearly for doing that shit . why dont you and your boyfriend booty monster pack both of ya bags !! where did i say that every antenna had 50 ohms . im sorry that you are wrong . a tank circuit has to deal with capacitance and inductance , your not fooling anything period . and none of you here have proved that either . read before opening your ass , if not i put a diaper on you . :300 (163):

Beercanman
08-03-2012, 04:43 PM
if your going to get personal but putting down that stuff , i make sure you suffer dearly for doing that shit .

Sorry bro, the rest of us are speaking English, now move along and let the men have a conversation.
Oh, and by the way this is the second time you threatened me so...
You have violated the following forum rules in this thread.
No Bullying - Do not pick on other members. The worst kind of bullying is where new members are picked on. This hurts the member as well as the board.
No Flaming - Flaming harms the nice atmosphere of cb junkies. It also causes thread's to go off topic, and most importantly, it hurts the person being flamed. The victom may defend themselves against any accusations made to them, but may not make any additional accusations to the flamer (which also counts as flaming).
No Profanity or Obscene Content - Such content does not belong on cb junkies. A censor system is in place as a backup. If you see words in your post being replaced with ****, you have done something wrong. Please edit your post and tone it down before your timer runs out. To edit a post, click the "Edit" button right below it. Cheating the censor system is against the rules.
I think you should pack your bags now.

BOOTY MONSTER
08-03-2012, 06:28 PM
i suspect very very few folks use cb antennas with a 50 ohm impedance to their antenna . most probably fall between 45-55 ohms , with some a little further out .

doughboy
08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Yepp most radio stations try to run as close to 32 ohms as possible then use a large transmatch to the equipment

BOOTY MONSTER
08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
this is why i cant explain anything to u and some other people in here . now ya twisting my words around.
if your going to get personal but putting down that stuff , i make sure you suffer dearly for doing that shit . why dont you and your boyfriend booty monster pack both of ya bags !! where did i say that every antenna had 50 ohms . im sorry that you are wrong . a tank circuit has to deal with capacitance and inductance , your not fooling anything period . and none of you here have proved that either . read before opening your ass , if not i put a diaper on you . :300 (163):

BTW , i'm not beers boyfriend , we just happen to be right and you're wrong . flaming and name calling doesn't make you any more right .... i't just shows you wanna argue and that being right has nothing to do with it .

doughboy
08-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Actually to clarify what i said about 32 ohms it was the shortwave stations their antennas were about perfectly resonant at 32 ohms so the idea was run them there where they were very efficient but had high swr then use a transmatch which would normally defeat the purpose by losses in the transmatch but they had hundreds of kilowatts to play with so they didnt care

peterwo2e
06-25-2013, 02:08 AM
a good antenna tuner is a must if you looking to explore and talk between 29.MHz to 24 MHz or better and only have one antenna. is good to have it and not needed than to need and not have it. if its a really good tuner hang on to it.