PDA

View Full Version : Uniden PC 66XL Question(s)

Mistah Gravy
07-30-2012, 11:54 PM
o.k. so i am at the local flea market that i frequent periodically and sometimes find and purchase good items that i can re-sell on eBay.one weekend i spent about a hundred bucks on inventory to sell on eBay and my return was better than double.but,most weekends i don't find much and some weekends i won't find anything.

well about two weekends ago i found a used Uniden PC66 XL that came with two microphones,two external speakers(one small brand new Barjan and one used full sized Realistic),one power cord and i think that's about it.but i ended up paying $20 for it all,which i was surprised because a lot of these dealers at this particular flea market try to get retail prices and they are priced way too high for my liking.everything works well(i've tested it all out).

i am thinking about listing it on eBay for sale and sell everything as one package or maybe i might sell a couple of things separately,not 100% sure but i'll figure it out soon.but i've also thought about keeping it for a while because i have two 148gtl's that need to go in the shop.

so if i keep it for a while,i was wondering if this particular radio is loud and proud as it sits without being worked over.i bought 148gtl's because all that i've heard about them coming out of the box not needing to be worked over because they are great talkers and i've always gotten great reports on the air on both of my 148's and neither have any special work done to them to make them loud(they are 1993 Phillipine made units).

is the PC66 XL a loud talker or should i send it out to get it worked on to bring it up a bit?
also,are there any suggestions on any other work any of you might suggest? i don't like all kinds of crazy bells and whistles,i just want to have a loud and proud radio.as far as power,i'll leave that up to the two little no name amps that i have.they only put out 260 and 270 average watts and eventually i'll buy a real amp or two but for now they do the trick.i'm just wondering if i should do anything to this radio to make it a big talker.thanks,Gravy626-New Hampshah!!

Mistah Gravy
07-30-2012, 11:55 PM
sorry for the long post but you guys know by now that this is just me.i sometimes post long ones and sometimes not so long ones(more long than short though).

High Voltage Mobile NJ
07-31-2012, 12:12 AM
the thing is you gotta have good receive if you wanna talk serious out there in the mobile . im not sure about these rinkee dinkee radios . lol lol

Mistah Gravy
07-31-2012, 09:47 AM
yeah,not really worth putting any money into this model? i like the looks of this radio but won't waste money on it if it's not worth it.

does anyone know if there is a weather frequency mod i can have done on one of my 148's? i'd really love to be able to pick up a weather channel or four on one of my radios.i could care less about the upper/lower channels that are installed but would really like to be able to r/x weather updates.that's more worth the money than a channel mod that's been done to one of my 148's. CB radios aren't all too popular up here in the NorthEast so we don't need more channels or frequencies to hang out on.

Beercanman
07-31-2012, 12:16 PM
The pc66 is a good radio and $20 for that lot is a great score. All's you need to do to that radio is turn up the audio circuit and it will talk great.
As far as a weather mod for that 148 goes, I'm sure it can be done, but it would be would be much more cost effective to buy a radio with weather already in it.

SkipShooter
08-27-2012, 10:56 PM
i got a few weather boards out of 29's im sure could go right in there and work ....

SkipShooter
08-27-2012, 10:59 PM
as for the 66xl... its a good radio... its not much on extra channels... but for a 40 ch talker its a good one if u have a little work on it ... just a modulation mod and it should fly for ya