PDA

View Full Version : Bonding, bonding, and more bonding.

noisemaker
12-08-2011, 06:08 PM
One thing that is often overlooked is rf bonding (often confused with dc grounding) i have a theory- if it moves, bond it! If its isolated by rubber, bond it! Rf is a funny thing and always seeks it closest path to ground. What should be bonded? Doors and gates shoud be bonded to bodies, bodies & tail pipes should be bonded to frames, hoods, hatches and trunks should be bonded to bodies. The tail pipe is alwAys overlooked because most people think that because it is bolted to your motor, its ok. Well, it aint! Think about it- u have a long pipe that is isolated by rubber and grounded on far end- just like a driven element! Put a gamma on it and you have a driven tailpipe! Bond it at the end that sticks out and youll be good! The shorter the bond, the better. So if your fuel pump quits or your windows go up and down when u key, bonding will most likey correct it.

Bulldog-Unit777
12-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Folks that rf bond will overall have the advantage. I spent the whole weekend one Summer. My 1998 Ford F-150, "American Bluzumr" long bed got the works. Cab - all 4 corners, bed - all 4 corners, cab to bed - 2 corners, exhaust, hood to firewall - 2 corners, tailgate to bed - 2 corners, doors to body - 1 each. Some ground straps I used shrink tubing and others under the truck, coated with a rubber undercoating. Old trucks with rust inspect once a year. If area has rusted enough, relocate a ground strap. Folks wonder why I get out in DX with less than some. It is because of rf bonding, good antenna installation and good equipment. But mother nature has the final say, when talking outside of Maine.

doughboy
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
my burb has got 3 on each side frame to body 2 exhaust to frame all doors hood hatches engine block to frame each fender to firewall and 1 on gascap

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
good conversation guys . ive been lazy on that one , i been tripping my computer for the last 6 years and i haven't fixed the beaping issue yet , i hate it so much , dammmmmmm Fords . lol lol lol

12-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Make sure you bond the wheels and drive axle, use at least 1" thick braid. These are often overlooked.

noisemaker
12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Make sure you bond the wheels and drive axle, use at least 1" thick braid. These are often overlooked.

have to weld those because they move at high speeds and create an RF field.

doughboy
01-09-2012, 08:46 AM
honestly i always laughed at the thought of grounding my muffler but after i did the noise level in the receive actually dropped noticeably coincidence maybe but i wasn't climbing back under to check