PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb

jp4fun
11-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I drove OTR many years ago, but all I ever had to do was throw the radio in and hook everything up. The antenna,coax, and power were already there for me. I have never had to do much setup. I recently bought a Cobra 29 LTD Classic for trail rides with the Jeep club. Of course now that I have it I will be using it a little more for hobby as well. So, as you already see, I have this installed in a jeep wrangler. The antenna(3' firestick) is mounted to the spare tire carrier. Ran a ground wire from the base to the tailgate and then on to the body. At the other end I routed the hot wire directly to the battery and the negative to a ground lug beneath the dash. SWR about 1.5:1 at 1 and 40. I didn't expect any better considering the setup. However it acts like the radio is is getting insufficient power. I have lots of noise that seems to be effected by anything related to power. For instance if I flip on the turn signal the noise increases and decreases in time. So help me trouble shoot this.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

High Voltage Mobile NJ
11-08-2012, 09:11 PM
try using a longer piece of coax . that usally helps alot . at least an 18 footer. should bring ya swr down to a 1.2 or lower.

ducksoupe
11-08-2012, 09:35 PM
maybe power right from the battery ? Little work but it might get rid of interferance

High Voltage Mobile NJ
11-08-2012, 09:39 PM
maybe power right from the battery ? Little work but it might get rid of interferance

he is powered right directly to the battery.

jp4fun
11-08-2012, 09:51 PM
18 ft premade K40 coax. I don't know what type of coax it is. I assumed K40 would produce decent quality stuff. Even though its 18ft it is not coiled up anywhere do to the way it runs.

jp4fun
11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Would a bad ground cause this type of symptom?

Beercanman
11-08-2012, 09:54 PM
At the other end I routed the hot wire directly to the battery and the negative to a ground lug beneath the dash. However it acts like the radio is is getting insufficient power.

Run the ground back to the battery and double check your connections to make sure their all serviceable.

Sent from my Dave Made mobile phone.

jp4fun
11-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I'll check my connections. If that doesn't work I will run negative to battery as well. If you guys can think of anything else let me know. It will probably be this weekend before I can get back to it. Also I was considering using a relay hooked up to accessory power to interrupt my supply power in case I forget to turn the radio off. Would this cause any problems?

ducksoupe
11-09-2012, 12:08 PM
then maybe it is the coax , i can't see a k40 in good condition causing much of a problem . make sure the battery ground is tight and no rust around it . How are the battery cables attached to the battery ? :yo:

jp4fun
11-09-2012, 02:19 PM
The coax was branded k40. Im using a firestick antenna.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
The coax was branded k40. Im using a firestick antenna.

3 foot antenna's are harder to tune than 5 foot antenna's . just for shits and giggles if you have the extra money , try a 5 foot everhart antenna they are rated very high in wattage and get out like a bandit. or try another antenna thats a bit longer and see if your swr goes down alot . your ground should be ok. :300 (215):

ducksoupe
11-10-2012, 12:40 PM
I have used a firestick and they are good antenna's could be the coax then

BOOTY MONSTER
11-10-2012, 02:53 PM
remove the coax from the radio , DO NOT KEY MIC !!! with the radio on , if you still have the noise it's not comming from the antenna or coax but through the power lines . then you will know where you need to work on eliminating the noise at .

jp4fun
11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
remove the coax from the radio , DO NOT KEY MIC !!! with the radio on , if you still have the noise it's not comming from the antenna or coax but through the power lines . then you will know where you need to work on eliminating the noise at .

Good idea. I'll give that a try.

Mistah Gravy
11-11-2012, 06:34 PM
you can run a noise filter inline to take some of that dirty noise out of it.it's all about your ground-which is why you're getting that noise.

like when you rev the motor,you'll get a noise.or like you said,when you turn on the blinker.....any process that is related to electrical output will cause a noise to run.get a noise filter at an auto parts store and run it inline with the power i believe(there will be instructions with the noise filter).either way good luck

jp4fun
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Looks like a bad power cord was the problem. After the fuse blew I got out the DMM and did a little testing. After replacing the fuse I read about 7v, so I replaced the cord. Is it possible I damaged the radio running with the crazy power? The noise seems to have cleared up with a new power cord, but I have yet to talk to anyone more than a half mile away. I just don't know if I'm getting out very well.

ducksoupe
11-12-2012, 05:43 PM
remove the coax from the radio , DO NOT KEY MIC !!! with the radio on , if you still have the noise it's not comming from the antenna or coax but through the power lines . then you will know where you need to work on eliminating the noise at . Thats a suggestion I will keep in mind . My base is in the house and when I PLUG ANOYHER CORD IN MY POWER STRIP FROM ANOTHER OUTLET i GET NOISE

BOOTY MONSTER
11-12-2012, 06:33 PM
glad you found the right end to be working on :)