PDA

View Full Version : >>> output wattage ??? <<<

BearKiller
11-11-2012, 01:24 AM
Please bear with my lack of knowledge.

As a general rule, how accurate are the cheapo SWR meters when it comes to measuring output wattage ??

I have a "DIESEL" brand SWR meter that seems to be plenty accurate enough for my purposes when it comes to measuring SWR.

I just used this meter to check the output of three un-altered Cobra radios, two 29WXNWST and a 29LTD ARMY.

Neither of the three radios tested over 2- to 2.5-watts according to my meter.

Are my findings typical, or is it more likely that my meter is inaccurate ??

To perform these output checks, I had the meter connected the same as for checking SWR, with the switches set on 0-10-watts and POWER, taking the reading with the mic keyed.

Thanks.

CBRN38
11-11-2012, 02:05 PM
thats close enough on stock radios

BearKiller
11-11-2012, 10:46 PM
How does one bump up the wattage just a wee bit ??

I am no electronics wizard, but I do know my way around a soldering iron.

I have plenty of extra Cobras and Midlands to learn on.

Thanks.

CBRN38
11-12-2012, 01:23 PM
turn the tower pot out till 2 threads stick above it. But you will also need to do the dk mod to keep things under control.

get a 47 uf, 16v cap and a 100 ohm 1 watt or 2 watt resister,
get those and when you return ill have the wire number you remove and install those at

Moonchild 747
05-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Most SWR meters will be accurate at 4-5 watt ranges...When you start dealing in the hundreds you might want to switch to a Bird or MFJ meter...The old Cap and Resister mod is the fav for most Mudducks...you can even add an adjustable mod to this by adding a variable resistor or unused knob like the Clarifier knob on a non SSB Cobra 29LX radio...haha...(What a waste of a perfectly good knob) to connect to the resistor points on the bottom of the board of the Cap and Resistor mod.

ducksoupe
11-26-2013, 06:00 AM
I blew out a 11 meter power meter with my HR2510. It put out to mant for the meter. I need a ham meter or one which will handle more watts.

Gordon Gekko
11-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Must have been a real shit meter for a 2510 to blow it up.