PDA

View Full Version : Dual Hots re- lived

D-MAX 2112
11-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Well i always have ideas and like to experiment... Dual hots on the surburban didnt pass the long term test.
Although they tuned.. talked dx and i was happy with them..i started to notice some strange things. So yesterday i figured i would setup a bounceback. I had hardline and connector and some terry 55's r4's and spare stingers.
Took a few hrs to run all the coaxran, get the hardline connector on, tune.. Tuning was a breeze.. by mfj was 1.1 r-49- x=3 .. "i'll key that"!
Hit 28 for a few tests and hands down when pointed in the direction bounceback kicks ass. Now i only have 2-3 hrs on this ..so i have more work to do..field strenth ect. Also not sure yet if i can talk off the back of the burban and how tight i am on rx off the back. Saturday im going to work on that.

doughboy
11-22-2012, 06:38 AM
I can trip redlights just by pointing at them lol i love the bounceback but local talk is a little rough sometimes cause of the tight backdoor

D-MAX 2112
11-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Doughboy... im not doing alot of local talk anyway. Still need to play with it and see how tight the back is..Saturday i will mess with it more.

CBRN38
11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
aaahhheemmmmm... Do I feel the greatest comment in the world? I told you so?

D max, when you have your hot antenna tuned for lowest reflect on what ever channel you want. set the back door 3 in taller then the hot.. Just try it and report back..

D-MAX 2112
11-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Ahhhh shuddd uppp!!..ya lugnut... actually thats where i have it from last week. I messed with it.. i only have FS meter and a bulb.. tweaked for highest fs about 20ft off the front.. turned out it was 1.1-1.2 r-48 x of 5 The back door is @ 3-4in above the front. Took about 20 min to tune. Hr to run the new hardline. I hear well off the back but transmit is tight.. hence bouncback.

Hey the dual hots worked.. but some weird things were happening.. the 1.2 heliax is still up in the headliner i might try it again sometime.

JesseJamesDallas
11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I have my Suburban wired for either 2-Hot, Bounce Back, or just single...What I found is unless your doing allot of shoot-out's, just running one in DX is your best friend...specially if your driving around....

Beercanman
11-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I found the same results to be true.

Sent from my Dave Made mobile phone.

CBRN38
11-26-2012, 07:55 PM
when tuning 2 hots for someone this weekend. I found that lowest reflect is much lower gain then a bounceback. even when I raised the one antenna to get gain with alittle reflect, when testing at 16,000 watts the bounceback punished his dash mounted fs meter where the 2 hots didnt. air testing to follow.

D-MAX 2112
11-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Well when i tried to tune for lower reflect on the duals...obviously i lost alot of gain..when i tuned for higher fs reading.. i noticed the amp ran hotter.. the reflect was higher..but exceptable.. IMO it lost Efficiency.. amp seemed to work hard..was hitting my alternators harder with less wattage output. I had one amp take out a driver transisitor..was it the reflect?..not sure friend of mine touched the amp and got.."stung" just after that my output dropped off and.. i had an issue with the radio used... the failed parts in the radio suggested possible reflect issue.. although my reflect on the bird was not too bad.. with a 25w slug.. kind of strange.

doughboy
11-28-2012, 07:01 AM
To much reflect could do that but i get about 40 watts reflect at 3000 out with no problems or rf bites

doughboy
11-28-2012, 07:05 AM
I wouldnt tune for fs unless your in bounceback and want highest forward gain setup
dual hots are more omni directional i would aim for lowest reflect and be nice to your equipment also remember a high fs reading means the antenna is radiating well but at the same time it may not have a good swr in its resonant area so you have to find a happy place

D-MAX 2112
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Yeap..im in bounce back .. i seem to have found the happy spot.. mfj has great readings and its very broad banded. My reflect with a 25w slug is about 10 watts at @ 2k bird. I was surprised that my mfj claims my resonant area is @ ch 24.. but the readings on the mfj barely change all the way up to 27.750.. (I didnt chk below freq's) i didnt even bother looking past there.. i stopped and chalked it up as good.

I wouldnt tune for fs unless your in bounceback and want highest forward gain setup
dual hots are more omni directional i would aim for lowest reflect and be nice to your equipment also remember a high fs reading means the antenna is radiating well but at the same time it may not have a good swr in its resonant area so you have to find a happy place

High Voltage Mobile NJ
11-30-2012, 03:30 PM
hey D Max if your getting 10 bird reflect , part of your feedline coax is not right before the amplifier .

i really think you had nothing wrong with the dual hotts before .

alot of amplifiers are not tuned properly from the technician and therefore your reflect gets all messed up .

the amount of coax you run after your radio is the most critical. :flock:

D-MAX 2112
11-30-2012, 03:56 PM
If it matters the 10w goes down to 2-3w when modulation hits... The box tuning was checked last Sun.. on a bench.. deemed to be almost perfect.. by Dave.. I dont know why... it dead keys 10w reflect and swings down to the 2-3w which i thought was ok.. My output is forward swing and reflect downward swing. The FS jives with the output swing. i put a cheapo peak meter and its all fwd swing. I also find if i turn my drive wattage up.. the dead key 10 reflect will go to 5w and swing down... so im think im fine.

D-MAX 2112
11-30-2012, 04:01 PM
HV also im using all new coax for the bounce back..1/2 andrews heliax... figured lenth by the velocity factor of 81... using the coax calculator here.

CBRN38
11-30-2012, 11:03 PM
hey d max.... im waiting

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Don't know where to start on all the BS.

i no you dont know how to start with this . because you dont no shit. you will have this with bandcamping . :pop::bump:

D-MAX 2112
12-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Oh boy....

D-MAX 2112
12-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Waiting for what?

CBRN38
12-02-2012, 09:01 PM
well lets see. you bitched about my comment on how 2 hots was junk. you bitched here, face book, ratchet jaw......
I even got a mesage from you about it....
look where we are at now... I gave you my technical opinion, you did what you did, then did what I sugested and here we are.
Dont worry I dont expect you to retract any of those comments.

D-MAX 2112
12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Breeze..

One thing you dont get..im doing what i want to do, weather its right or wrong /works or fails.. I didnt do what "you said" my plan was all along to try both and see which i thought worked best. Hence why i bought 40ft of 1/2 heliax.. Ive already tuned and messed with bounceback on another surburban before mine.
I did ask you a question .. i felt you were a decent guy.. but instead you ..never mind this wont go anywhere but a bunch of useless back and fourth. Dont worry i will never ask you anything.
No retraction required... So weather you felt it was "all you"..Feel free to pat yourself on the back if thats what you need.

mackmobile43
12-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Breeze..

One thing you dont get..im doing what i want to do, weather its right or wrong /works or fails.. I didnt do what "you said" my plan was all along to try both and see which i thought worked best. Hence why i bought 40ft of 1/2 heliax.. Ive already tuned and messed with bounceback on another surburban before mine.
I did ask you a question .. i felt you were a decent guy.. but instead you ..never mind this wont go anywhere but a bunch of useless back and fourth. Dont worry i will never ask you anything.
No retraction required... So weather you felt it was "all you"..Feel free to pat yourself on the back if thats what you need.

I wouldn't put much faith in anything Highvoltage NJ says either because all he knows is "keydown" hiding in a park where no one goes and runs his cocksucker in some back street bullshit talk that no normal human comprehends and has no credible electronic RF theory backing it.

Running 2 ''hot'' anntennas does nothing but change the lobe pattern of the vehicle and can only be controlled by the distance these antennas are placed apart from one another.

Your best bet is to just to have one ''HOT'' in the middle of the roof and a reflector at an unknown distance to the rear of that "HOT" antenna to narrow the lobe band towards the front of the vehicle but I'm sure in your tests you've already discovered this.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't put much faith in anything Highvoltage NJ says either because all he knows is "keydown" hiding in a park where no one goes and runs his cocksucker in some back street bullshit talk that no normal human comprehends and has no credible electronic RF theory backing it.

Running 2 ''hot'' anntennas does nothing but change the lobe pattern of the vehicle and can only be controlled by the distance these antennas are placed apart from one another.

Your best bet is to just to have one ''HOT'' in the middle of the roof and a reflector at an unknown distance to the rear of that "HOT" antenna to narrow the lobe band towards the front of the vehicle but I'm sure in your tests you've already discovered this.

oghh by the way you have to do real tests. you cant believe everything you read because that makes you very ignorant. i no my stuff baby , and continue to drop the maul down with no problems breakaaaaaa. :300 (185):

Beercanman
12-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Posting someone's name, address and phone # = Gay.

Sent from your mom's mobile phone.

mackmobile43
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Posting someone's name, address and phone # = Gay.

Sent from your mom's mobile phone.

Idle threats are just about as gay and faggot trash truck drivers don't have the intelligence to carry them out let alone the balls

Sent from my LG-P990h using Tapatalk 2

D-MAX 2112
12-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Geeze everyone relax.. its only CB ..WTF..

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Idle threats are just about as gay and faggot trash truck drivers don't have the intelligence to carry them out let alone the balls

Sent from my LG-P990h using Tapatalk 2

tapa tapa tapa tapa tapa. lol lol lol i got my balls than ever you little boy can imagine , lol lol lol
shu shu shu shu 631 bandcamper.:bump:

doughboy
12-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Come on hv you know better then to do that

High Voltage Mobile NJ
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
sorry , lol lol:300 (145):

manonegra
06-09-2018, 04:37 PM
question i,m running that setup does the spacing need to be ezact 6 feet on the refl just like the other two.

manonegra
05-20-2019, 10:17 AM
i run two hot i'm happy with it