PDA

View Full Version : May Buy Another Radio Soon - What Would You Buy???

JohnnyFlake
12-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I am not sure and I need to learn how to check it out, but with the antenna problem I've had, I think I may have fried my brand new Galaxy 979 :Cry:

Either way, I am thinking of buying a new, higher quality radio. If you could buy any radio you wanted CB/SSB or 10 meter with AM, FM, SSB at $600 max, what would you buy?

Also, please comment on why you would go with the radio you chose.

BOOTY MONSTER
12-25-2012, 09:18 PM
http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/transceivers-and-receivers/part-type/base-transceivers/product-line/icom-ic-718-hf-all-band-transceivers?autoview=SKU

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Icom-718.html

ducksoupe
12-25-2012, 10:03 PM
try this one Well there are some nice radios out there , is for CB or you have a license for 10 meter . I would stay away from Ebay with that much money you are willing to send . Do a search on Google for CB dealers and dealers of ham radios . At-least you know where they are .I spent time on the net finding good web sites , Make sure they will except Papal

JesseJamesDallas
12-25-2012, 10:11 PM
$125 Cobra 29lx, and spend the rest on as big a Amp as I could get with whats left over...If SSB is something I really wanted, then get a new 979 and spend the rest on the Amp...But that's just me...I like to be herd "Loud and Proud"...

JohnnyFlake
12-25-2012, 10:52 PM
http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/transceivers-and-receivers/part-type/base-transceivers/product-line/icom-ic-718-hf-all-band-transceivers?autoview=SKU

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Icom-718.html

Those are both over $700 and more than I want to spend. I am thinking something more like the following or in that class of transceiver.

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1298

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=820
(http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=820)
I am also looking at the following based on a few recommendations.

http://www.wearecb.com/store/rf-limited-magnums980-75-watt-10-meter-mobile-amateur-transceiver-radio-p-2905.html?osCsid=58f4535280e66dc7054a92fd22c03fdd

JohnnyFlake
12-25-2012, 10:55 PM
$125 Cobra 29lx, and spend the rest on as big a Amp as I could get with whats left over...If SSB is something I really wanted, then get a new 979 and spend the rest on the Amp...But that's just me...I like to be herd "Loud and Proud"...

I did buy a 979 a few weeks ago. That's the radio I think I fried. I am not sure how to check it out, but right now I do not have an antenna in place. I get no sound of any kind, no static, no nothing.

ducksoupe
12-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Uniden has an inexpensive side-bander . Maybe an inexpensive SWR meter . I have a Vanco SWR meter in line t all times as I use various radios . I only have 2 sideband radios out of the pack .

Bandit
12-29-2012, 07:53 AM
Hi Johnny, I too had an antenna malfunction (this is code for "I keyed it up to long with a high SWR") Interestingly, i found that it still put out a clean 2 watts and through a small "amp" it sounds great. Is repairing the 979 an optiion?

JohnnyFlake
12-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi Johnny, I too had an antenna malfunction (this is code for "I keyed it up to long with a high SWR") Interestingly, i found that it still put out a clean 2 watts and through a small "amp" it sounds great. Is repairing the 979 an optiion?

I don't really know if it's worth looking into. A new friend came over yesterday and got me started in the right direction with my new 257HP but he agrees that there is a problem with the 979. I am not knowledgeable enough to open up the 979 and check out what may be wrong, and I have not been able to find a tech in my area.

Any advise on what I can try to do or where I could get it checked out will be appreciated.

m168
05-08-2014, 08:12 AM
I just got back into CB, [no ticket] about a year ago after several decades as a trucker using Cobras and Texas Stars. In that time I have bought and sold a Uniden 980 and an RCI 2985DX, several amps, tube and FET and pill. I now consider it a terrible waste of money. About 3 months ago, i bought a Kenwood TS 430s and it was the best move I ever made. I have talked most of EU and all the states and a good part of South America and used it for digital mode, which is even better. I would recommend you buy one of those. fairly cheap for what they are, they put out about 100 watts in SSB and they don't splatter.

I am now waiting, while the skip is flipping, for a used Yaesu 101 I bought and am having the AM filter and 11 meter crystal being installed. Nothing like the sound of a tube radio. :)

wi544
05-08-2014, 06:01 PM
if you have $500-600 to spend,, DO not waste your time with a cb,, go get a hf radio, entry level= alnico dx-sr8t or icom 718, or a used alnico dx70 or kenwood ts50

m168
05-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Hey 544, it's La Crosse. :)

JesseJamesDallas
05-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Think I would fix my antenna problem before spending another dime on a radio...

222DBFL
05-09-2014, 04:52 AM
JJD is 110% right, DO NOT BUY a other radio until you have resolved the antenna system issue, this includes all coax, connectors and the antenna, make sure that the coax is free of any kinks or damage, check for loose connectors or bad ones, and then recheck the swr reading with an external swr meter, not the one built into the radio. Use a cheap radio to do this!! This way if you hurt the radio no biggie, find a used radio, and set your system up, then get the radio you really want. Without a good antenna system you are Pi Pi'ing into the wind! Your new radio will only work as well as the antenna system will let it. Like JJD said, don't spend another dime on a radio until you fix the antenna issue.

05-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Antenna problems are easy. Find a cb shop with an antenna analyzer. Pay them to properly install and tune your antenna. Cost me 20 dollars.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

222DBFL
05-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Good advice 856, that is off there is a cb shop close to him, I know around here I wouldn't take a walkie talkie to any of the techs around here.

05-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Good advice 856, that is off there is a cb shop close to him, I know around here I wouldn't take a walkie talkie to any of the techs around here.

I guess I'm lucky. I have a really good guy.

222DBFL
05-09-2014, 10:07 PM
They are getting harder to find that's for sure, it really sucks as normally most would have to buy the proper equipment themselves. But hey I wouldn't mind having a nice mfj antenna analyzer!!

05-09-2014, 10:10 PM
They are getting harder to find that's for sure, it really sucks as normally most would have to buy the proper equipment themselves. But hey I wouldn't mind having a nice mfj antenna analyzer!!

A rat shack jober works just fine but you can't do better then an analyzer.

NY714
05-10-2014, 04:35 PM
I just got back into CB, [no ticket] about a year ago after several decades as a trucker using Cobras and Texas Stars. In that time I have bought and sold a Uniden 980 and an RCI 2985DX, several amps, tube and FET and pill. I now consider it a terrible waste of money. About 3 months ago, i bought a Kenwood TS 430s and it was the best move I ever made. I have talked most of EU and all the states and a good part of South America and used it for digital mode, which is even better. I would recommend you buy one of those. fairly cheap for what they are, they put out about 100 watts in SSB and they don't splatter.

I am now waiting, while the skip is flipping, for a used Yaesu 101 I bought and am having the AM filter and 11 meter crystal being installed. Nothing like the sound of a tube radio. :)

Do your homework with research. I agree the next strp to Ham radio is a good start for LSB, or USB talking, but if your going to use AM for alot of your talking may not want to go to Ham Radio yet. Might be better off with Export 10/12 Meter Radio. It all depends where you spend the majority of your talking.

PS - Those New President Grant 2 and Lincoln 2 aren't looking bad. They have already found a fix for the Lincoln 2's firmware to make the receive as good as the Grant 2, especially if need a dual final radio.