PDA

View Full Version : 2 Meter/440 Radios - is anyone into them?

JohnnyFlake
01-05-2013, 03:19 PM
I am treading on new ground again and have decided to try for an entry level FCC Licenses. My reason is to become involved in the 2 Meter/440 Bands which I understand are very busy in my area. Also there is a Repeater Tower on Black Mountain which is in line of site from where I live at about 6 miles.

I would appreciate a few radio suggestions but not the super expensive units.

If you have had or are now using one, at this time, that info would be great.

radioreddz
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
try the yaesu 7900r it's a great radio i"ve been using one for 3 years trouble free it also has expanded listing coverage for air traffic some police fire rail road ect

JohnnyFlake
01-13-2013, 11:21 PM
try the yaesu 7900r it's a great radio i"ve been using one for 3 years trouble free it also has expanded listing coverage for air traffic some police fire rail road ect

Thanks, I have looked at them and I am interested. What's the deal with programing?

I am at a point in my life where I don't like things too complicated. Are they easy to use?

Flap_Jackson
04-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Partly it depends on how much you want to spend. My HT is 2m/70cm, but my Kenwood that I use in the house is 2m only. I found that I personally never used the 440 Mhz band so didn't see the point in spending extra for 70cm at home when 2m was all I was using.

Flap_Jackson
04-24-2013, 10:19 AM
PS Here's the 2m radio I use at home with a homemade groundplane antenna in my attic:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-011362

Moonchild 747
05-06-2013, 10:10 PM

Great radio...Have one in my car...2m is pretty active in most places and there are other options you can do too like ECHO Link and IRLP...Have checked in to a couple of known IRLP nodes in my area and talk to the Aussie's on the weekends sometimes...Only way you can send a VHF signal thousands of miles...I have some really good Ham friends that teach me tons and alway help me out with my gear when I need help...I first started out with Yaesu Ft-60r ($149.00) can't beat it...Found that I really liked it and purchased the 7900 for my mobile...But CB is my passion and the friends I have on CB are just as great...

Tallman
05-07-2013, 10:32 AM
I have a TYT model TH-UVF9 that covers 138-174 MHz and 400-480 MHZ. It's a small walkie talkie and has 5 watt output. Does all of the codes for repeaters and cost less than $60.00. This link will take you right to it.
http://www.dnjradio.com//product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=285&osCsid=54e40f77496cc5af6901446f40bf5ab7

Ray_Stankewitz
05-27-2013, 08:05 PM
I hold an Amateur Extra HAM ticket so I can tell you that you can't go wrong with a Yaesu 7900 or 8800. With the 8800 and a hand-held like a Yaesu FT-60R, you can make your mobile act as a repeater for the HT radio. HT on 70cm, cross repeat the signal onto 2M with the 8800.

HT's (hand-held) have the limitation of 5 watts, whereas the mobile will have 50watts out of the box.

I like HAM radio but most of my family don't see a need to have a Technician or better ticket, so they have CB's.

Ray

peterwo2e
06-25-2013, 02:29 AM
2 meters is the new CB radio but more people friendly. what ever you do do not pick up the icom 208h mobile rig, i have it and that thing is like a vacuum cleaner for noise. lots of old time CB radio ops that i had lost contact with are here on uhf and vhf. most guys will shy away because is a more control eviroment. but for on the road use is the best. i run the 208h for local chat and a cobra 29 for traffic info. it makes my 140 mile one way daily comute more fun.

Fogdog
06-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Just got my tech license the 1st of June. I bought a cheap Baufeng HT dual band 2meter 440. Some say it's a POS and some people love them. I'm with the later. Yes it is difficult to program. I haven't been able to get the computer program to work, but I can do it manually with no problem. I even showed a newb how to do his.

This radio rocks. I put a dual band mag mount on my truck and it is said to be very loud. Full quieting 5x9. It has 1 watt or almost 5 watts. I have talked simplex with 5 watts 12 miles. The dang thing only cost $40.00 and that included the charger, battery, headset, external mic/speaker. I just built a Tiger tail antenna (really just a wire and ring terminal) and this thing now works in my house hitting the repeaters with no problem.

The 2meter band is always busy around here. We even have two 70cm repeaters that are used. Although not that much. This little UV5R Plus IMHO and many others around here who have given me perfect radio reports is a damm good rig. I've droped it 6 or seven times hard the the concrete and pavement, the battery flew off and everything, and it still works perfect. Didn't even chip a piece of plastic off. Cam't say enough good things about it.

I haven't been able to use the IRLP with it yet, but it is capable of that as well. It really has it all except Gps, and I've never been lost before. Well maybe a bit confused for a month or two. Ha Ha.

Gotta get my General next so I can get a nice HF Rig. Thats where it's at.

Still love my CB Radio though. It will always have a place in my Pick-up and my Shack that I'm slowly building.

Take care my Junkies, and 73 to you Hams.