PDA

View Full Version : New guy here , with a question or two.

ccrain
02-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Well, I have always had a passion for cb's since a kid. My dad has been a truck driver since the late 70s. Just the other day i put a stock Cobra 25 ltd classic in my car with a "little Will" wilson antenna. I got to looking at peaked and tuned radios and become intersted. I run up on this today and decided to buy it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobra-29-LTD-Classic-tuned-and-peaked-out-with-a-MOSFET-Supertune-Kit-Installed-/281064480553?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=KYWRme7gsjUfdKD99BFuZn7JwgQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I wanted a radio that had been peaked and tuned. The price was within my spending budget so i bought it. I can not wait to get it. I know how to use a SWR meter to tune antenna thought I would mention that. Also a question is would a cobra CA-75 noise cancelling mic be better on the radio or the roadking that will come with it? Also how many miles could talk? Or ball park number? I know I am only using a entry level Wilson antenna, but plan to buy a Wilson 5000 when funds let me. Just curious. I have a collection of 12 or so radios. Mainly older cobras my dad has had over the years etc.

doughboy
02-13-2013, 10:26 PM
i would stick with the roadking mic on that

Boozer
02-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Kinda depends on the lay of the land , if it's flat you might 5or 10 miles with that Lil Wilson , just a guess of course ..Depends where it 's at on the rig ,and what standing wave ..

Moonchild 747
05-06-2013, 11:16 PM
I tend to lean toward power mic's instead of noise canceling mic's only cause I don't have a lot of road noise in my vehicle and I don't drive with the windows down (Love the fact that A/C was invented)...Good thing about a power mic is that you can control the modulation of your audio before your radio gets to process it...Some radios already have this option so if so then yes I would go for the noise canceling mic just to have the option one nice summer day when I decided to cut off the A/C and cruise with the windows down...haha...I agree with Boozer, nominal 5-10miles max depending on the terrain...I've had both the Lil Wil and the 5k...5k pushed consistently toward the 10mile mark where the Lil Wil kept me near the 5-7mile range...gave the Lil Wil to a friend and the 5k to my son...