PDA

View Full Version : Hy gain spt500???

Pollock
02-25-2013, 11:14 AM
I just got a new penatrator 500 and was just curious if anyone knows what height to set it for 11m?

Pollock
02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
I think I got it 22.5 is a true 5/8 of a wave I will start there

Boozer
02-26-2013, 08:42 AM
710This might help

Pollock
02-26-2013, 09:04 AM
That is the same one they send with the antenna and when I spoke with Tom from HyGain he said that is the setting for 10m and since he can not legally sell that antenna for 11m he could not tell me how to set it just that It will tune to the band

Boozer
02-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Gotya,i got an old one iput up used the old marks ,never thought to messure it .You will like it ..

Pollock
02-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Thank you I have another question when you installed yours did you run a ground wire to it and if so where did you attach it to I had an a99 previous to this and I grounded between one of the clamps and the mast can not do that with this one as the clamps don't contact the antenna element

BOOTY MONSTER
02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
I think I got it 22.5 is a true 5/8 of a wave I will start there

that'll work . you can go up to 23 ft on the vertical to .64 WL . some claim .64 is the cats meow ...... but i didn't notice any difference .

Pollock
02-26-2013, 07:41 PM
Yeah if the weather holds up this weekend I'm going to set up the test pole in the yard and play with a few setting and see whats best before I set it on the roof also going to move the ground to a few different spot to see whats best thank you guys for the responses I have only been in the hobbie for a little over 3 years and I learn something every year it seams I have made a dipole and plain to make a 1/2 over a 1/4 j pole soon I will post when I do

Dirty Diaper
02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Yeah if the weather holds up this weekend I'm going to set up the test pole in the yard and play with a few setting and see whats best before I set it on the roof also going to move the ground to a few different spot to see whats best thank you guys for the responses I have only been in the hobbie for a little over 3 years and I learn something every year it seams I have made a dipole and plain to make a 1/2 over a 1/4 j pole soon I will post when I do Hello Pollock, I have one, and after getting it from DX Eng., I went to CB Tricks, and printed out a manual for the original. Another owner said to put nylon rope inside the elements to bleed off static, but I always thought that was to strengthen the elements. I thought static electricity ran on the surface of an object, and when did nylon conduct static better than aluminum? I would not do it anyway, too much extra work, weight, etc. Hope you get it up , and set like you want it. If the info I posted is of no use to you, please disregard it. Take care , 3x7 in S.C. said that.

hotrod
03-02-2013, 08:22 AM
thats a great antenna. once ya get it set im sure you,ll enjoy it. just dont rush it .it will take ya
longer than it did with the a99. so start early and enjoy the day. 22.5- 23 feet should get ya there

BOOTY MONSTER
03-02-2013, 10:06 AM
" ....... Another owner said to put nylon rope inside the elements to bleed off static ...... "

who ever said that is a dumb-ass . nylon is non conductive and would have no effect of RF .
thats a great antenna you have there . as hotrod said , take your time with it and you should see a improvement over your A99 .

Pollock
03-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys I think I will be try it out tomorrow today is pretty windy on the island and cold only 22 but the new set should be great I got a new run of lmr400 with silver coated pl259 connectors and also upgraded my ground wire to 6 gauge solid copper to a 8 1/2' solid ground rod

hotrod
03-02-2013, 12:34 PM
yea its cold here in pa also around 20 or so. the good lmr coax and that antenna should make a great
combo.far as grounding it ,if its going to be on a tower most just run a ground strap or wire from
the ground rod to to tower usually a bolt. in 1 case ive seen the ground rod less than 1 inch from
the tower. if ya using a mast pipe /telescopic pipe guess ya could try to drill a hole in the pipe
say 1/2 inch then with a bolt/nut run your ground wire to it.you do wanna keep them as short as possible
and grounding it at the base of the antenna i would think that will give ya negitives results cause if your
ground wire is too long it can radiate like a antenna.hopefully i got all this right and if not hopefully someone will correct me. this is just my best of understanding

Pollock
03-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Wouldn't you know it wake up ready to start project to a fresh coat 1/2 inch deep wet slick snow on the roof

doughboy
03-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Why can he not sell it legally as an 11meter antenna ive never heard that one before

Pollock
03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Because it is a all aluminum antenna cb antennas have to be able to hit a high power line without passing a certain amount of electricity to the handler by law or have enough non conductive material to pass a test on voltage before it can be sold to the general public antenna such as maco and workman 58 and alike are sold as commercial antenna to get around this law google it as I'm sure I got something wrong but there is a law and that is the general understanding of it that I understand anyhow

doughboy
03-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Never heard of such a law ham radio antennas are metal or fiberglass tv antennas also come in metal as do scanner and vhf uhf antennas the only laws on cb antennas govern height and also heights near airports sounds like someone just used that as An excuse

Pollock
03-03-2013, 10:29 PM
http://law.justia.com/cfr/title16/16-2.0.1.2.35.html. Here is a link that I found that describes it much better

doughboy
03-03-2013, 10:41 PM
Crazy i would never thought it but i guess cb people cant even be trusted as much as a tv antenna installer

In short, if a company or individual wants to market an omni-directional CB antenna, the antenna has to physically tested in a defined test situation when the antenna is intentionally brought in contact with an equivalent of a standard residential distribution primary line, and withstand that contact (with coax and mast connected) with less than 5 mA current flow.

Anyone selling a CB antenna that cannot, with feedline and metal mast attached, directly contact a 14.5 kV RMS line is subject to huge penalties, and must even recall the products.

This is not a simple matter of throwing some insulation on an antenna, or using an insulated mount. It takes a great deal of insulation, and it is very unlikely any mount-insulating system would ever work because the coax and mast would not be allowed to conduct harmful currents. The only legal solution practical is a well-insulated antenna element. Whatever the method, the antenna area would have to withstand physical contact directly to a 14.5 kV RMS power line in the condition the antenna would be in as erected with no leakage above 5 mA. That means feedline and mast in place.

We can pretty well bet anyone selling an aluminum omni-directional vertical for CB use is breaking a law that has some pretty stiff penalties, unless they have found a way to have 21 kV of peak voltage isolation between the antenna and the mast and coax.

doughboy
03-03-2013, 10:43 PM
I guess its ok if want to be electrocuted by a beam because it only covers omni antennas

Pollock
03-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Right!!! That's what I was saying when I was reading all that mess that's why the IMAX and a99 became so popular because for a short time that's all that was available as cb antenna till they figured out the loop holes as list them as commercial 11m or only selling as 10-12m even though we all know they tune to 11m

Pollock
03-03-2013, 11:16 PM
But on that also the law doesn't say anything about a cb owner using an all metal omni antenna it just covers the manufacturer so it is perfectly legal to own and operate one of these antenna

BOOTY MONSTER
03-04-2013, 11:14 AM
But on that also the law doesn't say anything about a cb owner using an all metal omni antenna it just covers the manufacturer so it is perfectly legal to own and operate one of these antenna

.................... and to build one of your own .

Pollock
03-05-2013, 09:15 PM
So true that project is on hold for the moment to many going at the same time as it is lol

Pollock
03-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Well finally got it up have to a little more adjusting not as low of a swr as I like but very close I am just very fussy when it comes to that but I have a 1.2.1 on ch.1 and 1.3.1 on ch.40 so can't complain to much

hotrod
11-04-2013, 06:27 PM
i know this isseveral months old, but curious how ya like that antenna

Dirty Diaper
11-05-2013, 06:29 AM
I "LIKED" it very much,UNTIL a flock of turkey buzzards,maybe 10 or more,landed on it and bent it to a horseshoe. I had it taken down for repair. They also bent the front flat side elements on my beam as well. It is still up, and looks like a JoeGunn hybrid. No decrease in performance LOL. I will put the SPT500 back up soon.

Boozer
11-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Man that's some bad luck .. You might be a redneck if a flock of turkey buzzards land on your tanna and bent it .... LOL

Pollock
11-06-2013, 12:57 AM
I have had the antenna for a while now and I love it. It has great ears and a big mouth to go along for the ride a bit of a pain in the hind end to tune but worth the time, I have talk from buffalo to Texas barefoot and over to Cali with a little help on am on ssb I have talk as far as Ireland thus far couldn't be happier with this antenna

hotrod
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM
sounds great pollock