PDA

View Full Version : Rf 2018 extreme or astatic road devil?

stonewall38
03-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi everyone. I have a question about mics. I will be running my cobra 29 ltd classic with peak and tune with a finals upgrade or swing kit as some folks say. The guy at the shop sells both the extreme 2018 and road devil. I have heard both but can't make up my mind. The extreme sounds good but I don't like all the knobs and seems complicated in some areas but the road devil seems more simple. Keep In mind I'm only running this rig in my pickup.
Thanks everybody!

scooter71nc
03-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Well if you don't care about echo I would go with the red devil. but if you want echo the 2018 is a good mic. Also the red devil will not pick up as much noise but it is still a power mic so it will pick it up. Also I will say this if your radio has been modded with swing kit and all that stuff you really don't need a power mic. you could look into a astatic 636l or a road king 56 or super star makes a rk56 clone that is a ok mic. I hope this helps!!!

stonewall38
03-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks scooter I didn't think about the swing mod I hear that those road kings are decent mics.

scooter71nc
03-21-2013, 02:22 PM
From what I have seen in the past from my customers is if you have a lot of bass in your voice the astatic 636l does better than rk56 but if you are high pitched the rk56 does great. The superstar rk56 clone does good for both and very affordable

stonewall38
03-21-2013, 03:15 PM
:300 (140): well I just called the guy bells is in Fla he has completed my work and my rig is on its way back here I sent him all the money for the work and the mic last we talked I told him to tune it with the road devil so that's the mic that is coming back with my radio. Oh we'll it's only 55 bucks maybe it will work fine..

scooter71nc
03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Yes the red devil will work fine. I have a few radios I run them on myself. Just don't try to crank the audio on the side of the mic to far. I run mine about 1/4 the way up. and than adjust with mic gain on radio to reduce background noise. The red devil has great audio and works like the 636l but is amplified. I think you will like it just fine.

stonewall38
03-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks scooter I appreciate the info...

High Voltage Mobile NJ
03-21-2013, 09:55 PM
nice avatar stonewall38 . bufurd T Justice . smokey and the bandit . lol :300 (36):

stonewall38
03-22-2013, 04:36 AM
LOL only Jackie Gleason could play that part.

Bulldog-Unit777
03-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Myself I like them both. A radio that has been modded which allows the transmitting power to be set low and swing - peak 4 or more times power will have some big audio to start off. So if you choose an Xtreme 2018 or Astatic Road Devil which are amplified microphones the gain should be set low. RF Limited makes another nice power microphone with tone controls called the CR577. Gain contol and tone control on the thumb wheels and no turning of the pods involved. Now on the other hand noise cancelling microphones like the Astatic 636L series, Road King 56 (clones too), Wilson, Ranger SRA-198...etc you can run the microphone gain on the radio higher, even on max. Sometimes this is the best with talking 2-3 inches from the mic and in some cases your radios power is driven more forward. If you run talk back it will be easily adjustable since amplified microphones make present feedback issues. Turn the microphone gain down and now you sound low when transmitting. If you need to get a closer of some microphones on the market here is one of my videos, enjoy Bulldog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVMVMbPps6U

stonewall38
03-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Hey bulldog since I decided to get back into the hobby I have watched several of your videos you have some good info thanks for that. I already have one of the wilson mics and love the way it fits my hand .when I sent my radio in to have it worked on I had it in my mind that I needed a power mic now I am afraid I have spent the extra 55 dollars when in fact that wilson noise canceler is just fine.. My next project is this weekend going to tenn to my dads cobra base station back to put in my shop I might hit you up for questions about antennas for that my wife won't let me spend a whole lot on one right now and my dads is too big not taking that thing down without a freaking boom truck lol

Bulldog-Unit777
03-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Thanks for watching my videos and glad to be of help, Bulldog.