PDA

View Full Version : Safe drive for fatboy straight 4x2879

461NJ
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Any ideas how many watts I can smash into a 4pill 2879 fatboy base amp without killing the pills?

Post Dispatched Via Rabbit Vibrator.

scooter71nc
03-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Well normally a 4 pill needs around 100 watts bird drive. which is 2 2sc2290's. that is what I use to drive mine in my mobile the base should be the same. the main think is the voltage the 4 pill is at. some people use 2 2879's to drive a 4 pill but I think it is useless. Hope this helps.

461NJ
03-27-2013, 04:35 AM
I drove it with a rm 203 yesterday and saw somewhere around 940 pep. Need to measure bird today both the rm and the fatboy.

Post Dispatched Via Rabbit Vibrator.

scooter71nc
03-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Ok well I don't know to muchabout the rm203 never ran one. All I know about them are they have mosfets in them. I have ran some rm amps in the past but never one that small so not sure of the wattage it will do. Now I forgot in my first post to say I do not read my wattage with a peak kit. I only use RMS but I do have a bird with a peak kit and I hooked it up for you. Hear is my results: My Fatboy 2 pill with 2 2sc2290's in it was swinging 100 bird RMS not sure on peak forgot to look, but the 2 pill driving the 4 pill was giving me 500 to 510 bird RMS and around 1200 peak. I was running it on a regulated power supply in house the power supply is regulated at 15vdc. I hope this helps. Oh ya I about forgot I was using a Cobra 29ltd radio from Dustin at RRCOM the radio will also depend on your output but it should be close as long as you can get a driver to do around 100 bird RMS

High Voltage Mobile NJ
03-27-2013, 03:26 PM
well normally a 4 pill needs around 100 watts bird drive. Which is 2 2sc2290's. That is what i use to drive mine in my mobile the base should be the same. The main think is the voltage the 4 pill is at. Some people use 2 2879's to drive a 4 pill but i think it is useless. Hope this helps. u put 100 bird into a 4 pill amp and you should blow up in a matter of seconds. No more than 50-60 watt bird into a 4 pill 2879 amp at 14 to 15 volts. And thats with the radio doing no more than 4 watts dead key . :300 (225):you will no when you swing back if your over driving it .

scooter71nc
03-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Hey Highvoltage what you talking about I put 100watts bird swing into my 4 pill everyday. LOL I run a fatboy 2 pill with a 123built 4 pill. LOL I run my truck at 18volts all the time. I run the 2 pill on 14volts and 4 pill on volt line. That is what 123 told me to put into it. LOL I use a 2 pill to drive my 4 pill and my 6pill. humm well even when I am on the keydown line I use the same 100bird drive into my 4 pill at 20 volts. now I am not talking about Deadkeying 100 bird into the 4 I said 100 watts bird drive Rms swing. but I guess differant strokes for differant folks, but I have been running the same amps for alone time and never blow them up. lol. charger and 123 have been good friends of mine for the whole time I have been keying and I have ran my stuff the same for years.

some people run 50 bird into them that would be a 1 pill. but hey look they also build 2x4 amps as well heck fatboy has a 2x4 with all 2879's in it.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
03-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey Highvoltage what you talking about I put 100watts bird swing into my 4 pill everyday. LOL I run a fatboy 2 pill with a 123built 4 pill. LOL I run my truck at 18volts all the time. I run the 2 pill on 14volts and 4 pill on volt line. That is what 123 told me to put into it. LOL I use a 2 pill to drive my 4 pill and my 6pill. humm well even when I am on the keydown line I use the same 100bird drive into my 4 pill at 20 volts. now I am not talking about Deadkeying 100 bird into the 4 I said 100 watts bird drive Rms swing. but I guess differant strokes for differant folks, but I have been running the same amps for alone time and never blow them up. lol. charger and 123 have been good friends of mine for the whole time I have been keying and I have ran my stuff the same for years.

some people run 50 bird into them that would be a 1 pill. but hey look they also build 2x4 amps as well heck fatboy has a 2x4 with all 2879's in it. u stated 100 watt bird drive. im talking dead key watts. in a 5 pill configuration . the 2290 or a 1446 is tuned in the circuit to drive the 4 pill section to receive around 20 - 50 bird dead watts. with 2 2290's your drive would be around 20- 70 bird watts. its rated to be a 60 watt pill . its wrapped with 4 to 6 turns of wire so it produces less watts , say around a 40 watt dead key with one 2290. don't get fooled about how much you should drive it with or how much you can drive it with until u overdrive it and sound like caca . lol lol

scooter71nc
03-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Yes I understand that I know how an amp works I have built them myselft before. I was talking about swing not deadkey. So I will clear it up real easy I use a 2 pill with 2sc2290's in it. That is what 123 told me to use when I had him to build my 4 pill. I really don't know how people read watts but I read watts with no pep kit. I should of just been more clear and said I key 20 bird and swing 100watts bird. but to answer the question of the post A 1 pill or a 2 pill should work fine. That is what charger recommends when you buy them.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
03-27-2013, 10:06 PM
foooooooooooooooooo 10 roger . cool:300 (89):

scooter71nc
03-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Hey hv I am not trying to be a smart butt or anything but I just figured by saying 100watts bird drive you would know i didn't mean dead key but I just know what I have used for years maybe I am driving my stuff to hard but I havn't had any problems. I really don't know Idid do a test earlier today using a 1 pill fatboy that I had laying around it was swinging around 80 bird and it still did as good as the 100 bird out of the 2 pill with 2290's. I lost about 30 bird on output. the 1 pill amp has a 2879 in it. Hummmmm I don't know. I just didn't want you to think my last post was being a smart butt. I just didn't want to fuss about it if you know what I mean

High Voltage Mobile NJ
03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I no you are . your cool like that . no worries lol :loyal:

babalou51
03-12-2014, 02:30 PM
I just blew my 4 pill Fatboy drove it too much I could fix it myself but need schematic. Anyone has one where I could find one?

hammerhead
01-09-2016, 12:26 AM
the bottom line is who you talk to and who you don't

hammerhead
01-09-2016, 12:29 AM
hello is anybody out smile if you can hear me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

222FL
01-09-2016, 05:01 AM
What HV mobile is saying is that most amps only really need about 10 watts pep per transistor to get a clean 100 watts or so out. So 40-60 watts of drive should be plenty to get the wattage out. Seeing ore than 4-600 watts out of a 4 pill is just making the meter dance and creating a bunch of splatter. I can understand your reasoning for running your amps the way you do, but for everyday use I would not use anything more than a dual final radio to drive a 4 pill amp. About 40-60 watts is all I will put into my older TNT 600hd with Toshiba 2879's. Now a newer amp with say DEI transistors, I wouldn't volt last 16-18vdc, and I wouldn't run my stuff at 20vdc either. I don't want to be replacing Toshiba 2879's!! They aren't cheap and are getting very very hard to find unless you know someone with a good stash of them. Again, this applies to everyday use. You can certainly use a small driver, but you truly don't need one IMO, even with a stock single final radio you aren't going to "hurt anything". Keep the dead key at about 4-6 watts, and with just a little forward swing you can get 3-400 watts out. I use a Uniden 980 sometimes with my TNT 600hd, and this is an older one that will take some input. If you notice nowadays, they don't list the input pep wattage like before, but rather tell you not to exceed a certain amount of dead key carrier out of the amp and max
pep wattage. No mention of old
Input numbers like before, which the older TNT 600hd's with Toshiba 2879's were padded on the input and would take up to a 10 watt dead key or about 200 watts carrier if memory serves me correctly. At any rate, over driving the amp is worse than loafing it along IMO. But if you are in keydowns and competitions, then yes you rant every watt you can get. The trick is to get all that power onto one frequency you're talking on. JMHO. Keep overdriving those amps fellas, I know a couple techs that love you guys and make good money just repairing many amps that have had the hammer put to them one to many times LOL!! Again, JMHO, but a good dual final export radio or even a good single final radio will work just fine with the amp in question. Don't drive the piss out of it and expect it to last though! I at least know that my TNT 600hd is over 10yrs. Old and it still performs flawlessly! And I only hit it with 100 watts max, and saw almost 800 watts pep, but like I said, Toshiba 2879's aren't cheap and even DEI transistors are going by the wayside. So keep this in mind while you are driving the shit out of the amp as well as how much it's going to cost to repair one. Most of the time it's almost what you paid for the amp in the first place. But hey, it's your equipment, do with it as you like!!