PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Cobra 25wxnwst in a smittybilt security stereo console.

STWB
03-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I am going to be mounting my new radio into a smittybilt console for my wrangler. I am wondering if anyone else has done this already, or even if not mounted in the console if anyone might have the dimensions for the stereo slot on these consoles. I've looked around the web but can only find the general #'s on it. Also I am thinking about putting in a seperate power block in the console and running power via a heavy amp install power cable. Will this give me any issues with bottle necking & such. Sorry for so many Q's on one post but my radio will be here tomorrow and would like to be ready to install as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

Beavis
03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
A normal size aftermarket car stereo is refered to as being a single DIN size. DIN is a standard measurement for all aftermarket head units. It's the German abbv. for Deutsche Industrie Norm.. It measures 2 1/8" tall and 7 1/8" wide, the depth varies. Other common sizes are "din in an half"( 3 3/16)" and "double din"(4 1/4") the only thing that changes is the height, the width is still 7 1/8".

If the console you're putting in your Wrangler came with a slot already made into it for a stereo I would bet its a single DIN size. A cb radio like my Cobra 29 LX measures 7.25" W x 9.25" D x 2.25" H, so you would have to trim the stereo slot in the console to fit a cb radio like thus. You said you're going to be installing a Cobra 25 WXNWST, now that's a different story. A Cobra 25 WXNWST measures 6.38"W by 2.2"H by 8.62"D so if you're wanting to install this in a single DIN stereo slot then you'll have to use your imagination & fabricate a trim piece to go around the DIN slot & the inner slot of the trim plate be the size of the Cobra 25. Shouldn't be too hard. I would start by getting a "cage" that goes on car stereo & cut & fabricate it to fix around the Cobra 25 radio & secure to to the Cobra 25 radio using the screws that hold the top & bottom covers on the radio & maybe a washer to keep the screws to being pulled straight thru holes on the cage.

Sorry for the length of the post guys. I just wanted to go into good detail about my info & idea for fitment. Good luck man, Beavis417
Sent From My Davemade™ Android Phone

STWB
03-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I can come up with something. Do you think having a small marine amp and power converter mounted in the desperate main storage compartment would cause any noise issues with my radio?

Beavis
03-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I can come up with something. Do you think having a small marine amp and power converter mounted in the desperate main storage compartment would cause any noise issues with my radio?

I'm not sure what you mean by a "marine amp"? I don't think the power inverter would cause any interferance issues with the radio, but the radio setup may cause interferance issues with the power inverter, especially is you're going to be running an amp. Stray RF is a gremlin you'll be chasing until you have every thing on the radio setup, body, chassis & exhaust system grounded/bonded properly as one big unit. RF will get into thing you'd least expect, trust me because I'm speaking from experience. Getting some snap-on ferrite beads & putting them on things like stereo.wires, speaker wires & fuel injector wires help alot in keeping RF out of your electronics. You can get different size snap-on ferrite beads various radio parts websites, there's a couple listed below for you. ;)

http://www.chargercharger.com/Parts.html

http://www.rfparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=snap+ferrite

STWB
03-31-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm going to be running a marine grade audio amp that is setup to receive audio from an aux jack via your phone or other mp3 audio device. This way I can hide my amp except for a single tiny wire. No stereo in the dash to intise theives the power unit ive got in mind is the small units that only have one 110 plug but several USB and extra CIG lighter plugs.

Beavis
03-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Not running a stereo headunit is just one less thing RF can get into, but like I said before, I would still put some snap-on ferrite's on any electrical wire you can reach, especially the fuel injector wires. They are the prime suspect in a interferance radio noise problem especially if you're gonna be running an amp. You never said if you're gonna run an amp or not. If you are, I would run the power wires for the stereo amp & power inverter on opposite sides of the car from the coax cable & speaker wire to avoid any alternator noise. The stereo in my Grand Cherokee has an aux input pigtail on the back & the wire comes out right beside the drivers seat. I love it because about 4.5gb of the 32gb memory card in my phone is music I've downloaded using my phone. I never get tired of listening to the same crap. I got one of those little music bullet speakers in my xmas stocking & its on my desk in my office at work, I listen to music at work for 12 hours a day, at a respectibly low volume of course :D sorry, I tend to get long winded. :rolleyes:

STWB
03-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Yeah I was gonna a 1000 watt amp install kit to the console with both hot and ground being attached to the battery. I would then have those wires hook to a couple power distribution blocks. ( basically really fancy gold plated battery terminals.) I would the run my power accordingly to each device. The speaker wires would run out the back to my speakers. I would have a hole and grommet on drivers side console that I can run my mic and ext speaker wires thru. Basically the power converter would be used to charge cell phones and such from time to time as my CIG lighter powers my GPS/speedo. I'm going to run power from pass side as the battery is on that side and coax on drivers as that's my ant side. I have seen those ferrite before and have used them on home stereo setups. I also store like 15 gigs of music on my gone plus Pandora so I can't see shelling out for CD.