PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy ground help. Newbie here

shortstack34
04-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi all,

I have a Galaxy DX959 in my Peterbilt mounted to the mirror bracket with a 18' coax and wilson 2000. Swr's are 1 to 1.2 on channel 1 and 40, I can hear all the way out to OH from NJ and others say I sound crystal clear up until yesterday when I was talking with my co worker the S meter jumped all the way to red and he said I sounded garbled. Every time I key up now the meter jumps and the lights dim on the radio. The SWR alert does not light up. Does this sound like a bad ground?

Thanks

619 NJ
04-08-2013, 01:33 PM
it sounds like you need a tech :-/

Moonchild 747
05-06-2013, 10:42 PM
My first guess sounds like you may have pinched the coax as it enters the vehicle and created an open on the conductor wire...If you have a volt/ohm meter you can ohm out the center pin on the PL-259 and the metal 3/8 x24 connector part of the antenna, should be just a few ohms...If your meter reads just a couple ohms try to pinch or move the coax around where it enters the vehicle and see if the resistance changes...If your rig worked fine before then you need to look at what might have changed (i.e. open and closing door where coax comes through, grounding on the antenna mount). Are you running any type of Amp? If so your bias between the radio and amp could be way off and this will cause common mode current that could feed back to your radio on the shielding of the coax and fry one or both of your finals...Tell me more about your set up and lets see if we can figure something out...

Silverado 996
05-07-2013, 05:40 AM
@ 747 Sorry to interrupt, I was just reading the post.... I totally dig your signature! It's 100% true.

Moonchild 747
05-07-2013, 04:26 PM
996 de 747, saw that saying about 20 years ago when I was going through Electronic Warfare school in the Navy...It was posted up on one of our hall monitors and for some reason it has been stuck in my head along with many other crazy things the Navy has taught me for 2 decades now...haha...Thanks for digging it brother, maybe it will too get stuck in your head...haha.

Silverado 996
05-07-2013, 08:32 PM
My dad was in the Navy in the late sixties to the early seventies... Communications repair, radar and guidance systems and probably a ton of other stuff I don't know about. Thank you for your service 747...

Silverado 996 and I'm gone....