PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help

drafterruss
04-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Hi everyone. I am new to the hobby and just found a new used base unit and some other items. See My info for the list please. What else should I pick up? Zoning will not let me have a full sized antenna mast so I am making a brakect to hang my 102" whip out a second story window to clear the eves and such. Please offer any input or ideas. Thanks a lot , Russ

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-03-2013, 01:32 PM
sounds good so far . it brings back memories for me . :peace:

drafterruss
04-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Thank you. Would you suggest adding anything?

drafterruss
04-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know how many watts my 625 should be putting out?

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-03-2013, 02:31 PM
is that a Royce 625 ?

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi everyone. I am new to the hobby and just found a new used base unit and some other items. See My info for the list please. What else should I pick up? Zoning will not let me have a full sized antenna mast so I am making a brakect to hang my 102" whip out a second story window to clear the eves and such. Please offer any input or ideas. Thanks a lot , Russ use at least 18 feet of coax to the antenna. and make sure the whip is at least 2 feet away from the building , you might have to angle it away from the building to get them SWR'S down.

drafterruss
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Thank you so much. What should my swr be? It's a Royce 625 xl

BOOTY MONSTER
04-03-2013, 03:15 PM
don't worry about a particular length of coax . but you will need a ground plane for that antenna or another 102 under it in the ground side like a dipole . i'll suggest a coax choke where the coax connects to the antenna also . a vswr of 1.5 or less is perfectly fine .

this link will explain coax chokes .....

http://www.deepsouthradios.com/forum/showthread.php?414-coax-choke-info

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Thank you so much. What should my swr be? It's a Royce 625 xl u should get a 1.5 or lower . tell me how ya make out when your done. :pizza:

drafterruss
04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Will be finishing my setup this week. What's a ground plane?
High voltage thanks for the pm very helpful.
How much would an amp help?

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-03-2013, 04:55 PM
a ground plane antenna usally has radials at the middle to bottom half of the antenna. they could be vertical or horizontal radials . there are many designs of them . im sure booty monster can help you with that one. hes great at copying and pasting special technical Data and then talking in circles on what he think it does . lol lol lol anything I can help you with , please feel free to ask drafterruss . :pizza::peace:

drafterruss
04-04-2013, 12:43 PM
What brand/ kind of ground plane should I look for? Can I get one under 100$ coax and meter came in today hoping Antanna is here by the weekend so I can try my setup.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-04-2013, 10:49 PM
I would go with the maco 5/8 antenna . or an imax2000 solarcon 5/8 wave . the imax2000 is basically a plug and play antenna . the maco you have to adjust slighty until you achieve the best swr for 27mhz. it depends on your terrain of ya neighborhood. you wanna try to keep the antenna above the tree lines .

drafterruss
04-05-2013, 06:23 AM
I will check those out after work. Begin here in western pa where all we have is mountains and valleys getting above the geographical stuff is tricky but I can clear most local trees and such. It's not easy doing this on a college kids budget Lol. I am going to wait till I get the ground plane before installing my antenna, as I don't want to be on the roof twice. Is there anything else I should get before I order? Thanks again.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-05-2013, 02:24 PM
if you don't mind buying a copper rod and some ground wire to ground the antenna mast that will eliminate most of your static and improve antenna performance . :300 (187):

drafterruss
04-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Ok that sounds doable. What kind/ga wire do I need? Is it a big help?

drafterruss
04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Do I attach the wire to the mounting breacket or the antanne itself where it mounts to the coax?

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-05-2013, 09:02 PM
that is a very good ??? I usally do the very bottom of the mast of the pipe . but I would bet ya having more ground on the coax connector itself might be even greater performance also. that test I have never tried from the house. I have my coax in the mobile grounded and I swear by the performance . It may be a good or bad thing to ground the coax connector off the antenna , cause of lighting . I have had no one really talk about that one or elaborate on that one , lol lol lol . :300 (147):

drafterruss
04-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Lol. I will have to experiment and let you know. I suffered yet another setback when eBay sent me broken coax yesterday. Joy now I have to deal with that. Where is a good place onlie where I can get non broken things?

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Lol. I will have to experiment and let you know. I suffered yet another setback when eBay sent me broken coax yesterday. Joy now I have to deal with that. Where is a good place onlie where I can get non broken things? mannnnnnnn im sorry hearing about that . fucking ebay I tell yaaaaaaa. im trying to think would be the best place for you and the cheapest . I have to do some searches . everybody has there way of doing the shield on the PL-259 Connector . I do not ever solder the shield , if you apply to much heat you wind up melting right down to the center conductor . I just solder the center conductor very well. and to make sure the coax does not twist and turn I give it a little tab of black tape or a tab of epoxy at the end of the collar of the pl-259 backside so the connector will not turn in opposite directions if the coax desides to rock back and forth. some people are against not soldering and some are all for it . I have even tried it with a good 40 watter and always caused more damage . anyway its a preference thingggggggggggg . lol lol lol :300 (149):

drafterruss
04-06-2013, 07:52 PM
The kicker is the seller is a jerk and tried telling me I don't know how to use it. Thanks let me know if you find a decent Place I can deal with.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
04-06-2013, 08:06 PM
The kicker is the seller is a jerk and tried telling me I don't know how to use it. Thanks let me know if you find a decent Place I can deal with. foooooooooooo 10 roger right on bro. we will have to report that jackass , lol lol lol . give me some time , in and out of the house today . I get back to ya . :grin:

drafterruss
04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
I just gott done chewing him out and doing an eBay complete. It's ashame people can't be honest. No rush I am held up this weekend anyhow.