PDA

View Full Version : New guy in Michigan

anickode
04-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Hey all! I don't know that I'd call myself an official CB junkie yet, but I'll no doubt end up there, just as I do with every hobby I start.

I'm just working on putting together a VERY basic setup at the moment. I have an old Realistic TRC-422a radio that has been collecting dust in the basement for ages. Deciding on an antenna setup is leaving me a bit torn... I would really prefer something like a K40, but I park in my garage, so I'm leaning more towards a pair of 3 foot firestiks mounted in the front corners of my pickup bed, protruding out the sides slightly. I know it's a less-than-ideal solution, but I'm inclined to air on the side of practicality.

I'm sure I'll upgrade my radio sooner than later. I could also use some input on the subject of modifying a decent radio for more power vs running a separate amp.

Thanks in advance for any input and for your patience with yet another newbie.

the caveman
04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the board! Your antenna choose is a good idea if challenged with low objects. Using a hustler center load antenna from rightchannelradios.com is what I personally recommend. Hope this idea helps man!

drafterruss
04-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Welcome to the cb world. Sounds like your off to a good start. Keep us posted

Boozer
04-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Welcome from Iowa

Silverado 996
04-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Silverado 996 Austin, TX with a wave... Break! Break!

619 NJ
04-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Hello from NJ! Firestick is a good choice, but use one. Your performance will actually suffer with two!

anickode
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Well, I decided to ditch my ideas of garage door clearance and practicality, and smack a Wilson 1000 up on the roof... If I need to fit in someplace, I'll just take the coil off. :)