PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Long Island

Highlandchef
04-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Ok, so I'm here on CB radio forum. Never thought I would but here I am.

When "Smokey and the Bandit" came out, I put a CB in my car. Don't judge, I was high school LOL. I thought they died a long time ago but apparently they didn't.

So why am I here? A few reason:

I drive a lot for my business and there are still plenty of areas without mobile coverage in case of emergencies
I'm involved with the scouts and I think it could be useful tool for us when we're off grid
Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I've learned how vulnerable our modern communication can be.
There are certainly other (possibly better) radio options for each scenario. I may add some of those to my arsenal down the road, but getting a CB seems like a good start.

Inexpensive
Easy to use/no license
Most common of the types used. Communicating in an emergency is only works if you can find someone else at the other end
So I'm here to refresh and get some ideas.

the caveman
04-23-2013, 10:23 AM
welcome Highlandchef! cb radios are still a pretty good way to communicate. very useful when traveling or when other communications are not working. Caveman waving from Indiana!

Silverado 996
04-23-2013, 01:51 PM
A big wave and hello from Texas. Lots of good people in here, caveman one of them...