PDA

View Full Version : Tuning my Predator 10k

Fogdog
05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Having trouble tuning my new Predator 10k SW. I mounted it on the aluminum headache rack of my truck, and can only get the swr down to 1.6.1. The Firestick it replaced was at 1.3.1. I may have cut the whip a few inches to short trying to tune it yesterday. Total length is 57''.

Does the whip when tuned have to be bottomed out in the lower shaft cavity? Right now mine is above the bottom a few inches supported by the set screw. I am waiting for my new coax cable to arrive, and I haven't done any additional grounding of the rack yet. That Firestick made contacts almost every day across the country. I couldn't get out yesterday. I know the conditions haven't been very good on the west coast for a few days.

Any help would be appreciated. Here's some pictures.858859860

619 NJ
05-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Don't bottom it out. That will affect your reading. I would add some grounding to the headache rack, and honestly just wait for the coax to arrive bud. You may get a completely different reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fogdog
05-08-2013, 10:31 AM
Whew! Ok cool. I was hoping I didn't screw it up. I should have waited to get that quality coax I ordered before the install, but I was excited and wanted to get it done. Thanks for the help.

619 NJ
05-08-2013, 10:34 AM
It's all good man. I'm sorry that you are having such a bitch of a time with this. Last time I tuned a predator, I put it on the roof, hooked up the MFJ, cut an inch off of it and I was good to go. I'm thinking you may be getting some reflect off of the headache rack. I know that height is a concern for you, but I just think that if you could get the coils up a little higher it would tune easier

Fogdog
05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Yeah height is a bit of a concern around here. I have a lot of trees along my drive. Don't want to beat the antenna to much, and knock it out of whack. It might be as good as it's going to get. Still have a couple of things to try yet.

619 NJ
05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Yeah I wouldn't give up just yet :)

JesseJamesDallas
05-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Before I started cutting on the stinger, I would first get the headache rack good and grounded...and your new coax.

Just wondering...Is there no way to mount the antenna in the center of the rack? Would be better centered.

Fogdog
05-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I'd have to take it off, and drill it. If that didn't work I'd have to take it off again. It's a bit of a hassle. Of course it can be done. I didn't have to ground the rack for the Firestick, so I'm wondering why this seems to be needed now. I did ground the rack today to the frame of the truck with a set of jumper cables just to see if that would do anything , and it didn't. Not sure if it would have anyway. I want this antenna to work but honestly out of three differant antenna's , this one is at the bottom of the list. I thought I was upgrading, but so far that hasn't been the case.

If truckers use this SW antenna on their mirrors with good results I don't see why it wouldn't work on top of my pickup. I would think there is less reflecting going on , on my vehicle.

This morning I turned on the the little Midland cb with a cheap Lil Wil mag mount antenna on the Grand Am inside the garage and it was pulling in stations that my truck parked outside couldn't. That bummed me out.

I'm still waiting for that coax to arrive, but I don't have a lot of confidence that it's going to make that big of a differance. The signal that I was receiving this morning sounded just like when I had the Lil Wil on my truck, before I put the Firestick on it. The receive judt doesn't sound clear. Kinda muted. I'm not saying the Firestick is better, but it does work better so far.

619 NJ
05-08-2013, 10:01 PM
There is def something g wrong here.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 12:03 AM
use a 17 inch or a 22 inch shaft . if they don't work use the 27 inch shaft as its last advantage . :laser:

Fogdog
05-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I grounded the headache rack with 2 more ground straps to the frame, and centered it on the rack also. Still it does not work any better than 1.6- 1.7.1 swr. Not pleased. Packaged it back up ready to return.

I put the Firestick back on and I'm 1.1.1 on ch's 4-22, 1.3 on ch's 1-3, and 1.4-1.5 on ch's 23-40. I also can hear activity on it, and got my first contact in 4 days. Totally bummed, and wasted a lot of time, and money.

619 NJ
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Wow man, that sucks. :( sorry you had such a poor experience. Every vehicle is different I guess! High Voltage loves Stargun antennas, he talks everywhere with his and I couldn't get one to tune on my Caddy for shit! I know the frustration :(

Fogdog
05-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Yeah it is a bummer. Maybe something did get damaged while in transit through the USPS. I don't know. I'm sure it's going to be a hassle to return it.

After reading so many posts about these antenna's I was sold. Fact is the antenna that nobody likes, seems to work good on my truck. Go fiqure. The reason I was going to the 10 k was that I was thinking I was going to burn up the Firestick. Thats not going to happen with less than 300 watts. Anyway the stick is back on working perfectly, and I'm not messing with antenna's for awhile. I've got my Ham exam next week. so I need to be studying instead of fooling around with antenna's.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Yeah it is a bummer. Maybe something did get damaged while in transit through the USPS. I don't know. I'm sure it's going to be a hassle to return it.

After reading so many posts about these antenna's I was sold. Fact is the antenna that nobody likes, seems to work good on my truck. Go fiqure. The reason I was going to the 10 k was that I was thinking I was going to burn up the Firestick. Thats not going to happen with less than 300 watts. Anyway the stick is back on working perfectly, and I'm not messing with antenna's for awhile. I've got my Ham exam next week. so I need to be studying instead of fooling around with antenna's. did you read what I posted ? im trying to help you out . get a different shaft . :crazy:

619 NJ
05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
I hear ya. I hate when gear doesn't work right. I had trouble with an amp a few years ago. I got so frustrated that I took all my stuff out of the car and started from scratch after a month or so of no radio. Lol

619 NJ
05-09-2013, 01:01 PM
HV- height is a concern for him, he didn't want to use a bigger shaft. Personally, I like the 22. Seems to tune super easy for me

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 01:06 PM
its not gonna make a difference . when your bottom shaft becomes longer , the whip on top will become shorter . pickup trucks are hard sometimes . our friend the mechanic had to use at least a 17 inch shaft to achieve a 1.2 mounted in the middle of the truck . hes mounted on the side so, first I would try different shaft sizes . 22 might be the best on a predator . the antenna with still be lower with a 17 or a 22 . :sleeping:

BOOTY MONSTER
05-09-2013, 01:15 PM
use a 17 inch or a 22 inch shaft . if they don't work use the 27 inch shaft as its last advantage . :laser:

you need to have a good strong mount with the longer shafts and dual coils ..... it's a substantial leverage increase .

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 01:20 PM
you need to have a good strong mount with the longer shafts and dual coils ..... it's a substantial leverage increase . absolutely , right on bro . :kiss:

Fogdog
05-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I had this antenna for one trip into town, and when I went to tune it again this morning it was loose. I tightened it down and all it was doing was pulling the insulator out of the so-239 mount I bought. I can only imagine how many times a week I would have to check that. I'm always scrapping tree limbs. Not hard , but I see and hear my antenna doing it. I just don't think this 10k or any other combination of one will work. I'd rather have a long stinger than a solid part hitting the limbs. I thought that was the whole reason they made the Short Whip Dual coil. For clearance issue's.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I had this antenna for one trip into town, and when I went to tune it again this morning it was loose. I tightened it down and all it was doing was pulling the insulator out of the so-239 mount I bought. I can only imagine how many times a week I would have to check that. I'm always scrapping tree limbs. Not hard , but I see and hear my antenna doing it. I just don't think this 10k or any other combination of one will work. I'd rather have a long stinger than a solid part hitting the limbs. I thought that was the whole reason they made the Short Whip Dual coil. For clearance issue's. your still not reading my post fogdog .

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 02:25 PM
so what are the swr's now ? did you try different shafts yet ?

Fogdog
05-09-2013, 04:42 PM
I would have to order a different shaft. I took the 10k off the truck. I read youe posts. Thank you for trying to help. I am listening, but I don't think I want a longer solid antenna. Even putting a 17'' shaft on would increase the soloid portion of the 10 k 8'' over what I have now. The whip will be shorter yes, But the solid section could make contact with a branch. I have a spring on the Firestick ,so when this happens it's no big deal.

The Predator 10k SW I was trying to tune was at it's best lower in overall length. I also wasnn't impressed at all with the POS mount that they recommened. Just the vibration from the truck made it loosen up, and then when I tried to tighten it down it was just pulling itself apart.

I'm no rookie when it comes to mechanical stuff. I made my living turning wrenches for 35 years. I know how to properly mound/install an antenna. Or for that matter anything else. I must have bought the wrong one for this truck. I called Kale himself and he said it should tune at around 5 feet. Thats about where I was at. It just isn't good enough to run a amp with. I wish I could run a longer antenna, but I don't want to take a chance finding it on the road after contact with a tree branch. The mount would have to be waaay better also.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 05:28 PM
I would have to order a different shaft. I took the 10k off the truck. I read youe posts. Thank you for trying to help. I am listening, but I don't think I want a longer solid antenna. Even putting a 17'' shaft on would increase the soloid portion of the 10 k 8'' over what I have now. The whip will be shorter yes, But the solid section could make contact with a branch. I have a spring on the Firestick ,so when this happens it's no big deal.

The Predator 10k SW I was trying to tune was at it's best lower in overall length. I also wasnn't impressed at all with the POS mount that they recommened. Just the vibration from the truck made it loosen up, and then when I tried to tighten it down it was just pulling itself apart.

I'm no rookie when it comes to mechanical stuff. I made my living turning wrenches for 35 years. I know how to properly mound/install an antenna. Or for that matter anything else. I must have bought the wrong one for this truck. I called Kale himself and he said it should tune at around 5 feet. Thats about where I was at. It just isn't good enough to run a amp with. I wish I could run a longer antenna, but I don't want to take a chance finding it on the road after contact with a tree branch. The mount would have to be waaay better also.with your double coil antenna your tune should be a lot lower than 5 feet with a 17 inch shaft . don't make me take a road trip by you and get ya talking real good . lol :tennis:

Fogdog
05-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Ha Ha High Voltage Mobile NJ,

Yeah maybe you could come over to the Left Coast and give a Mudduck a hand. I really do appreiciate what you and others have tried to fiqure out. I've got it packaged up right now, but I really want to run the dang thing. When I got it tuned to 1.6-1.7 It was at about 57'' I think. Just under 5 ft.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Ha Ha High Voltage Mobile NJ,

Yeah maybe you could come over to the Left Coast and give a Mudduck a hand. I really do appreiciate what you and others have tried to fiqure out. I've got it packaged up right now, but I really want to run the dang thing. When I got it tuned to 1.6-1.7 It was at about 57'' I think. Just under 5 ft. hmmmmmmmmmm wowwwwww your on the west coast , dammmmmmm that's far . lol lol lol :tennis: well you could try a noisemaker egg beater antenna . there about a foot shorter than mr coily's.

Silverado 996
05-09-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm on my second FS-5 from FireStick. I want to try another antenna before I purchase my second FireStik. The more I thought about it the more I told myself... If it ain't broke, don't fix it. They've been really good to me so far, they both tunned to 1.1/1.2 ( 1 thru 40 )

JesseJamesDallas
05-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Try this...If you have the 12" lower shaft, get you one of those barrel springs like they use with 102" whips and stick on it...It's still going to end up about the same over-all height after it's tuned, but you will be getting the coil section higher over the roof line, plus you'll have the advantage of the spring in-case you do plow into a low hanging limb.

On my Toyota Tacoma I have a single coil 10K mounted on a riser which is mounted right behind the rear window in the center of the truck. The riser puts the antenna mount even with the roof line.

I also tried using a 12" shaft but never could get it to tune lower than 1.3 to 1.4 SWR...Changed out to the 17" shaft and now it's tuned on my MFJ at 1.0 to 1.1 on channels 1-36, and 1.1 the rest of the channels to 40...

By adding the spring I'll bet you'll see a better SWR reading...Only thing you'll have to check is how the antenna acts at highway speeds with the spring. I know a single coil 10K on the 12" shaft will work with a spring, but not sure about the dual coil...worth a try tho if a 17" shaft is too long.

JesseJamesDallas
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
One other thing...I would recommend getting a better mount if your having problems with the one you have coming apart...These are what I use, they are solid brass ball mounts made by Hank Breedloves Machine Shop. They have a web site, just Google "Hank Breedloves machine shop".

These things will handle "ANY" antenna, and last you a lifetime.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-09-2013, 10:42 PM
jesse james dallas is in the houseeeeeeeeeeeeee . hello to ya . :saturn:

Fogdog
05-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Really! I've cooled down a bit, so tomorrow I will put it back on with a new plan. I got my cable in the mail today,so I will try that. I'm probably going to order a 17'' shaft. the one I have now is 9''. The spring is a good idea.

Fogdog
05-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I put the Predator 10k SW back on this morning. I have a solid mount for it, and ran the new coax. I have it mounted on the center of the rack, and the rack is grounded in 6 spots. 4 to the bed, and 2 to the frame. The best SWR I can achive with just the radio and no amp is 1.6-1.8. The receive seems ok, the Wx station comes in real clear, and all the radio self checks are good. One thing that is new is that I used to get an antenna warning on the radio about 50% of the time. Now I don't get it, but wait. After I put the amp inline I get the antenna warning every time I key up. I did get a local to say I sounded good though.

I'm not sure what the swr is with the amp. How to I test that with my meter? When I turn the amp off,and try to use the radio I get high swr reading on the radio's meter.

If you have the amp inline must you always have the amp on? Jeez a lot of questions I know, but I reckon I'm up against it right now. The amp didn't even get warm, so I don't think my amp is taking a beating or anything.

I have decided to just order a 17'' shaft to replace the 9'' one I have now. Maybe that will help some. I'm sticking with this rig until I get it worked out. Gonna need some help though. So bare with me.

Silverado 996
05-10-2013, 01:14 PM
I also get the antenna warning in my 29LXLE every time I key up with my amp on. All of the locals and DX say that it sound loud an clear. I've swapped amps and it still flashes the warning. Nothing seems to be damaged.

Fogdog
05-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah thats cool. I think Cobra knows they have a problem there. I'm not so much worried about that annoying warning, but with High SWR'S not sure. Really though the amp seems ok. Maybe I'm just worrying to darn much. Everything always has to be perfect when I do something. I've got a call in to Kale the guy that builds these 10k's, so maybe he will shed some light on the subject for me. Until then I'm gonna shoot some skip Man, and wait for the smoke. :-)>

619 NJ
05-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Good luck bro :) I'm sure this will all get ironed out eventually. I know some of the older Galaxy 959s had an issue with the swr warning light being too sensitive, but they issued a fix for it. Not sure about the cobra though. Might not be a bad idea for one of you guys to put a call in.

619 the Chef choppin' lips and deep-frying Mud Ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Silverado 996
05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Yeah thats cool. I think Cobra knows they have a problem there. I'm not so much worried about that annoying warning, but with High SWR'S not sure. Really though the amp seems ok. Maybe I'm just worrying to darn much. Everything always has to be perfect when I do something. I've got a call in to Kale the guy that builds these 10k's, so maybe he will shed some light on the subject for me. Until then I'm gonna shoot some skip Man, and wait for the smoke. :-)>

Lol! Hammer down buddy! Sorry I have never owned a preadtor antenna, so I can't help with that. I just run FireStik... They tune easy and have low Swr. I'll have my ears open for you on DX.

Fogdog
05-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks Man, yeah Cobra should fix it. I've seen many rants about it on the web. Well I'm gonna go hook the amp back up and see if anythings kickin out there, then I'm off to do the yardwork. Enjoy your weekand , and don't forget Mom.

Silverado 996
05-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks Man, yeah Cobra should fix it. I've seen many rants about it on the web. Well I'm gonna go hook the amp back up and see if anythings kickin out there, then I'm off to do the yardwork. Enjoy your weekand , and don't forget Mom.

10-4, you do the same! Have a good one!

Fogdog
05-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Lol! Hammer down buddy! Sorry I have never owned a preadtor antenna, so I can't help with that. I just run FireStik... They tune easy and have low Swr. I'll have my ears open for you on DX.

I've run the Firestick brand since 1987 myself. The newest one I bought is the 3' FS II. It tunes pretty low, and is supposed to handle 650 watts. It works good on the 29. Since I've been getting into Cb a bit more lately, I got to reading about these Predator's and had to give it a try. I sure hope I can get it dialed in soon. It's working, but I know it has a lot more to offer.

JesseJamesDallas
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Short answer is "No" on the Amp question...NO you don't have to have the Amp turned ON all the time, the radio will work just fine whether the amp is ON or Not.

As for the Cobra's ant. warning light go's, sometimes those lights are set too sensitive and will do that, you can check on CB Tricks.com's Forum section for Cobra radios and find out how to adjust the light...I did know what to adjust, but forgot now and too tired to look it up!:300 (156):

However, before doing any adjustments, I would first wait till I got my SWR set below 1.5, which the antenna should tune around 1.1 to 1.2 with the 17" shaft. (assuming you have good grounds)

By the way...it sounds like your on the right track, by moving the antenna to the middle of the rack and adding some ground straps...I think once you get the 17" shaft you'll see a big improvement.

Fogdog
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Short answer is "No" on the Amp question...NO you don't have to have the Amp turned ON all the time, the radio will work just fine whether the amp is ON or Not.

As for the Cobra's ant. warning light go's, sometimes those lights are set too sensitive and will do that, you can check on CB Tricks.com's Forum section for Cobra radios and find out how to adjust the light...I did know what to adjust, but forgot now and too tired to look it up!:300 (156):

However, before doing any adjustments, I would first wait till I got my SWR set below 1.5, which the antenna should tune around 1.1 to 1.2 with the 17" shaft. (assuming you have good grounds)

By the way...it sounds like your on the right track, by moving the antenna to the middle of the rack and adding some ground straps...I think once you get the 17" shaft you'll see a big improvement.

10-4 JJD, I'm trying. The 2 extra grond wires I used are pretty small, I will get some heavy duty stuff soon. I'm waiting on Kale to call me and give me the 411 on shaft size. I'll probably get the 17''. Just waiting on him. I did get the antenna mounted good and tight though, so thats cool.

JesseJamesDallas
05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
10-4 JJD, I'm trying. The 2 extra grond wires I used are pretty small, I will get some heavy duty stuff soon. I'm waiting on Kale to call me and give me the 411 on shaft size. I'll probably get the 17''. Just waiting on him. I did get the antenna mounted good and tight though, so thats cool.
Ground straps don't have to be "Heavy Duty" although 1/2" to 1" flat ground braid would be best, I have used old coax ground braid before and it works just fine...Just take some old coax, strip off the outer plastic jacket, then pull out the center conductor wire and it's jacket...That will leave you with just the ground braid...Flatten it out, and "wa-la!" Ground strap!

Just try and keep ground runs as short as possible. Way I usually do it, is once I get my ground braid cut to length, I take my propane torch and heat the ends and stick some solder on...Then using self-tapping screws attach the ground braid to where ever I need it...Just be sure to clean off any paint, dirt, or rust first so you get a good connection.

Silverado 996
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
I've run the Firestick brand since 1987 myself. The newest one I bought is the 3' FS II. It tunes pretty low, and is supposed to handle 650 watts. It works good on the 29. Since I've been getting into Cb a bit more lately, I got to reading about these Predator's and had to give it a try. I sure hope I can get it dialed in soon. It's working, but I know it has a lot more to offer.

I've been running the FS-5's rated for 1,000 watts, I figured I wouldn't burn it up since I'm only running a 2 pill. I would run a predator if they had a 30" shaft. No doubt it they are good antenna's.The hobby of CB's to me is like hot rods. You always on the hunt for the prefect setup... Cams, heads and fuel delivery setups. After a while you end up having a pair of heads and a couple of cam shafts collecting dust where in the shop. Haha! Once you get your SwR's down I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Fogdog
05-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I've been running the FS-5's rated for 1,000 watts, I figured I wouldn't burn it up since I'm only running a 2 pill. I would run a predator if they had a 30" shaft. No doubt it they are good antenna's.The hobby of CB's to me is like hot rods. You always on the hunt for the prefect setup... Cams, heads and fuel delivery setups. After a while you end up having a pair of heads and a couple of cam shafts collecting dust where in the shop. Haha! Once you get your SwR's down I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Ha Ha, Yes you right my Brother. If you get into Radio's your gonna end up with a bunch of stuff. My work bench looks like an electronics shop now. I just slid all my truck stuff, and re-loading stuff over to one side. Looks like a mad scientists lab now, what with the meters ,radios,antenna's and parts, wires, a computer,solder gun,tools and whatnot. Jeez!

619 NJ
05-11-2013, 11:17 AM
That's what happens!

619 the Chef choppin' lips and deep-frying Mud Ducks in the Yellin' Yukon and I'm gone...

Fogdog
05-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Kale from Cowtown Antenna's called me today and is sending me out a longer shaft. He also said that sometimes the sprayed in bed liners like I have can screw up the SWR's. We talked about grounding also. The rack is grounded, but I'm going to find some good flat strap braided stuff from the local Battery place hopefully, and do what JJD says he's done. It can't hurt.

Kale suggested grounds from the rack to the bed, and the bed to the frame. Thats pretty much what I have. Could be better though. Gotta spend some time with Mama this weekend, buut come Monday I'm all over it.

Silverado 996
05-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Lol! I have my on room for reloading stuff, thats another of my hobbies.

619 NJ
05-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Kale from Cowtown Antenna's called me today and is sending me out a longer shaft. He also said that sometimes the sprayed in bed liners like I have can screw up the SWR's. We talked about grounding also. The rack is grounded, but I'm going to find some good flat strap braided stuff from the local Battery place hopefully, and do what JJD says he's done. It can't hurt.

Kale suggested grounds from the rack to the bed, and the bed to the frame. Thats pretty much what I have. Could be better though. Gotta spend some time with Mama this weekend, buut come Monday I'm all over it.

That's awesome :) I'm glad you are narrowing it down. I think once this annoying mess is out of the way, you'll really like the predator.

Silverado 996
05-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Man that's great! Keep us posted.

JesseJamesDallas
05-11-2013, 12:21 PM
You can contact Kale and have a 30" shaft custom built...He has made shafts up to 48" for people...He won't warranty them tho because the longer the shaft, the easier it is to whack something which will snap the shaft at the base.

Fogdog
05-12-2013, 06:44 PM
I called a battery shop yesterday, and he said he has a roll of that one inch tinned braided ground strap material. It's $6.00 Freaking dollars a foot. Jeez! I know I need at least a foot of it for the rack to the bed. From the bed to the frame, if I go with both sides it will be approx 8 feet. $54.00 plus tax. Wow! I don't think so. I'm cheap I guess, but thats just wrong. I seen some stuff on line that was suggested to me by a CB Junkie that was the same stuff but they also had soldered terminals on them. Nice, and they were 3 ft long for 8 bucks, plus shipping.

Not sure what I'm going to do about that. If the extra lenth of the antenna doesn't work, I guess I will have to buy some.

Silverado 996
05-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Go to Home Depot and get 2/0 cable. That's the same cable I use for my 350 amp work leads ( ground ) on my welders. It's heavy duty and cheaper. They may also have the terminal fittings you need.

Fogdog
05-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Cool. Although there is no home depot within 100 miles of here, but maybe a hardware store. Thanks, Ill give it a try.

JesseJamesDallas
05-12-2013, 10:26 PM
This is the stuff I use, and it works just fine...It will come tubular shaped, but all you have to do is flatten the stuff out and either crimp some ends on it or stick some solder on the ends (or both) then use self tapping screws to attach it...

I'm telling you don't waist allot of cash on this stuff, and use "FLAT NOT ROUND" strap for RF Grounding. The round stuff is for electrical grounding, like power wires and such...What your wanting to do is ground out un-wanted radio waves...Get the flat stuff.

Here's the stuff I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belden-tinned-copper-tubular-braid-ground-strap-5-16-X-20-/130900892434?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item1e7a4d1b12

Fogdog
05-13-2013, 08:17 AM
JJD, thanks. Yeah that is way cheaper. That 12' would do the whole truck. Much appreciated.

Silverado 996
05-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Have an update, how is the antenna tune going? Welcome to the weekend Fogdog.

BOOTY MONSTER
05-17-2013, 06:09 PM
why do folks think ground straps need to be flat ?
and why do they think they should be made of finely braided copper wires rather than just stranded copper wire ? or copper strips ?

http://www.iceradioproducts.com/35.html

" (http://www.iceradioproducts.com/35.html) ...... Don't be misled by the various claims of "perfect types" of conductors. There's barely a measureable difference between solid, heavy stranded, strap, coated, bare, etc. The most important element is still length, but it's also a good idea to NOT use bare braided conductors, such as recirculated coaxial cable shield. The reason for this is that when exposed to air these collections of woven tiny conductors oxidize and the electrical contact between adjacent conductors is compromised. To large fast rising currents and RF signals the entire woven assembly appears to be a large number of tiny parallel conductors, and some of the package grounding effect is lost. Best bet - covered stranded wire such as THW or THHN, or even soft welding cable. They offer good flexible workability and they maintain long term conductivity. Solid strap is also a good choice but somewhat more difficult to obtain and work with.Just remember: Don't use much of whatever you choose! ...... "

Silverado 996
05-17-2013, 06:19 PM
I've used #12 solid copper wire without any problems. It may not be the best to use, but it worked for me.

JesseJamesDallas
05-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I've always used recycled coax braid, and can't think of one time it ever oxidized or failed on mobile set-ups... I wouldn't use it to ground a base antenna for lightning protection tho. Guess it depends on how you attach it to where your grounding if it fails or not...maybe since I always put solder on the ends, then run a self tapping screw threw the solder, maybe that's why I don't see oxidation....Little paint on afterwords wouldn't hurt either.

JesseJamesDallas
05-17-2013, 09:24 PM
So....."FogDog" get'er fixed, or still pulling hair?

the caveman
05-17-2013, 09:32 PM
FogDog them large coil antennas can be a hassle. I got tired of my monkey made and put a fiberglass back on. I agree with 996 on the firestiks. Easy tune by a twist of the tip.

Fogdog
05-19-2013, 09:57 AM
I agree also. I never had a problem with the stick. I was hoping this new antenna would blow away the Firestick. So far this is not the case. I've been waiting now for almost two for the longer shaft to arrive. I've grounded and bonded the truck, and it ain't no better. I'm getting pretty tired of this BS. Iknow antenna's for the most part not plug and play, but JEEZ!

Silverado 996
05-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I agree also. I never had a problem with the stick. I was hoping this new antenna would blow away the Firestick. So far this is not the case. I've been waiting now for almost two for the longer shaft to arrive. I've grounded and bonded the truck, and it ain't no better. I'm getting pretty tired of this BS. Iknow antenna's for the most part not plug and play, but JEEZ!

That sucks your having a hard time tuning the 10k. I cant tell you how long I spent online readying antenna 2 years ago when I was looking to purchase my first antenna in 20 years. The location it was going to be install played a big roll in what / brand I was going run. Since the FireStik was being compared to the old skip shooter antennas, I purchase a the 5' FS-5. I was able to shoot skip running barefoot and was blown away with the antenna, so much so I purchased another one because my dad wanted one after he heard how my FS-5 was thumping the sky barefoot. I installed a 2 pill in my truck and did radio check and hit a station Ontario Canada. At that point I said there's point in using another antenna, and never changed it. My SwR's are 1.3 on 40 / 1.1 on the rest. I have buddies with base stations that don't and can't get them that low.

Keep trying... Don't give up, but when in doubt... FireStik it!

JesseJamesDallas
05-19-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't know why you guys have such trouble tuning Big Coiled antenna's...Last week I bought a Monkey Made "Big John" antenna to put on my Toyota Tacoma and had it tuned in less than 30 minutes... On this truck I have done very little RF Grounding...About all I did was run a ground strap off the bottom mounting screw of my riser where the antenna is mounted, to the frame and that was it! I have a 2x4 Davemade in the toolbox +1 battery, and just a stock alternator and this set-up works just fine....Seeing around 700w's out of the DM 2x4 and my Galaxy 919...

Check out my tuning results on my MFJ what the Monkey Made "Big John" tuned at...And it is a short 12" shaft open-coiled antenna......

http://imageshack.us/a/img7/3383/mk5j.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img819/5738/mk4gh.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img837/9994/mk2h.jpg
I'm pretty sure "It don't get no better!"

Here it is next to my 55.(The MM Big John is on the left, the 55 on the right) http://imageshack.us/a/img838/2959/mk3s.jpg

JesseJamesDallas
05-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Here's a few pics of the Monkey Made Big John mounted on my Tacoma...The Big John tuned at 83 1/2 inch's, the 55 tuned at 79"....

http://imageshack.us/a/img853/1828/mk7a.jpg
The Tacoma...http://imageshack.us/a/img585/9868/mk6o.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img713/5283/mk1r.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img547/1554/34431135.jpg
Now just need a little "DX" and I'll be a happy camper!

Silverado 996
05-19-2013, 03:05 PM
Looks good Jesse! Thats one big ass antenna you have there!

JesseJamesDallas
05-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I've never been a big fan of Monkey Made antenna's, mainly because of their weight, and the way the coil's are designed they catch more wind than something like a Predator... And at first I really didn't like these giant coiled type antenna's either, but after a while they just seem to grow on ya!

I liked the 55, which is what i've been running on the Tacoma now for a couple years and it does real good, so no complaints on my end as for as the 55's go...But when I seen a pic of this MM Big John I just had to have it, if for no other reason, I just liked the looks of the thing!

Then once it tuned as good as it did, that was just a bonus!:300 (97):

Heck right out of the box just sticking the stinger in, it had a SWR of 1.5, but I knew it would do better than that, so after whacking off a few inch's of stinger it was tuning perfect on the MFJ, and on my watt meter even with the Amp turned ON, the needle doesn't even move...

Thing looks like you have it hooked up to a dummy load on a meter, but start talking on it and when you hear everyone come back to ya saying your Kicking the cat, sounding loud and proud, then you know it's doing it's deal!:peace:

Price was right too...$69.95+ S&H which to Texas was $17 UPS, so it runs about the same price as Predator's, but cheaper than a 55 which was $80, and you have to supply your own stinger...These come with the stinger.

Fogdog
05-19-2013, 10:31 PM
I don't know why you guys have such trouble tuning Big Coiled antenna's...Last week I bought a Monkey Made "Big John" antenna to put on my Toyota Tacoma and had it tuned in less than 30 minutes... On this truck I have done very little RF Grounding...About all I did was run a ground strap off the bottom mounting screw of my riser where the antenna is mounted, to the frame and that was it! I have a 2x4 Davemade in the toolbox +1 battery, and just a stock alternator and this set-up works just fine....Seeing around 700w's out of the DM 2x4 and my Galaxy 919...

Check out my tuning results on my MFJ what the Monkey Made "Big John" tuned at...And it is a short 12" shaft open-coiled antenna......

http://imageshack.us/a/img7/3383/mk5j.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img819/5738/mk4gh.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img837/9994/mk2h.jpg
I'm pretty sure "It don't get no better!"

Here it is next to my 55.(The MM Big John is on the left, the 55 on the right) http://imageshack.us/a/img838/2959/mk3s.jpg

Don't know why I'm having trouble either. But it ain't cutting it. I'm not going to run something that doesn't work just because everybody says it's a great antenna. Honestly the POS Firestick that I have blows this thing away. I shouldn't have to spend two weeks of BS to get this thing to tune, when it only takes me two minutes to tune the Fiestick and start making contacts. The firestick runs 1.3.1, the 10k 1.7.1 to 1.8.1, and thats it. I'm not running one more ground strap on my truck. I will give the longer shaft a try, and if that doesn't work, all's I can say is I tried.

Silverado 996
05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Any better luck? Is it still being a pain in the a$$?

Fogdog
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
^^^^^ so far. I just got the longer shaft in the mail yesterday, so sometime today if it stops raining all give it a try. I have the old faithfull Firestick on now. Looks I will be putting a Ham radio antenna on the rig soon also. I passed my Ham Tech exam on Saturday. I have a portable radio (habd held) that works on 2 meters, and 70cm. Thats going to be fun also. The portable does all kinds of stuff and around here the 2 meter band is real active. I will be able to talk pretty much anytime I want to with it.

I still hope this 10k tunes up. I do love my 29.

Silverado 996
05-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Right on! Tallman tested this weekend also...passed is a Hammy now too.

P.S thank you for your military services!

619 NJ
05-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Congrats bro!

Fogdog
05-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Right on! Tallman tested this weekend also...passed is a Hammy now too.

P.S thank you for your military services!

It was my pleasure to serve. Hey thats great that Tallman passed the exam. Just another hobby to spend your hard earned money on. Ha Ha.

Fogdog
05-21-2013, 07:15 PM
I got that 12'' shaft on the Predator 10k and the SWR is better but still not were I know it could be. I was at 1.7.1- 1.8.1 with the 9'' shaft. With the 12'' shaft I'm down to 1.6.1 - to maybe 1.7.1. I'm going to leave it on and see how it works. I guess the 17'' shaft would probably do it.

I talked to a guy today that was ten miles away from me, and he said I was coming in loud and clear. I was running 24o watts, so I guess I was. He was faint but readable. So I know it gets out there. He also said he's been hearing DX'ing so thats cool. The weather station is coming in real clear, so maybe I'm working up to a good low SWR. I was most concerned about feeding high SWR to my little 2 pill rig. It doesn't seem to mind what I feed it. It's a tough little guy.

619 NJ
05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Those little boxes can take some shit actually. I ran one in my old work truck years ago with a cobra 29 stealth and it got out quite a bit surprisingly

Fogdog
05-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Cool, Thats good to know. I mean it ain't fancy, but it seems to work pretty darn good. My first amp. So I'm glad I got one that doesn't need swr's down to 1.3.1. Someday I'd like to get a bigger one, and one with a remote.

619 NJ
05-22-2013, 12:00 AM
From there you get a class C 1x4. That's pretty fine for most anything. You generally don't ever NEED more than that. But WANT is a different story...

Fogdog
05-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Ha Ha , Yeah I here ya Bro. it's a sickness man, but a good one.

Fogdog
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
Made my first good DX today to tne Bayou's. clear and clean. After over two weeks of no long distance dx with the new 10k, it finally came around. The locals say I sound reaaaaal good and loud. Course I did have the box turnned up. They said what are you running a galaxy or something. Guess they never heard a 29 dropping the Maul. Ha Ha. Not a very big one, but it is a Maul. Hope to get a 17'' shaft, so I will get that dog gone swr down to at least a 1.5.1. Anyway it was good to finally get out some today.

619 NJ
05-22-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm glad to see things are working better for you. I have to say that I am nervous about setting up a bounce back system on the Yukon because I don't want to spend 3 weeks tuning it!

Silverado 996
05-22-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm glad to see things are working better for you. I have to say that I am nervous about setting up a bounce back system on the Yukon because I don't want to spend 3 weeks tuning it!

What's the advantages of running a bounce back system... Sorry, this redneck only knows about single and co-phase
antenner setups..... Lol!

Silverado 996
05-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Made my first good DX today to tne Bayou's. clear and clean. After over two weeks of no long distance dx with the new 10k, it finally came around. The locals say I sound reaaaaal good and loud. Course I did have the box turnned up. They said what are you running a galaxy or something. Guess they never heard a 29 dropping the Maul. Ha Ha. Not a very big one, but it is a Maul. Hope to get a 17'' shaft, so I will get that dog gone swr down to at least a 1.5.1. Anyway it was good to finally get out some today.

Fantastic!!! About time brother! Lol! Glad to hear its coming together for you.

JesseJamesDallas
05-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Bounce-Back set-up makes you more directional towards the front of the vehicle, which for "shoot-out's" is a good deal since it concentrates all your signal forwards... But IMO it's NOT a good set-up for driving around town because people to the sides and behind you are not going to be able to hear you as well as if you just had one antenna in the middle of the roof...My Suburban is set-up with a Bounce-Back, but I rarely use it that way. Most of the time I just use one antenna on the back, but have a second mount in the middle with the coax already hooked up for a bounce-back, so if I want to use that set-up all I have to do is disconnect the coax from the back antenna, hook-up the front coax, and ground-out the back mount and stick up the antenna's which I already have tuned for that set-up. (so I have 3 different antenna's for the Suburban, it just depends on which set up I'm using as to which antenna (or antenna's) are on...

It does take a little more time to tune a bounce-back set-up, and I wouldn't recommend wasting your time trying unless you can get ONE antenna to tune right first!:biggrin1:

619 NJ
05-22-2013, 06:55 PM
I'm def not worried about tuning one antenna that's for sure. Never have had a problem tuning a predator. As far as the bounce back, I've got a buddy with an Mfj, a field strength meter and a lot of know how.

JesseJamesDallas
05-22-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm def not worried about tuning one antenna that's for sure. Never have had a problem tuning a predator. As far as the bounce back, I've got a buddy with an Mfj, a field strength meter and a lot of know how.

Those are two things that you really need to set it up...A MFJ and a field strength meter... a bottle of Aspirin comes in handy to for the headaches...:300 (210):

619 NJ
05-22-2013, 07:29 PM
I cook for a living. I never leave home without Advil ;)

Silverado 996
05-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Bounce-Back set-up makes you more directional towards the front of the vehicle, which for "shoot-out's" is a good deal since it concentrates all your signal forwards... But IMO it's NOT a good set-up for driving around town because people to the sides and behind you are not going to be able to hear you as well as if you just had one antenna in the middle of the roof...My Suburban is set-up with a Bounce-Back, but I rarely use it that way. Most of the time I just use one antenna on the back, but have a second mount in the middle with the coax already hooked up for a bounce-back, so if I want to use that set-up all I have to do is disconnect the coax from the back antenna, hook-up the front coax, and ground-out the back mount and stick up the antenna's which I already have tuned for that set-up. (so I have 3 different antenna's for the Suburban, it just depends on which set up I'm using as to which antenna (or antenna's) are on...

It does take a little more time to tune a bounce-back set-up, and I wouldn't recommend wasting your time trying unless you can get ONE antenna to tune right first!:biggrin1:

I'll take one nicely tuned antenna and a 2 pill to go please. Lol!

619 NJ
05-22-2013, 07:57 PM
I need at least a 5.

Silverado 996
05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I need at least a 5.

Haha!

5 antennas and 5 pills? 1 pill per antenna? Lol! Too much $$ for me, but sounds good. Do you get good audio with a bounce back rig, or is it a competition thing??

JesseJamesDallas
05-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Haha!

5 antennas and 5 pills? 1 pill per antenna? Lol! Too much $$ for me, but sounds good. Do you get good audio with a bounce back rig, or is it a competition thing??
Mostly a competition thing...Your not going to receive any better with one. But your audio out will be louder to people in front of you...And the people rest of the way around you probably won't hear anything...So think of a Bounce-back set-up as a set of headlights. Everything in front of you get's lit-up like daylight, and nothing but darkness everywhere else...

Silverado 996
05-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Mostly a competition thing...Your not going to receive any better with one. But your audio out will be louder to people in front of you...And the people rest of the way around you probably won't hear anything...So think of a Bounce-back set-up as a set of headlights. Everything in front of you get's lit-up like daylight, and nothing but darkness everywhere else...

That was a perfect way to explane it. So, keydown rigs with multiple antennas and 100k of power setup like that..bounce back, because they want everything they've for got going forward to beat the other cat they going up against...makes perfect since.

619 NJ
05-27-2013, 06:25 PM
So I did my antenna on the Yukon today, and I have to say, I put the whip in the antenna about an inch from the top just to start, and threw it on the roof. It was 1.1 on ch 1 and 1.2 on ch 40!!! That's using the Galaxy SWR meter. I'm going to get it on a Palstar or MFJ but damn! First shot! I'm using a Predator Bad to the Bone with a 22inch shaft.

Silverado 996
05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Congrats 619! When are you gonna start cooking up them ducks?? Quack! Quack!

619 NJ
05-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Hehehe soon enough Silverado. Soon enough. By this time next year ill have a 370 amp DC power alternator and a 16 pill in here. :)

JesseJamesDallas
05-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Hehehe soon enough Silverado. Soon enough. By this time next year ill have a 370 amp DC power alternator and a 16 pill in here. :)

Or you can do like I did and stick 3-300amp alternators under the hood, and have room to run a 32 pill once you out-grow the 16 pill!
http://imageshack.us/a/img11/3541/14115538.jpg

619 NJ
05-28-2013, 07:09 AM
That's a sick set up! Looks awesome! And I'm sure it talks wherever the fuck it wants.

JesseJamesDallas
05-28-2013, 09:23 PM
That's a sick set up! Looks awesome! And I'm sure it talks wherever the fuck it wants.

As long as I can here them...I can get back...no problem. Just running a 16 pill DM, but I set-it up for a 32 pill...not that I will ever get one, plenty satisfied with the 16 for now.

Silverado 996
05-29-2013, 06:39 AM
I have a question for you Jesse. Yesterday afternoon you were talking to 711 in Virginia. I heard him loud and clear, but I never heard you talking to him. Why is that? I can hear and talk to others out of the state, but I can't hear some texas base stations or moblie units?? I'm not talking about locals stations... Talking about stations 300 miles away like you and others.

Thanks

JesseJamesDallas
05-29-2013, 05:03 PM
300 miles is too far for local, but not far enough for skip (in a nut-shell)...Sometimes...very rarely tho we get what I call "short-skip", when that happens you can talk to guys anywhere from 150 to 200 miles away...But it doesn't happen that often.

I'm sure someone knows what that's called, or how the atmosphere has to be to get it, but I don't...I just enjoy it when it does happen!:soap:

Silverado 996
05-29-2013, 05:17 PM
300 miles is too far for local, but not far enough for skip (in a nut-shell)...Sometimes...very rarely tho we get what I call "short-skip", when that happens you can talk to guys anywhere from 150 to 200 miles away...But it doesn't happen that often.

I'm sure someone knows what that's called, or how the atmosphere has to be to get it, but I don't...I just enjoy it when it does happen!:soap:

Roger that, thanks.

Fogdog
06-05-2013, 10:00 AM
I've kinda given up on the predator ever tuning good on my pickup. I got the longer shaft and it brought the swr down to 1.6-1.7, from 1.7 1.8. Not the change I was hoping for. I put the stick back on and the swr is at 1.1.1- 1.3.1. Much better, and again I'm getting good feedback from how my audio is. I'm really just back to square one. The same place I was 2 months ago when I decided to upgrade. That didn't work out so good for me.

Currently the last couple of weeks I've been working on the Dark side (HAM RADIO). i bought a handheld rig and I've been messing with that. Finally got it fiqured out and have been transmitting on 2 meters for a few days now. Lots to learn in the ham field.

The old 29 still comes on everytime I turn the ignition switch on in my Pickup, and I have found a couple of locals who like to BS on 17 and 24, so thats cool. I've just been real busy. It pisses me off that the 10k doesn't work, but sometimes you just have to cut your losses and go with what works best for you.

Later and 73
KK6ESZ :-)>

Gordon Gekko
06-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Sell the 10k and get a 55r4. You can get them directly from Terry or FatBoy

Silverado 996
06-05-2013, 03:44 PM
That sucks Fogdog. Have fun on the dark side. Let us know what you end up running as far as the antenner on your p/u.
Good luck.

Fogdog
06-05-2013, 05:33 PM
That sucks Fogdog. Have fun on the dark side. Let us know what you end up running as far as the antenner on your p/u.
Good luck.

Hey Siverado 996, Screw it Bro. I had some time today, and ya know I've never quit anything, so after reading my own post I said to myself Cowboy up Bro. I went out there and yanked the stick off the right side post and stuck that 10k in it's place. Thats where I want it anyway. Having a antenna in the center of the rack is stupid. I use the damm thing. I put ladders,boards, metal, etc up there. The antenna is in the way in the middle. Anyway I started tuning again, and after 20 trips in and out of my pickup and shop I finally got the GD thing to tune 1.4.1 across all channels. No $hit!!!!!

It's receiving pretty good too. I don't know what I did differant,but it works, and it's staying up there. To me 1.5.1 or below is just fine for this old Junkie. Damm that was a tough son of a bitch. You should see all my ground wires and bonding straps I got connected to my bed,frame,rack, and even my JBA Exhaust. Jeez. This rig is ready for war.

When you here my call sign, better turn your raddideo waaaay down. Ha Ha

Take care Bro.

The Fogdog is clear and out a here.

619 NJ
06-05-2013, 05:48 PM
Hey Siverado 996, Screw it Bro. I had some time today, and ya know I've never quit anything, so after reading my own post I said to myself Cowboy up Bro. I went out there and yanked the stick off the right side post and stuck that 10k in it's place. Thats where I want it anyway. Having a antenna in the center of the rack is stupid. I use the damm thing. I put ladders,boards, metal, etc up there. The antenna is in the way in the middle. Anyway I started tuning again, and after 20 trips in and out of my pickup and shop I finally got the GD thing to tune 1.4.1 across all channels. No $hit!!!!!

It's receiving pretty good too. I don't know what I did differant,but it works, and it's staying up there. To me 1.5.1 or below is just fine for this old Junkie. Damm that was a tough son of a bitch. You should see all my ground wires and bonding straps I got connected to my bed,frame,rack, and even my JBA Exhaust. Jeez. This rig is ready for war.

When you here my call sign, better turn your raddideo waaaay down. Ha Ha

Take care Bro.

The Fogdog is clear and out a here.

Glad to ear you got the thing working for ya! I can't even comprehend the amount of bs you have gone through to tune that thing. I'm really surprised at the trouble you have had, but every installation is different. I had mine tuned in literally 5 mins, but I think the puck made that much easier. In any event I'm glad it's working better :) keep up the good work brother.

Fogdog
06-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Glad to ear you got the thing working for ya! I can't even comprehend the amount of bs you have gone through to tune that thing. I'm really surprised at the trouble you have had, but every installation is different. I had mine tuned in literally 5 mins, but I think the puck made that much easier. In any event I'm glad it's working better :) keep up the good work brother.

Thanks man.

Silverado 996
06-05-2013, 07:22 PM
No $hit!! Well I'm glad it worked out for you bro. That antenna had your number. Can you tell a difference between the FireStik and 10k? I'll turn the radio down when the air on my hairs start arcing. :) lol!!

My ear will listening for ya, Breaka! Breaka!

Silverado 996
06-05-2013, 07:27 PM

619... Just admit your a freakin' 10k whisper! Haha!

JesseJamesDallas
06-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Glad to hear it's working out better for ya finally...That's one thing about Predator's, they just tune differently on different vehicles...

Tell ya another trick you can try with it..."IF" you have another stinger, you can take the top coil off your 10K, and make it a single coil and it might tune in even lower using that 17" shaft... It will end up taller because you will need a longer stinger to tune..May end up a foot taller with just one coil, just saying removing the small coil changes the characteristics of the antenna... You would remove the top coil, and the spacer between the two coils, then just screw the top section onto the bottom lower larger coil and have a regular single coil 10K.

for what it's worth...IMO the regular single coil 10K (the original 10K's) are the best of the bunch.

Fogdog
06-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Man, there is no way in hell I'm changing anything on that dual 10k. Ha Ha. It's truly the situation. if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Damm that was a serious drill trying to tune that thing. I don't know why, but it damm sure was.

Fogdog
06-05-2013, 11:11 PM
No $hit!! Well I'm glad it worked out for you bro. That antenna had your number. Can you tell a difference between the FireStik and 10k? I'll turn the radio down when the air on my hairs start arcing. :) lol!!

My ear will listening for ya, Breaka! Breaka!

Yeah I can Bro. One way I test the receive is to try and pick up the NOAA WX Station. There is actually three of them around here . One is about 8 miles away, one is 20 miles out, and theres one way out there. Anyway the stick can only pick up the closet one and it's kinda scratchy. It's the only station the stick can pick up. The ten k makes the close one come in almost perfect, and you can here the second one ok, and the one way out there is hard to hear ,but you can make some of it out. So it does pull in signals better IMHO.

I sure the main purpose of the 10k is so you can run big power. I don't plan running much more than I have unless a killer amp falls in my lap. I will say the thing looks like it should be able to give you serious RF burns if I transmit next to your rig. Ha Ha. People around these parts probably haven't seen to many of them. I see em all the time checking that thing out. Some will come up and say WOW I never saw anything like that. What is it?

I think it will also work with a 10 meter radio. Maybe some day I will get one of those. That would be cool. I'm not sure how many radio's I can fit in the cab. Jeez. Maybe piggy back it on my 29. It's a sickness Bro. You know how it is :-)>

73 Bro

JesseJamesDallas
06-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Man, there is no way in hell I'm changing anything on that dual 10k. Ha Ha. It's truly the situation. if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Damm that was a serious drill trying to tune that thing. I don't know why, but it damm sure was.
Awwwwwwwwwww come on....Can't leave it like that...If you quit now and leave it like it is..."What will you have to tinker with next week?":noidea::300 (96):

Fogdog
06-05-2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah U right. Wait a minute. No friggin way Dude.

Silverado 996
06-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Since I've only run FireStiks and your a former user of them, can you tell me and differences that you have noticed? I need to build a headache rack so I can run a 10k. Since I'm a welder / fabricator that's not a problem. To me if it isn't broke, I'm not going to fix it. I've never received a bad report local or skip that my rig sounded bad. I have receive plenty of complements. Here is a half rack I buildt last week out of 1.50" .125 wall 6063 aluminum tube. Sorry if the pictures rotate iPhone has a mind of its own.

619 NJ
06-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Since I've only run FireStiks and your a former user of them, can you tell me and differences that you have noticed? I need to build a headache rack so I can run a 10k. Since I'm a welder / fabricator that's not a problem. To me if it isn't broke, I'm not going to fix it. I've never received a bad report local or skip that my rig sounded bad. I have receive plenty of complements. Here is a half rack I buildt last week out of 1.50" .125 wall 6063 aluminum tube. Sorry if the pictures rotate iPhone has a mind of its own.

Nice looking welding, Silverado!

Silverado 996
06-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Lol! Thanks bro. I love custom fab work.

Fogdog
06-12-2013, 09:05 PM

First off let me say Nice Friggin Rack. San you say a roll of nickels. That aluminum stuff ain't easy to weld.
I tell ya Bro, if what you got works that good I would not mess up a good thing. My stick worked, and still does work real nice. I thought I'd get all fancy and what not with the 10k. So far I have had no DX'ing yet with it. None! I get out local but that it so far. I talked to a guy today who was about 2 miles away and I could barely make him out. I might have a radio problem. I don't know. Lately , actually ever since I put the 10 k and the amp on my radio has a whole lot of white noise, and not a whole lot of receive. I got the SWR down to 1.3.1 on ch1, and 1.4.1 on 40, so thats working. I don't know if the conditions are $hitty or what. Have you had good skip in the last two weeks?

Lots of people run these things, but Iam probably going to go back to the stick soon. I keep hitting branches, and that ain't good on the 10k. The Firestick with a spring can take the abuse I sometimes give an antenna.

Keep the stick, as long as it can handle the watts your running.

Silverado 996
06-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the complements. Been a certified welder going 16 years now. Aluminum is my favorite alloy to weld, then stainless.

Yeah the skip has been rolling good this week so far. I'm not able to get to your neck of the woods, but everything North East to do East of Texas.

I've never had any other antenna than a FireStik, I was just wondering if theres a big difference that you've noticed. I'll keep screaming your DX in the mic, maybe we will connect.

Fogdog
09-15-2013, 02:25 PM
I finally figured out how to tune my Predator 10k Dual coil SW.

1. Drive your rather large Pickup with a mild lift,and a 10K antenna mounted up high on the corner of you headache rack into an unfamiliar neighborhood.

2. Pull in to park in front of a house you've never been to, and attempt to park next to the curb.

3. While trying to park said beast, you don't observe the portable basketball hoop set up next to the curb.

4. Smash the basketball hoop with your $100.00 10K antenna, and insure you smash the exposed coils to the antenna, and to make sure you did it right hit it hard enough that it bends the marine grade aluminum headache rack that the antenna is attached to.

5. Get out of your pickup and survey the damage without anybody observing you. Trying not to barf in your mouth.

6. Conduct your business and leave . Hopefully knowing that nobody seen the big geek dork perform this act and quietly drive off.

7. Get home and re-shaped the bent coils, and bend the rack back into place.

8. Hook up your SWR meter and set the swr.

9. Notice how your SWR readings are much better now, since you smashed your antenna.

10. Sit back and enjoy a cool adult beverage reeling in the fact, that you are a true master at antenna tuning.

11. Lastly, never go back into said neighborhood, in case someone seen you perform such a heinous display of vehicle operation.

JesseJamesDallas
09-15-2013, 04:59 PM
HAHAHAHA! Believe it or not, I know a couple guys that swear their 10K's work better all beat up. I've even been over at Kales when someone brought in a 10K that they broke the shaft on, and just brought it in for Kale to fix, and other than having a broken shaft, the antenna's coil would look mangled, but they didn't want a new coil, they said the antenna worked "Better" mangled!

go figure...Maybe someday Kale will come out with the "Mangler"...:peace:

Fogdog
09-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Ha Ha. The worn in look.

the caveman
09-15-2013, 10:03 PM
:300 (135)::300 (135)::300 (135):
I finally figured out how to tune my Predator 10k Dual coil SW.

1. Drive your rather large Pickup with a mild lift,and a 10K antenna mounted up high on the corner of you headache rack into an unfamiliar neighborhood.

2. Pull in to park in front of a house you've never been to, and attempt to park next to the curb.

3. While trying to park said beast, you don't observe the portable basketball hoop set up next to the curb.

4. Smash the basketball hoop with your $100.00 10K antenna, and insure you smash the exposed coils to the antenna, and to make sure you did it right hit it hard enough that it bends the marine grade aluminum headache rack that the antenna is attached to.

5. Get out of your pickup and survey the damage without anybody observing you. Trying not to barf in your mouth.

6. Conduct your business and leave . Hopefully knowing that nobody seen the big geek dork perform this act and quietly drive off.

7. Get home and re-shaped the bent coils, and bend the rack back into place.

8. Hook up your SWR meter and set the swr.

9. Notice how your SWR readings are much better now, since you smashed your antenna.

10. Sit back and enjoy a cool adult beverage reeling in the fact, that you are a true master at antenna tuning.

11. Lastly, never go back into said neighborhood, in case someone seen you perform such a heinous display of vehicle operation.

I almost fell off the couch laughing my rear off :300 (135):

Fogdog
09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
1138As if I haven't already had enough trouble with my 10k antenna, I was out wheelin at the river today taking the dogs for a swim, and I picked up an extra passenger while I was going through the trails. Didn't notice it untill I got home Ha Ha. I was wondering why people were looking at my antenna today more than usual. It's camoflauge. (well it is almost buck season)

the caveman
09-16-2013, 02:59 PM
1138As if I haven't already had enough trouble with my 10k antenna, I was out wheelin at the river today taking the dogs for a swim, and I picked up an extra passenger while I was going through the trails. Didn't notice it untill I got home Ha Ha. I was wondering why people were looking at my antenna today more than usual. It's camoflauge. (well it is almost buck season)

Haha that is why I stick with my flexible fiberglass antennas!:)

Fogdog
09-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah the old Firestick I have is made for off road. This 10k is more for a city boys truck, or big rig. I'm always dodging trees. Guess I missed one today.

the caveman
09-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Yeah the old Firestick I have is made for off road. This 10k is more for a city boys truck, or big rig. I'm always dodging trees. Guess I missed one today.
I'd love to have a 10k but I don't run much power and the small gauge wire in the fiberglass antenna helps since I don't have a lot of power pumping into it and it transmits good. The antenna is rated at 750 watts. I'm going to send in the galaxy probably to bells to have it checked through, and have them crank up the power a little along with the modulation turned up just a bit. I've read somewhere that I can turn up the power and mod on my own inside the radio.

JesseJamesDallas
09-16-2013, 09:03 PM
I'd love to have a 10k but I don't run much power and the small gauge wire in the fiberglass antenna helps since I don't have a lot of power pumping into it and it transmits good. The antenna is rated at 750 watts. I'm going to send in the galaxy probably to bells to have it checked through, and have them crank up the power a little along with the modulation turned up just a bit. I've read somewhere that I can turn up the power and mod on my own inside the radio.
That's people's biggest mistake with Predator 10K antenna's...You don't need allot of power for one...4w's works just fine....so does 10 thousand watts, if that's your thing.

the caveman
09-17-2013, 05:42 AM
That's people's biggest mistake with Predator 10K antenna's...You don't need allot of power for one...4w's works just fine....so does 10 thousand watts, if that's your thing.
I might get me a predator single coil with the 17" shaft with a toolbox standoff mount.

Fogdog
09-17-2013, 09:44 AM
If you do, prepare yourself for total strangers asking you what thats antenna for. It gets all the attention. Oh, and yeah it works good also.

I've heard good and bad about Bells. Try nickybots on the other forum. I've never heard of a complaint, but as JJD has said , look long long enough and somebody wasn't happy. His price is very resonable as well. Shoot him a PM.

the caveman
09-22-2013, 05:58 PM
If you do, prepare yourself for total strangers asking you what thats antenna for. It gets all the attention. Oh, and yeah it works good also.

I've heard good and bad about Bells. Try nickybots on the other forum. I've never heard of a complaint, but as JJD has said , look long long enough and somebody wasn't happy. His price is very resonable as well. Shoot him a PM.
I just won a 102" whip adjuster and corona ball!:jaw:

Fogdog
09-22-2013, 06:26 PM
Man O Man Caveman. Your always scoring the goods. Do you happen to have the bottom stud with insulator for a PL-259 connector? I was backing my truck into the garage yesterday and thought I hade a few more inches before I hit the garage, and then I heard it.

The sound you don't want to hear when you have a 10K. $hit! Anyway I was going so slow that I stopped in time before I did any antenna damage but the stud is a gone er. I'm telling ya ,I'm gonna make that 10K an offroad antenna yet. The aluminum shaft on that thing is tough. It bent the headache rack, but not the shaft.

I am totally sold on that 10K. Kale makes one hell of a rig. A couple of times I was thinking maybe I'll just stick the old Firestick on, but I'm telling you This thing is legit. Save up your calms and get one of these bad boys. Worth every penny. And Kale is a good guy to deal with. He never even asked me for postage. I sent him a bunch anyway cuz I figure a man that sticks buy his product is a man I will continue to deal with. Just like the good ole" days when a handshake was a mans good word.

the caveman
09-25-2013, 02:56 PM
I need to get a heavy duty stud. I've got a friend that has an old heavy duty mount and stud on his semi he don't use. I might ask him about it

craig_sez
02-24-2015, 05:36 PM
When you used the jumper cables for grounding was there a totally metalic surface without paint??

Another issue is that i think super long jumper cables are affecting the issue..

I was always told to keep my grounding lengths as short as possible..
Example..

Headache rack to something metalic like bed rail....Bed rail to trk bed and bed to chassie..

Swr is not end to be all either..@a q.6 swr your only looseing less than 10% if memory is correct....Sounds to me its not gettin out issue its a rec issue and some good grounding in short lengths will do wonders...

I faught same issues on a volvo 18 wheeler..With my mfj 259b ant tuner i discovered that ant stud mounts made a diff in recieve to...I went from the el cheapo chrome covered basic stud mount to a beefy chrome stud mount to the alluminum colored wilson beefy lookin stud mount..