PDA

View Full Version : Sirio Performer 5000 / Turbo 5000

NY714
05-09-2013, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn-6-lpXjLo

Any opinions on this new antenna from Sirio compared to Wilson 5000?

Silverado 996
05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Tallman runs that same antenna and he loves it. You may want to PM him for more info. Tallman doesn't run amps, he just runs barefoot, by never the less he's been running the siro brand antenna for a while now. He replaced his K30 with the Siro.

Good luck

NY714
05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
The most important aspect of any antenna is its performance and the Sirio 5000 did not dissapoint. I did stationary tests to local stations from the mobile with both the Wilson 5000 and the Sirio 5000 mounted in the same location and both tuned for the lowest possible SWR.
In every test the Sirio received and transmitted better than the Wilson. In terms of measured difference, the smallest noted increase in performance between the two antennas was 1/8 S unit and the highest difference was 1 S unit. More than half of the stations reported at least a 1/2 S unit increase.
While a 1 S unit increase doesn't sound hugely impressive on paper, you have to remember that generally speaking 1 S unit = 6 decibels, which is a fairly noticeable increase on the receiving end of the stations you're contacting. If you already have a Wilson 5000, though, it might be hard to justify spending over $100 to get a small 1 S unit (or less) increase in signal.
After doing the testing between multiple local stations and taking readings I decided to do some testing of the antennas for DX. I waited for a day of solid DX conditions and then began testing the two antennas by switching them out while trying to talk to the same stations. While the whole process is fairly annoying (switch box and lots of reaching up on top of the vehicle) it immediately became clear to me that the Sirio had better RX and TX than the Wilson. Stations said my signal dropped with the Wilson and in a couple of cases with weaker contacts I couldn't get back to the station with the Wilson and once I put the Sirio back they could hear me again.
There are so many factors that make DX possible that one antenna might outperform another on a different day or a different vehicle so it makes measuring two antennas in this format fairly user specific. I will say that after running a Wilson 5000 for 6 months and then switching to the Sirio 5000, I find that making contacts with my barefoot setup (CRE 8900) at 50 watts seems much more consistent with the Sirio.
I tested the Sirio up to 500 watts in the magnetic mount setup without any power handling issues. It's advertised for 1500 watts continuous and 5000 watts intermittent use. The Wilson 5000 is advertised as 5000 watts continuous and 20,000 watts intermittent use. These advertised numbers aren't specifically with a magnetic mount setup and are probably more specific to a hard-mounted scenario. While many people do run large amounts of power into magnetic mount setups such as these, I generally suggest if you plan on running more than 500 watts you should take the time to do a hard-mount install. I also usually cut any advertised numbers in half and use that as my max power handling number to play it on the safe side.
FINAL THOUGHTSThe Sirio 5000 was definitely a bit of a surprise to me, especially since I've been a fan and proponent of the Wilson 5000 for so long. In my testing it outperformed the Wilson and its construction seems as solid, if not slightly better, than the Wilson because it doesn't use a plastic housing that is susceptible to UV damage over time.
I think for most people the Wilson 5000 will still be the antenna of choice because it's more readily available, has a lower price point, and has a more streamlined look when placed on a vehicle. However, for those more discerning radio operators the Sirio 5000 offers better performance at a slightly higher price. While I don't think I'd run out and buy a Sirio to replace a perfectly functioning Wilson, when the time comes for replacement I definitely know I'd be picking the Sirio.

Silverado 996
05-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Great write up!

Gordon Gekko
05-11-2013, 05:40 PM
The P5000 blows away the Wilson 5k all around. Better TX, RX, looks, handles enough power etc. Also its a sturdier design. Not cheap plastic like the Wilson. Spend a couple extra bucks over the Wilson and buy it.

High Voltage Mobile NJ
05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I heard only good things about that antenna . :encouragement:

Tallman
11-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Tallman doesn't run amps, he just runs barefoot, by never the less he's been running the siro brand antenna for a while now. He replaced his K30 with the Siro.
That was then and this is now. I have my amateur license now and I have run an amplifier that Dead Keys 500 watts AM and I made contact all over the place on SSB. The Sirio 5000 is a great antenna. Low SWR over a large amount of frequencies.
I checked the antenna down at 26 MHz and the swr was still good.
Barefoot on CB I routinely talk over 15 to 20 miles around Louisville and that's better than most.

222DBFL
11-11-2013, 06:59 AM
Yep the sirio pl5000 is a great antenna, even with the mag mount I can talk between 40-60 miles locally and all over the world dx'ing. I use a magnum 257hp and I 1st used a K40 mag mount, did the job but it will not do what the sirio has. I have made more contacts using this antenna than I ever have lol. It truly is a great antenna and no slouch that's for sure. My only peeve is that mine is mounted rather high and tends to hit the top of the whip on things, it had a tendency to bend the tip of the antenna, I used some small diameter heat shrink to go down about 1ft and it seems to be helping the bending problem I was having as the heat shrink helped absorb and toughen the top of the antenna up a bit. Only time will tell if it truly works I guess but It did not interfere with my tx/rx or swr readings at all. Here is a photo of my setup, and oh yeah I changed the coax out for some rg8x, 17ft 4in. To be exact. Swr readings are same as factory coax and now I have the length I needed. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/11/tytuna7y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/11/y2y2azy8.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/11/yba4a4yg.jpg
The top of my work van is roughly 8ft 6" give or take a few inches, it puts my tip at a bit above 14ft lol. Height does help a bunch, just have to watch out for low hanging objects lol. Great antenna setup and would recommend it to anyone that is thinking of either changing out a wilson 5000 or a k40 of which both I have used and the sirio spanks them both JMO.

stang
04-07-2014, 05:17 PM
So do all you guys agree this is about the best mobile antenna out without being super eye catching like a monkey made or predator 10K? What is the difference between the performer 5000 and turbo 5000?

Thanks

222DBFL
04-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Yes IMO, they are the best next to a 102" whip or any other antenna of that length. The base is different on the turbo vs the performer, one has a handle type release and the other is with an Allen wrench. The performer has the handle piece off of one side to tighten it as shown in the photos you posted above of my setup. The turbo has the base with an Allen head that tightens it down. That is the only difference between the 2. Great antennas IMO.

stang
04-07-2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks again trying to get all my ducks in a row. lol

222DBFL
04-07-2014, 05:48 PM
No worries. They are pretty good antennas. Are you getting one to hard mount or a mag mount? If you get the mag mount, buy the 145 mag from sirio, it's the one made for the performer. Same one in the photos as I use.

stang
04-07-2014, 06:10 PM
I'll probably get the mag mount. Never know when you'll need another truck or to move from one to another. I also doubt I'll ever go over 500 watts.

Thanks

222DBFL
04-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Then that will work wonderfully IMO. They are great antennas and are great for dx'ing as well.

NY714
04-07-2014, 07:02 PM
I'll probably get the mag mount. Never know when you'll need another truck or to move from one to another. I also doubt I'll ever go over 500 watts.

Thanks

IMHO, doesn't matter if go over 500 watts on these magnet mounts like the Wilson 5000 and the Turbo/Performer 5000 better spending the extra $20-$30 bucks because the internal coil is larger (Than the lower models) and makes them put out better for 500 watts or even 1,500 watts

NY714
04-07-2014, 07:13 PM
Yes IMO, they are the best next to a 102" whip or any other antenna of that length. The base is different on the turbo vs the performer, one has a handle type release and the other is with an Allen wrench. The performer has the handle piece off of one side to tighten it as shown in the photos you posted above of my setup. The turbo has the base with an Allen head that tightens it down. That is the only difference between the 2. Great antennas IMO.

Very close but owned both, it is really when you want to fold the antenna now to put your car in garage. You don't have to remove the magnet or antenna off the roof, with the Turbo, you just have to twist the base counter-clockwise and the entire antenna folds down. Like I said for parking at your house in garage or should you need to pay for parking at an event can lower the antenna without removing entire entenna like the Wilson's, those you have to remove the entire antenna, put a cap on magnet mount and can leave just the magnet on roof, where as the Sirio can leave the entire magnet mount and antenna, just fold down as low as you want. Now with the Performer it is easier to fold there is a handle to just flip and the antenna folds over as with the Turbo need to twist counter-clockwise to loosten the re-tighten once hit right angle. The Performer just flip handle to loosen, lower antenna and flip handle back. Very little difference. I had the turbo at first then exchanged for the Performer finding it easier to fold on a daily basis to put car in my garage. Both have the Allen key to adjust the whip for SWR's, but I found both antenna's came from factory already tuned to flat SWR's on channel 1,20 & 40 and was able to go well above channel 40 and still have practically flat or very low SWR's. Much more bandwidth than my Wilson 5000 Magnet, probably due to the whip being almost 10 inches longer than Wilson.

Tallman
04-07-2014, 07:36 PM
If you buy the Sirio Antenna you won't regret it. I have had mine for two to three years, low swr over a large range of frequencies. I can run a cb or my ten meter radio and do not have to re-tune. Broad bandwidth and great receive. Sirio got it right with this antenna.

222DBFL
04-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the backup guys, i can solidly speak for the performer 5000 as in use it everyday to dx on 11 meter SSB and have no issues talking around the world with the right conditions. Well built and mine has stood up to some pretty good hits as well. I have also modded mine and used a cut 102" whip and extra magnets on the underside, but the stock antenna works fine as well.

stang
04-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Great info guys thanks. I'll be ordering one or two next month I am quite sure. Gonna take care of the base station first though.

Y'all talk loud and say it proud!

Hayseed
05-24-2014, 08:32 PM
Where can I buy a Sirio 5000?

222DBFL
05-24-2014, 08:34 PM
H&Y electronics or DNJ Radio.

NY714
05-25-2014, 12:17 AM
Where can I buy a Sirio 5000?

H&Y Electronics better if can get there or have to go to DNJ onlt 2 distributors of Sirio Products in USA. May find also on Ebay

222DBFL
05-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Last I checked, DNJ only has the turbo 5000, not the performer, H & Y may have the performer in stock. I will say this, I just purchased the megawatt 4000, and am liking it so far. I like the way the base is set up vs. The performer 5000, less weight up high, and the whip is almost 6" taller as well, putting the mega watt 4000 at just about 7ft. Tuned just as good as my performer 5000 as well. Won't handle as much power, but I am not running that kind of power any way. Just some food for thought. I love my performer 5000, I just think there are a couple of improvements that could be made IMO. They are coming out with a newer version I believe, that's why DNJ doesn't have them in stock or so it says. If they do revamp it, I will grab one. I will say that the megawatt 4000 is a great antenna for the money and so is the performer 5000. The turbo 5000 may be my next purchase as I want to compare the locking mechanism. Will keep updating on the megawatt 4000 as well. Probably start a new thread soon comparing the different sirio antennas that I have gotten. Anyway, hope this helps and god bless.

Hayseed
05-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Thanks a bunch !! I am satisfied with the 5K for now, BUT, IF SIRIO is coming out with a new one,I will just wait and see . I do occasionaly run a little fire in the wire so I will wait to see what the new one might have to offer.

Thanks again.

NY714
05-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks a bunch !! I am satisfied with the 5K for now, BUT, IF SIRIO is coming out with a new one,I will just wait and see . I do occasionaly run a little fire in the wire so I will wait to see what the new one might have to offer.

Thanks again.

Same here use the Performer 5000 and works amazing, not to say the Wilson 5000 was bad at all. Just seems to have lower SWR and has ability to go much higher than 40 and lower than channel 1 with SWR not changing as much. I personally wouldn't out and buy if I had a good Wilson 5000, but if ever in the market to buy another try the Performer/Turbo 5000. In my opinion a bit better for locals and night and day difference for skip talking. With the performer also love the ability to just fols down antenna if going into garage or low parking area, as opposed to the Wilson had to remove whole antenna and put in trunk. Just my opinion.