preps
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another NOOB

Yep, that’s right another new guy……. North West AtlantaMetro Area……..
    I bought a Midland 75-822 hand held unit for a road trip I just got back from. Bought a mag-mount K30 antenna to go with it and had a shop check and set the SWR just to be sure. Had to dig for the old SWR meter ofmine, it’s been a while…. Unit worked well for what I wanted it to do and the weather bands were a plus.

I had a CB years ago in the late 70’s and it was a good one for the time until someone else decided they wanted it and broke into the car and stole it. I know it was someone I knew but I could not prove it so…

This road trip got me thinking maybe I would get my feet wet again and I have bought a 29LTD Classic. It is supposed to be “Peaked and Tuned”whatever that really means. I think he turned a pot of some kind on the back left corner of the board and it appeared he may have cut a wire or something over on the right side just short of the center of the board.

I do find it discouraging that I can’t seem to find any channel where there is any chit chat from locals in my area and finding a shop where someone will talk to a noob is impossible. It would seem they want me to purchase a 10 meter radio tuned to CB frequencies and I don’t really mind that, but what for? If no one is talking then it doesn’t seem it would be worth the trouble.

And now I am here after lurking a bit and looking for any and all information I can find on today’s radios. I will be checking for information and what people are saying about different radios and antennas and ideas for mounting both in my little work truck (03 Ranger). I drive 106 mile round trip for work mostly I-75 and listen mostly to the trash talk from truckers going up and down the road.

Well, for now I guess that’s it. Until next time…

FATKAT
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FATKAT For This Useful Post:

mark_Hughey (03-15-2016), markus82 (12-05-2015), Steve_Buckeye (11-18-2015), Unkle Buck (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why is your entire post blacked out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Blacked Out?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your text in your first post is black in a black background....hard to read on Tapatalk on my phone.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SSB or single side band is where there seems to be more action on these days vs AM. The am crowd usually are guys with large antennas or big amps or a combo of both. On SSB 12 watts and a good antenna setup you can talk a long way. Not dissing AM one bit, there are still a lot of AM'ers out there. But not near as many as 10-15 years ago and certainly not from the 70's. Maybe get yourself a uniden 980 CB/SSB radio and tune to channels 36-40 LSB. Use the clarifier to adjust people in. Most of of the time if you sit long enough you will find someone that is on freq, tune to him and leave it. Those radios are locked on the transmit side and are normally dead on frequency out of the box. Not a big power house radio, but best bang for the buck for a new radio that doesn't need much to make contacts other than a good antenna setup and some decent conditions. You might get lucky and make some dx contacts on AM with the radio you have now, but sounds like you got a truck stop golden screwdriver special. He most likely clipped the AMC which controls the modulation. This can cause distortion and depending on what else he turned, the radio could be transmitting onto other freqs as well. This is not good. If possible and you can see the clipped wire, resolder it back together. You may lose a bit of power on a watt meter but at least you won't be over modulating. JMHO. As far as radios go and what you want to accomplish, there are several variables. Get the radio back to stock, JMO, and get the best antenna setup you can afford. Again, JMHO. Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clubguy View Post
    Your text in your first post is black in a black background....hard to read on Tapatalk on my phone.

I don't know why that is. All responses show in a grey field on my computer. I did not pick a background color or a text color. Not sure at all. Maybe the admin will know an answer.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This text looks good.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    White & gray on my end...But welcome FATKAT..

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    SSB or single side band is where there seems to be more action on these days vs AM. The am crowd usually are guys with large antennas or big amps or a combo of both. On SSB 12 watts and a good antenna setup you can talk a long way. Not dissing AM one bit, there are still a lot of AM'ers out there. But not near as many as 10-15 years ago and certainly not from the 70's. Maybe get yourself a uniden 980 CB/SSB radio and tune to channels 36-40 LSB. Use the clarifier to adjust people in. Most of of the time if you sit long enough you will find someone that is on freq, tune to him and leave it. Those radios are locked on the transmit side and are normally dead on frequency out of the box. Not a big power house radio, but best bang for the buck for a new radio that doesn't need much to make contacts other than a good antenna setup and some decent conditions. You might get lucky and make some dx contacts on AM with the radio you have now, but sounds like you got a truck stop golden screwdriver special. He most likely clipped the AMC which controls the modulation. This can cause distortion and depending on what else he turned, the radio could be transmitting onto other freqs as well. This is not good. If possible and you can see the clipped wire, resolder it back together. You may lose a bit of power on a watt meter but at least you won't be over modulating. JMHO. As far as radios go and what you want to accomplish, there are several variables. Get the radio back to stock, JMO, and get the best antenna setup you can afford. Again, JMHO. Good day.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiCk_DiAbLo View Post
    White & gray on my end...But welcome FATKAT..
    Thanks for the replies. Yea, I may need to work on a better antenna. I don't mind poking holes in this truck as it is well.... a work truck, but at times I have to go in parking garages / decks and head room might become an issue even with this K30. I am told that the Wilson Little will is a better antenna for a mag-mount? opinions welcome on that.

I have been looking for shops in my area and they are few and the response seems to be cold to the new guy that don't know much. Just sell him something, he don't know any better! I will have to pull the radio out of the truck and open it up and see what I can see for re-soldering any cut wire. That is why I really would like to find a shop and or group that can and is willing to answer the stupid questions that they know are common knowledge among them and the group. Stupid New Guy!

I don't really have any idea where this (Hobby I will call it) will go. For now I need knowledge and solid reasons why I would go one direction or the other. This could wined up like my RC Car hobby and I will have one of everything!

Is that the way to DO IT......?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FATKAT For This Useful Post:

Steve_Buckeye (11-20-2015), Unkle Buck (12-05-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think soldering the wire back together will help with your output or clarity. From my research, I would say the cut wire opens up the 10 meter band which includes the "free band" in the 28 mhz range. The "free band" is not really free, it is a no-no to broadcast on it until the FCC approves it for use. The cut wire will also give you access to the ham band. Don't talk on that without a license.

As for clarity and power, don't over modulate your voice and you should be able to be heard just fine. I'm sure the tech increased your power output from 2.5 watts to 5 watts.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None