preps

Thread: Uniden 680

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uniden 680

I recently acquired a BC680 in a trade. I've been wanting to try one of the newer digital radios that are coming out and see if they are as good as the more classic looking radios. It was tuned by DTB for the previous owner. I did a temp install in my pickup. I haven't had much DX conditions lately but it seems to work better than I expected locally. I still need to do a side by side comparison but I like this radio better than I expected. I only have a Dosy meter so I can't give any reliable PEP readings, as it isn't a true PEP meter. But I gave a 5W dead key and 15W peak. The receive is much more quiet, as far as vehicle noise or RFI from surrounding powerlines etc., than my Galaxy 95t2. I don't think the receiver is quite as good at picking up weak signals, but it is still pretty good and the white noise won't drive you nuts. I had a log truck driver calling out his position and I verified via topographical map at 6 miles away as the crow flies. I don't know if I'd have this as my main radio, but so far I would recommend it to anyone who wants a non SSB CB that is compact and easy to use.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to grease monkey For This Useful Post:

the caveman (08-21-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by grease monkey View Post
    I recently acquired a BC680 in a trade. I've been wanting to try one of the newer digital radios that are coming out and see if they are as good as the more classic looking radios. It was tuned by DTB for the previous owner. I did a temp install in my pickup. I haven't had much DX conditions lately but it seems to work better than I expected locally. I still need to do a side by side comparison but I like this radio better than I expected. I only have a Dosy meter so I can't give any reliable PEP readings, as it isn't a true PEP meter. But I gave a 5W dead key and 15W peak. The receive is much more quiet, as far as vehicle noise or RFI from surrounding powerlines etc., than my Galaxy 95t2. I don't think the receiver is quite as good at picking up weak signals, but it is still pretty good and the white noise won't drive you nuts. I had a log truck driver calling out his position and I verified via topographical map at 6 miles away as the crow flies. I don't know if I'd have this as my main radio, but so far I would recommend it to anyone who wants a non SSB CB that is compact and easy to use.
    The receive isn't all that good on those radios, which is why I ended up taking mine out of my Tacoma...I'm not sure if the receive can be tweaked any or not like you can on other radios, since these have the new surface type boards in them...But they are quiet as for as the noise go's.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't think picking up signal from 6 miles away is that bad for this little guy. Both radios being basic FCC types. It isn't great receive, but it definitely isn't the worst I've had. When I get some traffic on air, I'll take some S readings between my Grant XL and my Galaxy 95t2 to compare it to.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grease monkey For This Useful Post:

the caveman (08-22-2013)

Visitors found this page by searching for

uniden 680 review