preps
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New antenna

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    Yes sir, it sure is a heavy one, it's one of the original monkey made antennas right from the storage unit in Daytona beach, fl I bought mine right from monkey man himself, it was the large 3 wrap coil I believe it's called the big coil or something, it was a good antenna, tuned to 1.1 swr at 50ohms on an mfj analyzer. But like you said its heavy, my plate for it is made of 1/2" cutting board type material 10"X10" square, had it mounted on a 89 jeep Cherokee, about a foot off back end of the roof. I also was running a 1x2 foxy made from Lakeland, fl and a 54 Steele made 8 pill behind it. Did pretty good, had 2 deka unigy 150 amp hr batts. As well, all stock alternator on 12 volt system. That was in 2003. Been a while since I have played with anything big, I am a 2 pill mud duck now lol.
    Oh yeah those are large antennas for sure! I currently have a 4 foot Firstik FS. Its not bad but I want something that can shoot skip a little better. But I'm more of. Mud duck here. I'm running a 10 watt galaxy barefoot!
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

2. The Following User Says Thank You to the caveman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    222, I got that number for ya. Jeez! it's right on the antenna. Duh! Kale at (817) 790-6239 Cowtown Antennas.

73 The Fogdog is clear and out of here!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

the caveman (11-27-2013)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks fogdog will be giving him a call here soon. I also am going to get my radio soon it's going to be the 955hp, you and doug at custom cb's, have got me sold on the radio. Keep hearing good things about it and it will also be a good radio for the amp I already have. Thanks much for everything sir and have a Happy Thanksgiving. God bless.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

hard mount

Please help, and thanks in advance. I have the Wilson 5000 mag mount, it is older now. Thinking of getting the Sirio 500pl.
    My question is there any advantage to hard mounting vs mag mount as far as noticeable performance?
    Thanks in advance.
    I will drill holes. (neatly of course) Again thanks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to buffalo soldier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mag mount vs hard mount performance wise? Thanks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to buffalo soldier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes there is. A hard mount will work much better. A good hard mount for the Sirio 5000 series of antennas or many more are the Breedlove 3" one hole mounts. They are made with quality materials and do a great job. They aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for. Use good coax. I prefer lmr240 or lmr240uf. Good coax. And bond the vehicle as much as possible. Here is a pic of the Breedlove mount I am speaking of. I've mounted 4 of them on 3 different vehicles. And everyone worked well. At any rate here you go.
    And as to why hard mount is better than a mag mount. You get a better bond to the vehicle. Don't have to maintain it like a mag mount. Also many different antennas can be used if you purchase the adapters as well if need be for a different antenna. Find the best location to drill the hole at by using your mag mount. Not hard to do. Most of the time it's a bit forward or back of center of the roof. But a hard mount is definitely the way to go!! 110%. Once it's done you won't have to worry about antenna ever coming off. And also no moisture under magnet and scratching of the roof. When or if you sell the vehicle, plug it with a cheap Wilson gum drop mount. No one will notice!! There are many more antenna options with a hard mount setup as well. But I have found the Sirio 5000 to be pretty close to being as good as a 102" whip and spring. I have been sold on them for a while and recommend them to many people, all of which seem pretty happy with the antenna. I have talked out to 30+ miles on SSB with 10 watts of pep power back to a base. Not base for a mobile. Breedlove mount on top of a ford e350 work van. Radio was a uniden 980 with the power turned down to 8-10 watts pep. At any rate. Just my experiences. There are other mounts that you can buy that are as good as the Breedlove. But I have never had an issue with any I have used or installed either. Easy to work with and one heck of a mount. Breedlove's home page is breedlovemounts.com.
    You want the model #804 mount. Shipping is $10.
    Hope this helps some. Also since there is a variety of mounts that Breedlove sells you can get a different antenna if you so choose to, just make sure you get the correct mount for the antenna you do get. Don't know if I said this, but they have adapters so that one mount can be used with other antennas if need be.
    Truly hope this text wall helps.
    Research before you buy. And don't skimp out on the antenna system as it's the most vital part other than the radio. Good coax, connectors, mount, antenna, bonding of body panels to frame as well as exhaust system and engine block using flat braid ground straps cut to be exact length. No extra if you can help it. 1/4"-1" ground strap braid will work. Grab some of each size and the proper lugs. Also use NO-OX special "A" on all electrical connections. And anywhere you make a connection to metal as well.
    All of this will help ensure you are getting most of the power out of your system and out the antenna. Take your time and do it correctly and I promise you will be happy you did. Especially if you are serious about making things work at their best. JMHO's and again, hope some of this helps and have a good day.
    73 and God Bless

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Wink B (02-14-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. You were more than helpful, and I'm gonna do the bonding thing to.
    Again man, thanks. I'm mounting center roof 1997 Ford Explorer.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffalo soldier For This Useful Post:

222FL (06-18-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries. Just the way I have done a few and all tuned well and had great rx and tx. For anything taller it's pretty much a 102" whip that will outperform it. But not by much at all. Anyways. Be safe, take your time, and have fun. It's worth it to do it right the first time. Bond everything before you tune your antenna as well.
    Again, glad to help if I actually did LOL. Good day.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got to read this I have the Wilson 1000 on my truck and I am quit pleased with it. Got mine out of the box placed it on the roof (magnet mount) and did not have to touch the antenna the swr was perfect.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is good to hear. Just make sure to keep it maintained as in keeping the water and/or moisture from under the magnet. Yes it happens!! And also watch the coax where it enters the vehicle for any pinching. This will change the impedance of the coax and also give you other issues as well. I prefer the Sirio 5000 antennas, but the Wilson antennas work just fine as well. The old ones did anyways. The new ones did have some QC issues but I think they have been resolved. At any rate, good to hear you got things working.

Visitors found this page by searching for

wilson 5000 antenna

stryker 5000 antenna

sirio performer 5000

predator 10k antenna

Wilson 5000 problems

predator 10k flimsy whip