preps

Thread: Home Base

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Home Base

As the new guy I figured I'd contribute to this topic with a picture of the radio I use in my house as a base station.

I recently had to mod it. I took my radio apart to check something and accidentally blew the bulb in the meter so I put a blue LED with a 12v resistor in its place.

This is the radio. I'm running this Cobra 148 GTL with a 12 amp Pyramid power supply, 50 feet of coax and an Antron A-99 antenna.

I recently upgraded to a Superstar DM-452 echo power mic and I'm able to talk 20 miles or so barefooted in mountainous country, so this setup does alright.
    Name:  cb.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  179.1 KB
    Name:  cb2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  221.0 KB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerowen For This Useful Post:

the caveman (01-01-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerowen View Post
    As the new guy I figured I'd contribute to this topic with a picture of the radio I use in my house as a base station.

I recently had to mod it. I took my radio apart to check something and accidentally blew the bulb in the meter so I put a blue LED with a 12v resistor in its place.

This is the radio. I'm running this Cobra 148 GTL with a 12 amp Pyramid power supply, 50 feet of coax and an Antron A-99 antenna.

I recently upgraded to a Superstar DM-452 echo power mic and I'm able to talk 20 miles or so barefooted in mountainous country, so this setup does alright.
    Name:  cb.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  179.1 KB
    Name:  cb2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  221.0 KB
    Nice looking radio. Thats probably what I will do for a base whenever I get to putting one up.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Figured I'd post an update since I hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Here's the antenna. Since taking this picture I've added a couple zip ties to the steel pole to hold the coax still so it's not just flapping in the breeze.

The small wire coming off the grounding rod is going to my scanner antenna, the larger one goes to the CB antenna. The grounding rod is a 4 foot coal mine roofing bolt.

Also I've reached some new range tests. For the past 3 or 4 nights there's been a guy about 65 miles away who comes in and talks to us here, and he says I come in loud and crystal clear using this setup. There's another one about 35 miles in the other direction who comes in and talks and he says I come in good and loud there, so this little stock radio is doing pretty good.

Antenna
    Name:  antenna.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  1.23 MB

Grounding rod
    Name:  ground.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  1.59 MB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerowen For This Useful Post:

the caveman (02-17-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good! Did you know you can get a blue channel display for $12 of eBay easy to fit and would set it off a treat... cheers from down under .... 351....
    Name:  1393493506739.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  612.0 KB... :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

Gerowen (05-26-2014)

Visitors found this page by searching for

cobra 148 gtl dx range barefooted