preps
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uniden bearcat 980

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Uniden bearcat 980

I am waiting for my new bearcat 980 to get to Australia
    As soon as its hear I will post some pix of it running.
    As far as mods go I'm still looking for NEW ideas, as radio
    Seems to be hard to add mods too.. Would have liked to have had
    Snakeradio tune it before it got hear. More info and opinion's coming
    up once it gets hear... Dam fedx...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

the caveman (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Start thinking about a good antenna. You can buy the best radio on the planet, but It ain't nothing without a good antenna. What are your plans for the radio? Base/Mobile?

As far as mods, if it has a variable power knob just forgo the mods, and match it up to a good amp, and you'll be talking to us in no time. If you need to have echo, and other strange noises, get a RF Limited 2018 extreme Mic for it. It has everything except a roger beep pretty much.

I don't know your history of Radio knowledge, but on Side band radio, echo's,roger beeps,noise toys, and the 10 codes are frowned upon out here anyway. Don't get me wrong though, a lot of people still use them on SSB, but that don't get much respect, and will not get taken seriously. So you might not get to many contacts that way. Turn all that stuff off, and use some power, and you'll be golden. Just my two cents worth. Take it or leave it.

73 The Fogdog is clear and out of here!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

Steve_Buckeye (11-20-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    that radio is SMT. dont even bother opening it up. Internet reviews all in agreement that this radio is not an audio and/or power monster.

Best bet, call a reputable shop and ask what can be done with it and match it up to a good
    power mic (Astatic 575-M6) and get an amp if you want power. If memory serves me, that radio has some weird ass mic jack. If thats true and if you arent radio savvy, better off having a tech mire the power mic to the radio.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bulldog has had mods done to his
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by the caveman View Post
    Bulldog has had mods done to his
    Love to know what mods he has ? Saw snakeradio in u tube tuning one !..
    Still considering witch antenna to get siro 387 number may be rong and spelling,
    but its on ebay.
    I was looking at imax 2000 but told they dont like big power, so still open to ideas.
    I have got the extreme 2018 xtr and a RM- kl203p for this rig and some small fans
    for cooling, also got galaxy swr/power+ ant matcher, new 30amp power supply 9v~16v
    I have read some of the chat about there being better amps but this is a cheep start up for me
    and if all go's well may buy better one down the track. Oh and setting up as base for now
    I live in the bush (Australia) and run on total stand alone solar power set up so a bit limited
    but only at night in winter... I don't like some of the features on mike but you don't have to use them
    Don't mind the roger beep but endless echo ? What for... I got that mike after reading some good reports
    about its power and quality... Friday and still no radio it has taken 1 month so far from USA to oz.....
    Global shipping Of eBay's is a joke.. So Monday with any luck, Also just got a uniden 224 this morning in real nice nick so that will be
    the mobile for the 4x4..... Cheers Darryl

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Waiting is hard to do. It does give you something to look forward to. When you get it, it will be a good day for sure. I was reading up on that radio on cbradiomagazine.com. He was saying it can't be tuned up to much. He syas that RF 2018 extreme will be the way to go with the 980. He also says it's very stable on SSB. He says a small 2 pill amp at least will be a good match. Hope to hear you on the air.

73 from Nor-Cal

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tassie devil View Post
    Love to know what mods he has ? Saw snakeradio in u tube tuning one !..
    Still considering witch antenna to get siro 387 number may be rong and spelling,
    but its on ebay.
    I was looking at imax 2000 but told they dont like big power, so still open to ideas.
    I have got the extreme 2018 xtr and a RM- kl203p for this rig and some small fans
    for cooling, also got galaxy swr/power+ ant matcher, new 30amp power supply 9v~16v
    I have read some of the chat about there being better amps but this is a cheep start up for me
    and if all go's well may buy better one down the track. Oh and setting up as base for now
    I live in the bush (Australia) and run on total stand alone solar power set up so a bit limited
    but only at night in winter... I don't like some of the features on mike but you don't have to use them
    Don't mind the roger beep but endless echo ? What for... I got that mike after reading some good reports
    about its power and quality... Friday and still no radio it has taken 1 month so far from USA to oz.....
    Global shipping Of eBay's is a joke.. So Monday with any luck, Also just got a uniden 224 this morning in real nice nick so that will be
    the mobile for the 4x4..... Cheers Darryl
    I hope to hear you sometime! Ive never talked to Australia. Ive heard someone in Australia for a second before but I lost them soon after hearing them.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What Make of 4x do you have? I run a 2010 Nissan Titan 4x4 ,5.6 V-8 warmed over a bit. I have the Stryker 955, with a Predator 10K antenna in it. I also have a 2meter/70cm Ham radio in the cab also. No amp yet.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdog View Post
    What Make of 4x do you have? I run a 2010 Nissan Titan 4x4 ,5.6 V-8 warmed over a bit. I have the Stryker 955, with a Predator 10K antenna in it. I also have a 2meter/70cm Ham radio in the cab also. No amp yet.
    Sounds great,
    I have a land cruiser hjz 75 very strong motor been tickled up, just fitted a tipper tray, big alloys rims called outlaws, made in oz..
    Will post some pix when I learn how to do it, I'm building a roof console to mount radios in, made from black heart sasafrass..
    Cheers...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds killer. Like to see some pictures sometime. How about those Holdens? Is that the correct name of those cars with the V8 and the truck box. I think there made by Ford. Whenever I see one of those in a movie located In Australia I wish I could get my hands on one.
    What do you guys think of those down there. Are they popular like the Ford F-150's are up here?

When you get your radio installed , let us know. I always get on 38 lsb and call out for all my Cb Junkie friends in hopes to make a contact with them. I'll add #351 from Australia to the list.

Last edited by Fogdog; 01-12-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

president grant ii vs uniden bearcat 980

what mods can be done to uniden bearcat 980

bearcat 980 echo

adjust modulation bearcat 980

astatic 636l verses bearcat

adjust uniden president grant 2

uniden bearcat 980 with roger beep

galaxy 979 vs uniden 980

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1111-Uniden-bearcat-980