preps

Thread: DX Number

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

DX Number

So I get that a DX number is some kind of identifying number that's unique to the individual, but I'm kind of lost as to where they come from. Do people make them up? Are there guidelines surrounding them? Are they issued from the FCC to HAM operators and are the people who have them just HAM operators who have tuned into the 26-27 Mhz range?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

DX Number

Most people make them up. Use a number that is your lucky numbers, bday, or any combo of numbers that are easy for you to remember.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have been wondering about this for a long time . i had a theory that truckers used them as a way to relay what highway they were on , guess i was wrong about that .now i suppose i will have to come up with my own , thanks for the info 2222dbfl
    Last edited by stealth; 04-01-2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: grammatical error

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Numbers are the same as handles...unique numbers to identify by...

Something to think about when picking a number to go by on the air...

Pick something no one else has..."triple 5, double nickel, 007, 747, have already been taken by at least 6 dozen people..."

Try and stay with no more than 3 numbers...like 346,785,903....Too many numbers makes it harder for the receiving station to pick up on if the conditions are not all that good..."Keep'em short"

When talking DX, I always like to use my handle and my number, this way if conditions are not all that good, if a receiving station can't make out your handle, least they might be able to catch your numbers...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    JJD nailed it!!! Thanks much sir. 222DBFL, we're standing by. BTW, JJD, you venture onto SSB much?? I don't have the AM station that I used to have, but I can talk ssb pretty well, been hearing Texas and talking to a few guys from there lately. I am working around SW Florida, from Tampa to Naples. Maybe I could try to give you a shout, I know you can talk this way lol. Anyway, thanks for breaking it down for the poster and god bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Been getting on SSB late in the afternoon when DX is rolling out of Australia. .. Haven't tried the SE much mainly because I haven't had much conditions on AM that way... Might just give it a try this afternoon after I get home tho... Be around 6 or 7pm your time..

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I went with 2&3/4. Something stupid and diferent but catchy.
    QUACKA QUACKA FOR A MUD DUCK CHECK QUACK QUACK

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some times a person just picks some numbers that just sound cool. I have been using "555 triple nickel" since 1969.
    Some use the area code of where they live, 512, 817, 303 etc.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerowen View Post
    So I get that a DX number is some kind of identifying number that's unique to the individual, but I'm kind of lost as to where they come from. Do people make them up? Are there guidelines surrounding them? Are they issued from the FCC to HAM operators and are the people who have them just HAM operators who have tuned into the 26-27 Mhz range?

Just use a number that has some sort of meaning to you personally, like my number came from the 70's when it was common "714" Then I joined the World Radio Club and was able to make certain contact around the world, now I have become officially "World Radio 714" actually someone in California had already taken those numbers so really I am officially "2WR-714NY" but I prefer the other one and rarely do I hear the original from California.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Visitors found this page by searching for

how to get a cb dx number