preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why the hate

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    THAT'S ME..... I NNNEEEEDDD CH 38..... LOL

351 said that !
    Give me a call on 38 LSB 27:385 one day... :-) How many pill's is too many ?

Solar Radio 351.... Tasmania, Australia.

.....Smile and enjoy life ...

" Most Southern Station in this Nation"

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    THe old Lafayette SSB-25 and SSB-50 were a good base and mobile pair. It wasn't untill the units went to a phase locked loop to set the frequencies that other channels and sliders were able to be easily modified. The first SSB cahnnel was 16 LSB and then 27.325 MCS (not yet channel 32) was good for international skip. Where you mount a whip and how high makes a big difference in propagation but SWR too.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My first was a 18ch cb....
    Give me a call on 38 LSB 27:385 one day... :-) How many pill's is too many ?

Solar Radio 351.... Tasmania, Australia.

.....Smile and enjoy life ...

" Most Southern Station in this Nation"

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have an 1975 14 channel JIL it has the old 11 NZ channel set up, the problem is i can splatter other channels on the 40 channel system because of its wide KC spacing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado 996 View Post
    Yeah but that $200 dollar truck had a heck of a stereo in it also!
    It had a Kraco PBS-90 and a cheap 8 track with am/fm. Would run you out of the truck at half volume. And this was way before the loud stereo systems of today. That was back in 1977. That ugly old truck had over $600.00 of electronics installed in it. My favorite tune to play on that system was Pink Floyd album that had the tune that started out with "We don't need no thought control." That truck was just plain "RUDE."
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallman View Post
    It had a Kraco PBS-90 and a cheap 8 track with am/fm. Would run you out of the truck at half volume. And this was way before the loud stereo systems of today. That was back in 1977. That ugly old truck had over $600.00 of electronics installed in it. My favorite tune to play on that system was Pink Floyd album that had the tune that started out with "We don't need no thought control." That truck was just plain "RUDE."
    The Wall.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by halfwatt959 View Post
    Any idea why almost everyone hates on the old 23ch radios? From my experience, wich aint much I admit, they usualy have beter recieve than the newer 40s. Where I am most people dont want anything to do with them and yet they very seldom talk between 24 and 40. Just wondering if its just because they are old or obselete or what? I guess the other 17channels are just nice to have even if ya never use them. What do yall think? What, if any are your favorite 23s?
    Alot of older people still like the 23 channels but in my personal opinion all the skip is on 26,28,31, and 38 LSB. So in reality they are out of style unless you have a specific group of people who still talk AM on channels under 23. They work awesome and alot have tubes inside and have awesome audio but most of talking is sideband above 23 and/or skip also above 23 on AM. They are excellent radio's other than that. Most people are even using the freeband now, above channel 40 and below channel 1, but not as to go on to 10/12 meter.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Initially, the operating frequency was optained with two crystals, some found that swapping them out gave different frequencies than the alloted channels. That's when the first users found 27.325 (now channel 32) and it became an international skip contact frequency and were urged to move contacts off to other quiet channels. The western Pacific, down under and the coastal states all had daily contacts during solar peaks. Then the Phase locked loop can into being and the method of selecting channels became a logic function and was easy to reprogram. About that time, the mid 70's, the market began importing Japanese "ham" radios that had 11 meters built in. Swan, Drake, Yaesu and others made some very nice gear with solid state receivers and tube finals. A nice clean 300 W PEP and audio circuits that retained fidelity on transmit.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't read all of the replies yet, but I would say most people stay away from the old 23 channel radios because a lot of them lost their FCC certification because of how bad they are to bleed over when compared to newer radios.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None