preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my first base plan

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by halfwatt959 View Post
    Is the other leg just a reflector or does the ground hook to there? I have 36' more or less of rg11/u that I belive is 75 ohm I would like to make a dipole out of but aint sure about impedence mismatch. I did have a land-matic antenna matcher but it died and I haven't replaced it yet. So my dipole plans are on hold for now.
    The one on the right is another fiberglass antenna that is grounded to the mount. It works as a groundplane.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the caveman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

caveman, sir

The antenna you show is the exact version I use on my truck. I just found a new radio doctor and he was saying why not do this to that steel whip and add the downward antenna for the rest of the dy-pole. Talk about ears I got them now. I do not use amp. to help the receive or send. My passion is to qrp with low vol. Good job and thanks for the picture.
    There are two kinds of ships at sea Submarines and targets

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redwagon For This Useful Post:

the caveman (03-14-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by halfwatt959 View Post
    Is the other leg just a reflector or does the ground hook to there? I have 36' more or less of rg11/u that I belive is 75 ohm I would like to make a dipole out of but aint sure about impedence mismatch. I did have a land-matic antenna matcher but it died and I haven't replaced it yet. So my dipole plans are on hold for now.
    Halfwatt, the antenna on the right works as a ground radial. it is a generic 4ft fiberglass antenna that i have completely grounded to the mount by removing the insulator and the guts to the so-239 have been missing for awhile so i used it as a spacer. i have changed it around so that the ground radial is horizontal instead of vertical. the top antenna, which would be my transmit antenna, is a 4ft Firestik FS series. the swr's tune out very low and i talk to locals which are 10+ miles from me consistently.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

6. The Following User Says Thank You to the caveman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile reply to homemade ant

The antenna I was looking at is call "peg leg". I found this data on a search of antennas. I copied a fellow cb-junkie locally where he uses a 102" steel rod for the send tx and then rx is shorter and I used a spare antenna to made the down vertical part. I did not measure anything but the rod used was a k-40 4'. The down antenna is connected to the ground side of the whole antenna and ends with a heavy ground of size 8 wire. I did not take the coating off in that when you are in the woods some people like copper wire better than you do. There is a sign that warns of "this truck has rattlesnake at times so do you feel lucky PUNK". The cameras are running so get busy or leave the area. Sorry this could be your lucky day. Here on Rocky Top there are some snake handling people.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to redwagon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love the rattlesnake sign Mr. Red. I used to have one that said WARNING PROTECTED BY HUNGRY PIT BULL WITH AIDS. Never had a problems with thieves when it was up. until someone stole the sign. Go figure.
    QUACKA QUACKA FOR A MUD DUCK CHECK QUACK QUACK

10. The Following User Says Thank You to halfwatt959 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice. Why does it have to be that way. "When you are good as we are it's hard be humble "

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redwagon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So how did the antenna work out??...I was thinking about doing a dipole that looks similar...

Visitors found this page by searching for

None