preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Time to chose .. Is the rm 505v any good

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    351, Dave made amps are what xforce and most other companies that build amps have copied. The Dave made amps are great amps, just didn't cross my mind at the time as there are so many options these days. Look at the gold box Dave made's, they are worth every penny. And as far as biasing goes, a/b, or class b are good for ssb, class c amps are more for am, less filtering. The better the biasing a, a/ b, b, c are classes of amps, a or a/b biasing being at top and b biasing being 2nd or 3rd. Class c amps are normally not used for ssb. Get at least a biased b amp for ssb. As far as the 1x4 or straight 4 pill, it depends on the radio. The grant 2 will work well with a 1x4 as Long as you keep the pep watts to around 20 or less. A straight 4 pill won't put out the same numbers but will last forever with the grant 2 being used and if you ever decide to step up to a dual final or more powerful radio you have some headroom with a straight 4 pill. It's a matter of opinion maybe, I like boxes with no driver section as I use more powerful radio. Go with what suits your need the best and also keep in mind about future purchases of radios. JMO. The Dave made amps are good, xforce and fat boy have basically copied the design and made their own line up. The Texas star amps have been around a long time as well and are a good amp. Like I said, some of it is fact and some opinion, do your homework and buy what you like. God bless.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

solarradio351 (03-21-2014), stang (03-22-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All a preamp is going to do is make the static louder.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

solarradio351 (03-21-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Again thanks for the info guys.. still learning this way.. noticed the force is c class but then you add$$ for the biasing to have b class I think ? Is that how it works? Look at xt400m for me .. any good.? Gonna have a look at this gold box... cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, get at least biased b, if you can get a/b biased. Preamp is up to you but as said, it just brings up the floor noise more. It may help it may not. I don't use a preamp, if I can't hear you I probably can't talk to you, but I have used pre amp on another amp and had success, it's all about the filtering. On the tx and rx sides. The m400 is a good amp, look at the Dave made 1x4 as well, before making any final choices.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (03-22-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cheers 222 and Gorden.. will put a bit more homework into it before ordering this one, The last pre amp was a waste of power , my dad had a old school one that was a little ripper, just seemed to make voices louder and not all the background noise ... have ordered new IRF540's to have a go at a home repair, also might get smaller amp for the 4x4 I can use it till new one is sorted.... I am still a bit stuck on Texas Star, If not the Dave Made would be my choice ... Thanks again for helping out ;-) I have picked up a bit more information I never had a clue about... Fruit, Farming and Land management that's my field ! Lol...... Thanks.... 351 ..Come eat a Tassie apple ... :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For an every day talker I had spectacular results with a little 2 pill box.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-24-2014), solarradio351 (03-22-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Will look at a 2 pill think I may be aiming a bit high for my solar system ( for now ) I do spend A lot of time on air.. 351 ;-) hillbilly style..lol
    Give me a call on 38 LSB 27:385 one day... :-) How many pill's is too many ?

Solar Radio 351.... Tasmania, Australia.

.....Smile and enjoy life ...

" Most Southern Station in this Nation"

14. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A good 2 pill will get you out just fine, it's all I use. That and a magnum 257hp. I get around 300-400 watts and it's clean so I have been told by many. My amp is an old xforce built 350hd 2 pill with 2 pre red dot 2879's, biased b. high and low switch and ssb switch. And a large fan on top, it works well even with my uniden PC122XL I got reports from hams that the audio was top shelf, got ideo gated on classic radio roundup on dec 4, while in the Baltimore, MD area. Anyway a 2 pill will work well with the uniden grant 2 and will get your name called, it's all about antenna system and conditions after that IMO.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Visitors found this page by searching for

None