preps

Thread: Oldtimer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oldtimer

This would be more of a confession than an introduction. I began as a volunteer fireman when just 15 and was introduced to a Midland CB as their communications. Found all kinds of people to talk to when not on a call. After learning electronics while in high school I wasn't able to avoid the draft in 1968. In 1970 I got assigned to Hawaii aboard a marine craft and traveled the western Pacific extensively. I was introduced to singlesideband and the wonders of the phaselocked loop. While in the western Pacific I was able to talk to alot of others on what was 27.325 MCS. now known as channel 32. The club of HF International bloomed internationally and exceeded anyones expectations for a clandestine frequency. Worldwide skip was possible and Hawaii was a serious contact for many. I mailed many a QSL card and received hundreds in return. I have all the equipment for a solid state high power station but no antenna to use. The high price of antennas and just a 30 mast continues to keep me off the air. As a now retired field service engineer, communications still remains important but dump the phone. GMRS and FRS offer better short range for the walky-talky crowd (kids) but are useless for anything in rough terrain. Now that I can read the forums I'm sure there'll be more to add.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

Visitors found this page by searching for

None